Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motornet.ie Forum gone

Options
  • 15-01-2005 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I am very upset over the Motornet.ie forum closing down :(:(:( - they used to have a great classic car section there - I note that there is none here - only people talking about insurance, NCT's and toll bridge charges - and nobody posts pictures :mad:

Why is there no classic car section? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

jeez tcm going since 2002 minute i join it goes belly up !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What's the story there ?
    I looked at the site forums and it said "closed due to legal vulnerability" ???

I didn't know about motornet.ie until now !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I have noticed that a number of forums have closed in the past few days citing "legal reasons" for their closure..what the story I wonder

BTW, I agree Alfasudcrazy, a Classics forum would be a great idea for boards.ie !!!

alfa is just looking for somewhere to post pictures of his alfa gt :D . btw anyone out there got a dolly sprint ? Is there any in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pearse

I am deepley shocked - I've been with Motornet since Ken McCarthy set it up in 1997....

Does anyone know why this has happened?

Any other Motornet members around here?

yea it's amazing tcm gone. I really liked the feel of it, people who are as mad about cars as i am. :confused:

stratos,

I haven't got a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, but I've seen many at classic car shows here over the last few years.

I was at most classic car shows the last few years never saw any sprints.
    Where did you see them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pearse wrote:
    I am deepley shocked

So am I, WTF :mad:

Must be something to do with our fecking libel law :mad:
    :confused:

• Advertisement

I'd just finished watching The Beach on the pc when I decided to browse the motors forum. Oh, inspiration and coincidence!

Lets check with dabeecha, he'll surely know more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Pearse wrote:
    I am deepley shocked - I've been with Motornet since Ken McCarthy set it up in 1997....

Does anyone know why this has happened?

Any other Motornet members around here?

hey, who switched out the power...it's all dark and lonely here now....?.

Dunno, any number of possibilities;
    Not profitible to host a forum for a bunch of malodorous cretins.
    Just to prove the pen IS mightier than the sword.
    Legal eagles will have their way.
    Been bought by ClearChannel, where personal opinion is a career killer.
    "Josh" hacked it.
    Shut down by the CIA as the Al Quida Ceili Band were using it to send secret notes 9usually very flat ones) to each another.

Cannot imagine it is liable law, given all the propoganda it still hosts on car reviews.

Open letter to the mods:

Dear mike65, borzoi and absent as always neil3030 *and just after verifying, seamus, huh?*

Not sure what happened just now to motornet.ie but let's presume the worst case scenario applies. In this case motornet has gone forever and we all should do our best to make sure that all the best traits of the motors forum here on boards.ie can merge with those typical of motornet. It will be beneficial to us all as there are some people with great knowledge and experience out there!

Would it be possible to retrieve the history of motornet and include it here? Adam?

Motornet was a self modding (=no practical penalties apply) forum. I feel this worked out great, although obviously not even a troll could be banned

Remember all, we're not browsing these forums to slag each other off, we all do love motors

Even a sub-forum under motors which would not be moderated, might be a solution

Anyone, especially veteran users on motornet and here and of course mods here, your opinions please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tech_nician

With a bit of luck this will only be a temporary glitch while they sort out whatever issue is currently holding them up. I don't believe either that it is a real legal issue. Looking back on the threads over the day there was nothing even remotely dodgy being said (unless you count giving the bacons stick once again). I also don't believe this will be a permanent thing. Like Pearse I have been there since 1997 through thick and thin and Motorweb has always managed to ride out its "crises". Having said that I do believe the recent influx of classic car fans and MX5 drivers may have had something to do with the closure.

Pearse, PM me if you get a chance.

Edit: Some **** already took my username!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I doubt that the lads here want to have anything to do with the legal problems over at motornet in the form of a subforum, being unmodded is probably why it had to close down, someone just went way beyond the line?
    I dunno if there are enough petrol heads on this forum to suffice a vintage section....but then again if motornet has gone under for good, boards.ie > motors will get alot more custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

WTF has happened to TCM's board ??? :mad:

I went there this morning and see that it has been wiped - with NO previous warning. I had to search Yahoo for references for it before arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Tech, why do you say

"Having said that I do believe the recent influx of classic car fans and MX5 drivers may have had something to do with the closure"

There was *nothing* libellous said in any of those threads. The only iffy stuff I saw might have been the satellite codes that someone was selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

unkel wrote:
    Not sure what happened just now to motornet.ie but let's presume the worst case scenario applies. In this case motornet has gone forever and we all should do our best to make sure that all the best traits of the motors forum here on boards.ie can merge with those typical of motornet. It will be beneficial to us all as there are some people with great knowledge and experience out there!

Would it be possible to retrieve the history of motornet and include it here? Adam?

Motornet was a self modding (=no practical penalties apply) forum. I feel this worked out great, although obviously not even a troll could be banned

Remember all, we're not browsing these forums to slag each other off, we all do love motors

Even a sub-forum under motors which would not be moderated, might be a solution

Anyone, especially veteran users on motornet and here and of course mods here, your opinions please!

Personally I'd welcome any new members - but as some of the lads have said. hopefully it's only a temporary thing. But in the meantime - welcome.

I'd suspect the admins won't allow a totally unmoderated forum, the mods only work here, doing the admins bidding! A suggestion in 'forums' might be the way to go, and also to host the archive, though as I'm in no way 'puter savvy I couldn't tell ya.

More activity about classic cars or any other particular area would then lead to sub-forums on that sort of thing. I know this is a very broad church covering everthing motoring related at the moment, and I know it doesn't suit everybodies taste, but things grow change and develope over time :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

All seems a bit sudden to me, one minute I'm posting on MN in work, few hours later I check it at home and it's gone!!! Weird....don't know about it coming back either. The message on forums.tcm.ie would lead me to believe it's a permanent closure. :(

Suppose all the MN heads will make their way here eventually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hav'nt discused this yet with my fellow mods but I'd be happy to see a sub forum moderated by someone with a particluar interest in classics.

Head over to the forums er forum and get the ball rolling.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Frank, I was joking, although if you do want to own up to anything fire away... ;)

Paulo, you survived!! Hope you didn't grab the last lifebelt dude. I have a feeling here and Octane in particular will be busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi guys,

Sad to see the end of TCM but it looks like I have the jump to this forum intact.
    Nice to see a few familiar faces who have also made the jump. :cool:

Anyone know what really happened? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tech, indeed I did - although I suffered the same fate as yerself with the username being already taken.... :(

I'm beginning to wonder was it that "race to Athlone" thread that was the icing on the cake, especially as someone's name was mentioned... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pearse

I'm still reeling from the shock. Kinda half hoping some sick freak has hacked the forum and is just trying to ruin my weekend.

Where do we go from here? What about all our fellow Motorwebbers? Do TCM fully understand the impact this is having on our community? And we are a community, that must give us some kind of rights? I wish I had Ken's Email add to hear his thoughts - it's his baby, and Ken himself told me that it is the Forums that made MotorNet so successful. As far as I see it, MotoNet will die a slow death without the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

Hi All, bit of a shock that, one minute it' s there, next gone in 60 seconds! I was a member of Motornet since July 1999. :(

Regards,
    Citroman.

Citro, was looking for you today on Duke St. Myself and a couple of MN'ers headed over hoping to hook up with with the Dublin Cruisers lot but nobody out today it seemed. The Goldwing lot were in full attendance however :D

Didn't even know who to ask for, pm me if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I was a MotorWebber (later MotorNetter) since 99. Strange that its gone (would be curious to hear the real story) but I'm sure most users will migrate over here, for better or worse.

Maybe the extra moderation over here will weed out the banal dross that occasionally surfaced at Motornet. Otherwise, I'll have to wait a few weeks and figure out who to add to that all-important ignore list.

BTW, if you were looking for Ken, I'd hazard a guess that a main dealer in the South West bearing the same surname had their website designed by the same man. If you know his surname, that cuts it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well you are all very welcome to the boards.ie motors section.

Emergencie exits are here, here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

There is still the e-forecourt classic site, maybe we should all start using that?
    http://www.forumsireland.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

I have a '79 Chevy G30 campervan and will be buying a reliant scimitar GTE overdrive soon.

• Advertisement

shagman wrote:
    will be buying a reliant scimitar GTE overdrive soon.

Loved the look of that car at the time

plastic_car.jpg

Tis very dated now though :confused:

Hope you realise the mean driving distance between failures is about 400 meters :p

Advertisement