Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal Rifle

Options
  • 15-01-2005 6:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a fulllbore rifle this year. I want it for Target shooting, 4 -600yards. I want advice on a Make and Model. I will spend in the region of €2000 for one. The more idiot proof it is the better. I've only had experience with military rifles and currently use a shotgun for clays.

I've read the posts about licensing, gunsafes, The disgretion of the superintendant, what size round is allowed etc. All that stuff aside (I'll take my chances like the rest) Is there anything exotic out there to buy. Something that exudes 'Wow' when you look at it and something that commands respect when fired.

Any and all advise is welcomed... even the (expected) funny ones.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

FAB24 wrote:
    Is there anything exotic out there to buy. Something that exudes 'Wow' when you look at it and something that commands respect when fired.
    Well, I’d respectfully suggest that the .50BMG fulfils all these criteria, and then some! :D:D:D

The single shot/bolt action ones come in pretty close to your price range too (at least in US Dollars converted to Euro).

Go on, be the first person in Ireland to (legally) possess one of these babies!

Oh, and can I have a go when you get it??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

The old axiom is buy the best scope you can afford and use the spare change for the rifle :)

WOW everyone with consistently exellent scores or long range shots.

Or try for somthing really heavy calibre ,a single shot 20mm Maadi Griffin."Yes Superintendent I live next door to Jurassic Park,and those Tryannosraus Rex keep trying to eat me and my family." :D

In all honesty,you would be better off getting somthing in a bolt action and spending the money to it set up for your kind of target shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

The Walther Bull Pup design sniper rifle in 7.62 is unusual

upe4131.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Hey,
    the guy said two thousand, not Twenty thousand plus!!! :D
    That isnt a rifle anymore,that is a rare precision instrument that shoots. :eek:

The old axiom is buy the best scope you can afford and use the spare change for the rifle
    Gotta agree with Glock on this one!

The really serious full-bore target shooters are spending your entire budget (and sometimes more!) on the scope. :eek:

I’d suggest spending at least half your €2000 on the glass, and spread the remainder out on the rifle and all the other kit that’s ’needed’ for this game.

Many of the full-bore target rifles available to the public are merely ‘civilianised’ versions of the manufacturer’s offerings to their military and police customers.
    Change the words ‘Tactical’ or ‘Sniper’ or ‘Police’ to ‘Target’, paint it something other that ‘Sinister Black’, and you have a target rifle.
    Have a look at this page for a pretty big selection of suitable shooting irons-
    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn00-e.htm

Check out the menu on the left side of the page.
    Skip the ‘Large calibre rifles’ section (lest we cause Little_Wing to experience palpitations! :D ), and have a look through the ‘Standard calibre rifles’.

It’d be hard to go too far wrong with some flavour of Remington 700, and there are loads of goodies (fancy adjustable stocks, muzzle brakes, etc, etc) to add on as experience and finances allow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Fab24,

I was in the same position as you 18 months ago, having experience with 303s, FNs, and Steyrs. I know what you mean by the desire for something exotic, but based on my experience check out the following...

1. Sako 75 IV Action Varmint in 6.5 x 55.
    The 6.5 x 55 is far superior to the 7.62mm ballistically for target work, and is a popular caliber choice where I shoot (Midland Rifle Club in Offaly). Its not that exotic, but a very well built rifle. The scope is a Burris, bought from the US on the Internet, for $600, and I am very happy with it compared to the €1000 or more Iwas quoted for it here! The base rifle was €1400, with mounts/rings at €180, plus scope.

www.sako.fi

2. Steyt SSG Police on either .243 Winchester or .308 (7.62).
    I have had the chance to shoot one of these in 243, belonging to another club member, and this is a fantastic rifle, if you like synthetic stocks, heavy barrel etc. It is hard to get your head around the idea that you can use the Austrian (and Garda) Sniper rifle in good old Ireland. It will cost €1800 plus mounts at €250, plus scope to get started.

www.steyr-mannlicher.com

3. Really exotic - Blaser LRS2.
    This beast is at least €2700, plus mounts plus scope, but is a dedicated precision rifle, and multi-calibre, as the rifle is based on a modular system,with easily replaceable bolt heads and barrels. Lots on view at Midland, and no complaints. I would love one.

www.blaser.de

4. Ultimate exotic (to me anyway)
    Sako TRG-22 in .308. Many accesories, and designed for government use. Available from any dealer who works through Ardee Sports from April.May onwards. €2700 + mounts etc. Be warned spare 10 roun mag will set you back €500 +

Hope this helps...

mosulli4

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

How about a Tubb2000 in .223? :D

T2000C-SIGHT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

mosulli4 wrote:
    Fab24,

2. Steyt SSG Police on either .243 Winchester or .308 (7.62).
    I have had the chance to shoot one of these in 243, belonging to another club member, and this is a fantastic rifle, if you like synthetic stocks, heavy barrel etc. It is hard to get your head around the idea that you can use the Austrian (and Garda) Sniper rifle in good old Ireland. It will cost €1800 plus mounts at €250, plus scope to get started.

mosulli4

Steyr SSG H/B in .243 cal with S and B PM2 scope available secondhand for £1200. PM me for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Unfortunately sparks the Tubb 2000 does not come in 223: mad:

I think it will be tough to get a good rifle, scope and all the other stuff (bipod, scope mounts) for 2 grand?

The best bet is to go with a second hand rifle in 6.5x55 or a new remmie 70vs in .223 or .308.....

Then try and get a Leopold or Schmidt & Bender for around a grand...

Going to be tough! :rolleyes:

Check out www.swfa.com for optics, or the sportsman in the U.k.... you might get something there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FAB24

Thanks for all that. It will take me a while to digest all your advise, but hey, great advise it is. Keep a steady aim.
    One shot, One kill! :)

Advertisement