Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands Year?

• 15-01-2005 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

With Ireland now able to name a full strength squad in the lead up to the six nations, England's main man Wilkonson only 50/50 for the Ireland game, and even if he does make it he wont have match fitness, and the sweet chariot still in the repair shop anyway, The French having to travel to Landsdowne....and we all know the French don't like to travel, and England arrive on our shores this year also, Scotland and Italy still light years behind us, is the new found confidence,the mass revival in Welsh rugby from almost slipping behind the Italians in recent years the only threat to Ireland finally taking their place in world rugby and realising their potential by winning the Grand Slam?

I dont think i'm being over optimistic when i say that i think this will finally be our year. Fortress Landsdowne will be the deciding factor, but after taking apart tri-nations champions their, doubt is no longer in my mind!
    What does everyone else think the six nations holds in store for the nearly men of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm not sure I'd base too much optimism on the performace against South Africa. It wasn't a competitive game so I don't think it's a fair comparison to six nations matches/performance.

I'd like to think this could be our year, but I'll wait 'til I see the other teams in action on the opening weekend to make a proper judgment.

There are always a few surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Definitely our year. It's not like we've ever slipped up against... say Scotland?

And the French won't be pushovers.

And the English are looking to make a point.

And Wales are sick of us beating them in Cardiff.

And Italy? Well, that one *should* be in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Agreed on Cardiff... but hopefully not this year. While I think that Wales are showing signs of picking themselves up from dismal lows, we are that much better even when playing badly. England and France on the other hand - we might beat them if we play really really well. Otherwise not a chance.

I'm not that happy with our ERC performances - don't know if it's my being overly pessimistic, but I think the provinces have gotten away with a lot of bad performances.

Oh well, off to Lansdowne I go. Several people on this board have my mobile number - give me a shout if you're on for a pint after the game.

Al.

• Advertisement

If RoGo is playing :)

Err, and (shh, don't tell anyone) what happens if Stringer gets injured in game 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Not a fan of Easterby but i think the move from LLianli has made a big difference too him. Jonh Hyes gets injured Marcus comes in and Reggie swaps sides and we get another prop - but i see the gap who else do we have of International standard(no one) thank god the A Team is coming back.

And no i dont mean B.A Baracus :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Amz wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd base too much optimism on the performace against South Africa. It wasn't a competitive game so I don't think it's a fair comparison to six nations matches/performance.
    QUOTE]

Hey many people would argue this point with you especially the players, the autumn internationals against italy and SA were two of the most compeditive and intense matchs i have ever seen. Both games required full concentration for 80 minutes which is something ireland have found hard in the past and if they can bring that form into the 6N they will be hard to beat.

And yeah i totaly agree wit u guys i am already worried about that welsh match can see us slipping up to the stupid taffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Sundy wrote:
    Hey many people would argue this point with you especially the players, the autumn internationals against italy and SA were two of the most compeditive and intense matchs i have ever seen. Both games required full concentration for 80 minutes which is something ireland have found hard in the past and if they can bring that form into the 6N they will be hard to beat.
    You can argue with me all you like, but if Ireland had lost those matches would you be so quick to commend the performances and view it as a reliable precursor to the Six Nations?

I realise that friendly isn't perhaps the most apt name for those matches, but when the incentive isn't the same as a World Cup title or Grand Slam title then there really isn't going to be the same motivation to perform etc.

The same monetary gains etc. aren't there as a motivation to perform well in such matches. The squads often aren't those that would normally be together for World Cup, Six Nations etc.

I'm not trying to take anything from the performances against South Africa et al, but I'm not sure I'd base too much optimism on them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One things for sure , if we're to win the 6N then we need to win the Grand Slam , as England and France are likely to outscore us against the **** teams .

I think we've a great chance and with the way the fixtures are lined up we could well do the grand slam while England lose their first 3 games :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Despite England haveing a point to prove AND having a fantastic squad, the expierience and leadership is gone on the field through dilaligho and Johnson, and off the field Englands biggest asset of all Woodward they havnt come close to recovering, and aren't as much of a unit as Ireland, and when the last 10 minutes come around if Ireland are still within a score ahead/behind the expierience will be the difference and we will win....The French have not done well in Landsdowne for a long time, and even when they have won it's been down to a bad Irish performance and a crucial missed kicked by Humphrys, neither of which will happen again, Scotland have no backline, Italy have no Forwards, but Wales will be the hardest game I think, remember last time? O'Gara drop-goal? Hickie Blockdown? If you can get closer than Skin of the teeth, that was it....but since we already expierienced that, we know what to expect, and wont underestimate them again....we'll kill that game off with our superior backs before the last 20 minutes, so they don't have the chance to spoil us in the final 5 again. (almost)

Ireland are priced at 7-1 for the GS, down from about 15-1....get your money in fast!!!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&selectvcgrp=3235&category=SPORTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How can you say in all honest that Wales will be our toughest match?

Cant remember the order of the matches but if we beat England or France (whoever is first) we should have the confidence to beat the other team, luck allowing.
    It wouldn't be 100% confidence of getting this but it has been one of the better years to do it.

Because picture it, ireland set for grand slam glory in cardiff all we have to do is beat the strongest welsh team in a good few years. Its all set up for a welsh spoiler. Out of all the 6N teams the taffs hate us most and they will not want to lose to us for a 6TH time in a row

Wales is always been a good match but they ahte England more and out to blood them.Some great players on the Welch side but not as good as the Irish still - All depends who is captain of the Irish this year,BOD is a greta player but no leader in my view.

Would give the mantle to Paul O'Connell, at the moment he is playing like a man possesed and what strikes me most about the player is he is calm and always talking to the players,something Reggie does too but think to the future.

Nukem wrote:
    All depends who is captain of the Irish this year,BOD is a greta player but no leader in my view.

Would give the mantle to Paul O'Connell, at the moment he is playing like a man possesed and what strikes me most about the player is he is calm and always talking to the players,something Reggie does too but think to the future.

I couldn't agree more... i even felt when he got the job is was a bit of a "roy of the rovers" appointment, like England making Beckham captain in footy....give it to the best (arguably) and most famous player to lead...or maybe even wilkonson for England rugby :) just thougt about it there...

I think it may have even takin away from O'Driscoll's game a bit initially....he works a lot harder now off the ball, and winning the ball, not sure if thats related to the captincy, but certainly before the emergence of D'Arcy last year it seemed as a bit of a burden even!

O'Connell is a good suggestion for captain, i agree going for youth, even stringer as possible captain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

There is no doubt that England is the toughest game despite the chariot been a bit crocked, The French don't like Lansdowne Road recently, Wales are improving but still way behind us, Scotland and Italy shouldn't be a problem.

(kiss of death that)

daveirl wrote:

Yeah i agree wit u on that one alrite. Was reading an article in the leinster match program and Andy Ward was tipping Guy Easterby to be the surprise package of this year and make the lions tour. Interesting but i wouldnt hold my breath!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

england said they have changed their play to a more exspansive game. i know a lot of teams like using the buzz word "expansive" but seen their strength now lies more in the back line. should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Only when they have a back line. As it stands at the moment putting 7 backs on the pitch healthy and ready looks like it will be a challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rhyno

if Ireland are to win the 6N's, they must have as many game winners on the pitch as possible and Girvan Dempsey is the furthest thing to a game winner you can have. i think he's been fantastic for Ireland over the past few years but with the emergence of darcy in centre pushing horgan to the wing, it means geordan murphy has to be put a full back. i think it's time for O'Sullivan to stop being loyal to his team and start picking form players. That would also mean that Peter stringer must go aswell. Munster fans have to admit that he's playing the worst rugby of his professional life and even though Easterby's passing isn't as good, he offer's so much more attacking options.

True rhyno, easterby does offer more, and imo is playing the best rugby of his pro career as apposed to strings....but has stringer really been playing THAT bad? i know he's had a poor season, but i didnt realise, and have been suprised by the strength of opinion by a lot of people, that strings has got to go! Maybe im in denial but i'd be even more suprised if eddie bit the bullet and dropped him....as for Dempsey, i don't think O'sullivan has been picking him out of loyalty, there's usually and injury somewhere, and with such a versitile back line it can always be shifted arround an injurie to accomidate dempsey at fb....but if O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, Hickie, Horgan and Murphy are all fit he wont be in the side.

A little off topic here...but whats the deal with HC qualification this year...im unclear about how the CL effects qualification this year....i thought top 3 provinces qualify for HC regardless of how scot/welsh clubs finish....is that not the case?
    And what if Ulster finish above Connacht, but connacht win the Parker pen cup? Do all 4 provinces play HC next year? And if that is the situation does that mean we wont have Parker pen representation from then on?
    (so confused!!! :confused::confused:)
    If that happens, (which im sure somebody can clarify for me), i'd like to see AIB league teams play in parker pen, maybe someday gearing towards a Fifth major Irish side...possibly a AIB select team ??
    I know we're having problems funding the 4 we have...but with a higher profile for AIB league...they could possibly co-fund themselves?

Just echoing an opinion and one that has been hanging over Ireland.

Dempseyat full back??????????
    I really dont understand why he is being picked for Leinseter and Ireland. Even with contepomi and Murphy they have at times picked him.
    My only conclusion is somethin poloitical. He is not of the standard anymore. With Murphy playing his usual excellent and Gavin Duffy recently showing good form-the question begs why Dempsey ?

ahh fair enough....nice one dave, so Connacht could still qualify regardless of outcome in challange cup? nice one

NEWS

Anyone here thenews MArtin Johnson is retiring full time at the end of the Season - so im guessing no Lions tour (BOD o'Connell for Lions Captain)

Also anyone here the new rule in hurling - they tried the yellow card rule like rugby and decided it wasnt fair on the team so now if you get a yellow your sent off but can be replaced. Could we see this in rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I think that mentatlity is retarded. You commit a foul on behalf of your team - if you get a yellow of course your team should suffer for it.

You were illegally trying to gain advantage - the only fitting punishment for that is disadvantage

edit: I should say I wasn't refering to your mentality Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

daveirl wrote:

Its possible, the Lions squad is never picked on who is in the best form, its picked on whether each player is good enough for LIONS rugby. Matt Dawson played against South Africa and was a surprise choice as Bracken was England scrum half at the time. Sure Hendo got his game the last time and surely wasn't the "best" available.

The Lions team always throws up a couple of surprises, maybe Easterby will be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

This ireland team seems to be in its 'prime' at the moment. There are a few young hopefuls which got run-outs in the last few tests against SA, USA and Argentina, so it looks hopeful on that front.

This has to be our year. If we dont do it this time around with this set of players i have a feeling that it'll get harder to win, as wales are always improving as are Italy. Scotland are back to square 1, so they'll be out of the picture for a few years. The french and the english are 'under the weather' at the moment, but these 2 always bounce back and I have a feeling they will do in the next few years. They both have too much quality and depth and some great young players coming through.

We have the big 2 at home, which are both winable games... Scotland and Italy are games that we should win. The welsh game, even though they have improved a lot and ran NZ very close recently, I think we can take them if we are clear of injuries and luck goes our way on the day...

I guess all we can do is wait and see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

rhyno wrote:
    if Ireland are to win the 6N's, they must have as many game winners on the pitch as possible and Girvan Dempsey is the furthest thing to a game winner you can have. i think he's been fantastic for Ireland over the past few years but with the emergence of darcy in centre pushing horgan to the wing, it means geordan murphy has to be put a full back. i think it's time for O'Sullivan to stop being loyal to his team and start picking form players. That would also mean that Peter stringer must go aswell. Munster fans have to admit that he's playing the worst rugby of his professional life and even though Easterby's passing isn't as good, he offer's so much more attacking options.

agreed murphy should definately get on before dempsey, he will bring a major spark to this tourment i think he really will come to life. stringer isnt playing the
    best but still is better than esterby, plus him and o gara have the best scrum/out half partnership in the competion. they have been playing together
    since they were 11. this will count for a lot to get quick ball to the "greyhounds" out wide.

cant wait to see johnny o connor, one to look out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭dubal

Its amazing the different perspectives people have.

Recently when viewing the tigers forum (as any good Leinster fan does:)) I looked at a poll for the Lions team, BOD and D'Arcy were the only two considered.

Today, I had a look at WRU site and I saw a poll for who will win the 6 nations? The results so far:
    Wales (32%)
    England (26%)
    France (19%)
    Ireland (18%)
    Italy (3%)
    Scotland (2%)

Its hard then to consider myself objective on this one:(... though I think we'll win it:)

dubal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ireland are miles ahead in the poll on planet-rugby.com:

Who are you tipping for Six Nations glory?

England 19%
    France 18%
    Ireland 41%
    Italy 4%
    Scotland 2%
    Wales 16%

Votes: 2020

• Advertisement

Hmmm....interesting to see Scotland getting less than italy in both polls....../me ponders if more people favour italy over scotland...or is italy the "take the p!ss vote" and all the scot vote r by scots people?...hmmm......

daveirl wrote:
    I hope Leamy starts next week. O'Connor was poor against Argentina and has been very mediocre for Wasps in the Heineken Cup. /QUOTE]

Agreed!!!! Used to like O'Connors style but its very mundane after a while. Has to be Leamy. Would love to see Quinlan back in the green. He heightens his game for the big occasion.

Ya Easterby looks flat of late. Would have to say Quinlan/Leamy.
    Easterby is supposedy leaving Llianeli this Season.Heard Leinster are looking at him,did you hear anything ?

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:

Dunno think it would be a sensible buy. Costello retires you got Miller,Jennings,Gleeson and Easterby in the back row. One of them as an impact sub would be handy wink.gif

Ya, i heard Leinster are going to attempt to sign him, but i hear he wants to play in Ireland, because he believes it will boost his international prospects! I suppose he's right in a way...if he stays he'll never be more than a fringe player for Ireland...if he signs for Leinster, it'll be in his own hands...if he can force his way into the team/ keep his place aftr filling in for injuries, he could become a Irish regular....cant see it happening myself, but i do think he'll sign for Leinster...he'd be a good squad player to have imo.

Advertisement