Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancakes

• 15-01-2005 6:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Pancake Tuesday is only a few weeks away, so was just wondering. what is the ideal pancake.

do you like them to be thin making it easy to roll them up with a topping on it (jam/lemon/chocolate spread or do youy like big fat pancakes.

my grandpa was able to make big thick pancakes and you would be full for ages after eating only one. a big blob of jam or squirt of jif lemon juice on them made them just perfect.

so what is your ideal pancake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

When I was away one year, they had pancake stalls EVERYWHERE! And once I tried a pancake with whipped cream. twas really nice.

pancakes rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Pancakes are cake?

Pancakes are pie?

I am confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

pan-CAKE

good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Gossip_girl

Personally, I'm a big fan of the really thin french ones with a little dollop of chocolate sauce in the middle all rolled up. For me it just dosen't get any better. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Had a pancake from a stall in Castletownbere. It was thin and once it was fliped it was smeared with Nutella so that it melted a bit, then right before it was wrapped up it was sprinkled with Baileys. Tastes fantastic, and there was an option for adding some crushed nuts as well which I reckon would have be great as well.

You could try this with a few diferant types of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

pancakes with just sugar and lemon ynom ynom ynom!!!!
    It was thin and once it was fliped it was smeared with Nutella so that it melted a bit, then right before it was wrapped up it was sprinkled with Baileys. Tastes fantastic, and there was an option for adding some crushed nuts as well which I reckon would have be great as well.
    that sounds sexy, must try that this year. what date is pancake tuesday falling on anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Rew wrote:
    You could try this with a few diferant types of alcohol.

ALCOHOL??!?!?!
    pancakes?!??!?

my god the boys a genius!

pancohol

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

i like them small and fat so you can stack them with maple syrup in between... mmmmmmm... they may possibly be called "flapjacks" or something stupid like that... but like the ones in superquinn! they're grrrrrreat!

edit:or mcdonalds for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i like the thin ones, all rolled up with jam or sugar
    another good one is some ice cream in the middle
    mmmm delish!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

i like them nice and thin. They're really good with cheese melted inside or bacon and egg...tasty savoury pancakes!

But then I like them with butter and brown sugar.....mmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Mmmmm.... one of my favourite days in the year. I love pancakes especially the french style crepes with the mouth-watering chocolate sauce. I add whipped cream to that with a dash of alcohol and voila, Bon apetite!! ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Yummmmmmmm pancakes!! Lemon in Dublin do fabulous Baileys and Chocolate pancakes... rarrrrr. I'm intrigued as to what waffles are considered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

oooh i shall be the pancake queeeen tomorrow!
    nice n thin,but big. just butter lemon and sugar...mmm pure heaven in a roll :D

*YAY* pancakes today *YAY* im going to stuff my mouth with pancakes till i cant eat anymore!!! \0/ \0/ \0/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I love the simple ones i make, which i got from my mom and probably everyone's mom knows this.

Take some cream and heat in a saucepan. Add some brown sugar and keep stirring till it caramelizes and becomes thick.

Pour over pancakes with some lemon if you like and some cream to top off... absolutly fantastic!! :D

woosaysdan wrote:
    *YAY* pancakes today *YAY* im going to stuff my mouth with pancakes till i cant eat anymore!!! \0/ \0/ \0/

Make sure theyre topped with chocolate sauce!! ;)

so how many pancakes did ye eat!!! i lost count!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

it was pancake day?! :eek:

woosaysdan wrote:
    so how many pancakes did ye eat!!! i lost count!!!

I came home too late last nite and didnt get round to flippin any pancakes :( I still have a bowl of the batter in the fridge. I'll have some for dinner then i'll have some for tea. MMMmmmmm......... with chocolate sauce. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I love the thin pancakes that you roll up, not those small fat ones (don't like 'em at all).

My favourite fillings:
    butter and sugar
    strawberries & cream / icecream (or both)

mmmmmmmmmmm *drooooooooool*

I didn't have any pancakes yesterday :( boohoo. Must make up for that when I'm home next and have use of my mom's electric mixer thingy to make up the batter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

tinkerbell wrote:
    Must make up for that when I'm home next and have use of my mom's electric mixer thingy to make up the batter :D
    Gah! It's not exactly a Herculean effort to mix up a pint or so of batter by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Pancakes are rotten things, they're just big chunks of lard mixed with butter, suger and eggs........... gross!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Pancakes are something I really have to be in the mood to eat, they are my least fave breakfast food.

So can someone tell me what Panckae tuesday is and where it comes from etc...?
    I have never heard of it before.

My fave way to make pancakes when I do is to slice some apples and cover them in cinnamon and sugar and butter, wrap them in foil and bake in oven for 30 miutes and then pour over pancakes....yum ;)

memphis wrote:
    Pancakes are rotten things, they're just big chunks of lard mixed with butter, suger and eggs........... gross!
    Lard?
    Milk, flour and eggs, fried in butter.

BEAT wrote:
    So can someone tell me what Panckae tuesday is and where it comes from etc...?
    A.K.A. Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday that begins the Christian Lent when they'd give up things for 40 days. In the old days the rules about what you could have during Lent were quite strict so just about all the sweet tasty goodies in your larder were going to be forbidden for 40 days so it made sense to eat them all up the day before and a good way of doing that was to make lots of pancakes and use the sweet stuff as toppings/fillings.
    The tradition of eating pancakes remains, especially in England where the day is also marked by various local customs, many of which are pancake related.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

I take it this is next Tuesday 21st ?

Lent (from catholicireland.net)
    The next season is Lent which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on the Wednesday of Holy Week. Lent is considered a time of preparation for Easter. It was traditionally a time of fasting and abstinence, when faithful Christians ate just enough to keep alive but much less than normal and ate no meat. Days of fasting and abstinence from meat have now been reduced to just two, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. However as a remnant of this penitential practice many Catholics still give up something for the period of Lent, sweets, alcohol etc.

The day before Ash Wednesday, was a time to eat up all the goodies that were to be given up for Lent, so grew up Carnivals, Mardi Gras and Pancake Tuesday.

Mid-Lent Sunday was known as Laetare Sunday and considered something of a 'day off' the observances of Lent. In Ireland and the UK it is also known as 'Mother's Day' or 'Mothering Sunday'.

The exact dates of Lent varies dependent upon the date of Easter. Easter falls on the Sunday after the first full-moon after the March equinox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

bah, christians and thier silly holidays.... hehehe :v:

Ill get my coat and leave now...

Advertisement