Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application Success Rate in Naas and other Districts

Options
  • 15-01-2005 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Have got some feedback from friends dealing with various applications for handguns around the country some Positive and some Negative.

I'll be applying shortly in the Naas Garda District and wonder if there has been any feedback from anyone applying in that area.

Info that I received so far has indicated that there is no uniform policy between the 127 (I Think) different Garda Districts So thats 127 different Garda Supers that basically have the power to deal differently with applications as they see fit.

Hopefully somebody can enlighten me as to the success rate if any in the NAAS DISTRICT

By all means include details on your own district, I have no doubt it will help others applying in your area.

I have heard from a reliable source that there were 7 applications in Navan however only one was granted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gun Shy wrote:
    Info that I received so far has indicated that there is no uniform policy between the 127 (I Think) different Garda Districts So thats 127 different Garda Supers that basically have the power to deal differently with applications as they see fit.

Yup, that's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Hope the following is interest to some, I stand to be corrected on the following but my sources are fairly good

If you live in Newbridge then forget applying for a licence for anything other than a .22 or a shotgun basically the Super wont even entertain you.

If you live in Kildare town the situation is somewhat better in that at least the Super is prepared to Listen and although he has refused some applications (dont know on what grounds) he has approved others although he did require 2 Landowners, membership of 2 (yes 2) seperate clubs, and an alarm system in the house (He didnt mention it being monitored) so no one asked.

Still looking for someone who has met the super in Naas so I can be forewarned before I darken his door.

It's an unfortunate situation GunShy, but unfortunately, that's the side effect of the principle behind the law (that of giving the final authority to the man on the ground who knows the applicant rather than to someone sitting in an office on the far side of the country). Of course, superintendents aren't there for life, there are promotions and transfers happening continually, and there is also the possibility of petitioning the supervisor personally and trying to change his mind (though obviously, this requires some cop-on and a lot of diplomacy!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

How much of this is down to the Superintendent? Newbridge in the past had a fairly stringent firearms liason officer (not sure if there has been a change of personnel in the last couple of years though) - one of who's more notable requirements was that deer hunting rifles must be stored in the attic. In the majority of cases, the decision to grant or not is down to the firearms licencing garda who fills out the application form.

civdef wrote:
    In the majority of cases, the decision to grant or not is down to the firearms licencing garda who fills out the application form.
    Well, in effect yes, the garda's recommendation on the back of the form is the bit that carries the most weight, but legally the final authority and responsibility lies with the super. So I suppose you could "get around" it if the local garda had a bee in his bonnet and the super didn't. Mind you... it'd be messy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement