Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless

• 15-01-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm getting a laptop soon. I already have Eircom Broadband on my desktop, with a USB modem and a crappy long wire that keeps getting stepped on and knocking off my Internet. What will I need to do so i can set up my new laptop and my desktop on a wireless internet connection. Or network or whatever. Thanks. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Throw a network card in each pc, connect them via crossover cable and have one pc connected to the net all the time, using ICS.

Throw a wireless card in each pc and share via ICS

get a router/modem combo (wired or wireless) and have that connected to the net all the time and no need to have all the PCs on at the same time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DingChavez wrote:
    OK, I'm getting a laptop soon. I already have Eircom Broadband on my desktop, with a USB modem and a crappy long wire that keeps getting stepped on and knocking off my Internet. What will I need to do so i can set up my new laptop and my desktop on a wireless internet connection. Or network or whatever. Thanks. :cool:

This is what I would suggest for the simplest route but definitely not the cheapest!

Buy a wireless router with built in modem ( 2 examples - and if you want to connect the pc wirelessly you will need a card like this

I don't know what your plans are for the laptop but a lot of them are coming with wireless already installed if not a wireless card will be necessary Argos were selling Belkin ones for about 35 euros up to recently.

Advertisement