Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th yr-take up geography now?

Options
  • 15-01-2005 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im in 6ixth year now and screwed in physics.
    I dont do Geography but could i just start learning some of the compulsory answers that are going to come up in the exam and sit that and get around a C in honours?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's probably not the most sensible thing in the world to be taking up a new subject 5 months before your exams, especially one as reading-heavy as geography...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I wouldnt, id sort out the physics, Geography is just too much to learn mate. But if you feel confident enough, talk to the Geography teacher and see what they have to say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Sure its map, photo and field study, then all you have to learn is regions, you would be well able for it mate, you dont know what mite come up in map or photo, copy someone else's field study and do your regions, whether it is wise is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Why not just talk to your Physics teacher and ask him/her to explain things you don't get? If you learn the definitions and formulae you should do ok... Even if you don't like maths (which I didn't) most Qs are simple substituting into the formula and you get marks for each step so even if you don't get the right answer you can still get most of the marks. There's a specific number of Qs to be answered and if you look at past exam papers you'll see there are some parts you could leave out. If you do all the past exam papers you can do really really well in Physics, and if you use the Folens past papers, I can give you the teacher's code so you can go onto their website and see done out solutions for each Q in their sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

In what way are you "screwed" in physics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I have no interest in it,I dont know where to start and I fell there is too many formulas to learn..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I'm doing geography but not physics, so I would def advise you (unless you find it really easy to learn reams of stuff off-by-heart), to stick with the physics and just get a bit of help. Geography is basically learning off lots of theory and putting it all in essay form and then writing like hell for 3hrs and 20mins in the exam - I agree with what other ppl have said; it's too much this close. But, if you get a bit of help with the physics i.e. ask your teacher to explain stuff you can't get your head around, or maybe ask a friend who is good at physics to help you, you'd have a much better chance of doing well. Well, at least, that's how I would see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I would get one of those less stress more success revision books, and read the hell out of it, would certainly be a lot easier than learning geography from scratch. All you have to di in physics is understand what your doing, and you'll see the formula's make themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I can give you the teacher's code so you can go onto their website and see done out solutions for each Q in their sample papers.
    What are these codes about? How would u get them? Do you have any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Go for geography its not that bad really, I did it as an extra subject for my leaving cert and only did a few extra classes in the evenings.

Should be no problem to you. Just learn how to read the maps and describe a town from an aerial photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LoLo18

I think its a good idea, take it up and still stick with the physics.. Tbh, its not that hard unless your looking for a very high grade in it. If you learn your regions, photo, ordnance survery and landforms etc I think you'll be fine.. I didnt do the field study question but as far as I can remember there was alot of material to learn with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

johnnyq wrote:
    What are these codes about? How would u get them? Do you have any others?

I only have the one for physics, they're the codes given to teachers so they can print off answers to Folens sample papers (as physics is quite a new course). For any subject that doesnt have a new course just look on www.examinations.ie for answers to past papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

a friend of mine droped physics for geog last year after xmas and turned out to be one of his best results in the entire LC he got a c1 in higher geog if i remember right

physics seems the easiest of the 3 sciences alright and really isnt bad once you break it down to stuff you can mange,once you get to grips with electricity,mechanics and waves you would be easily in C area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Surely chemistry is easier than physics? That was opinion anyway. The chemistry course is tiny, very doable within 1 year, so you've at leat 6 months study time for it. Get the organic down, and thats a huge part of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

each to their own i guess,chemistry just doesnt click with me,physics and biology were easy smeasy though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

My advice to you is to stick with Physics. Yes I do know Physics is a bum of a subject but to cover the entire Geography course in just five months would take up a massive amount of effort and determination and at the same time you must also remember not to forget about your other subjects.

Advertisement