Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we becoming America

Options
  • 15-01-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I sounds as though our gun laws are getting almost as ridiculous as America. The only difference being we need a piece of paper and it takes a little longer. What I mean is all these morons wanting to .50cal weapons that really have advantage over many express smaller calibre when it comes to hunting. So is it for target then , well I know for a fact it doesn't take a .50 to punch a hole in some paper (or reinforced concrete wall, come to think about it). It's getting out of control and it is pathetic that it falls on a human opinion to give or not give a permit - not a solid law.

And pistols are just pathetic apart from for an Olympic team so I'm not going to talk about them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Are wwe becoming America

What does the WWE have to do with shooting? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

CAUTION !!!!DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The day I can walk into Superquinn and fill my trolley up with guns and ammo this might be a sensible comparison. Until then, any attempt to compare the two systems shows a gigantic lack of understanding of the two systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

This forum is for shooters so something tells me that A CERTAIN SOMEBODY IS LOST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

pistols are just pathetic apart from for an Olympic team

I would pose the question ...

If we don't have any access to pistols ...
    How would you suggest we create an Olympic team ..?

The usual method in any sport is by picking competitors who have
    proved themselves the best available in their respective countries ,
    They start up either shooting as individuals or as part of a club team ,
    go on to inter - club matches ..and progress to national and international matches .

It takes time , commitment , money, practice ...and equipment.

Your point being....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jaycee wrote:
    The usual method in any sport is by picking competitors who have
    proved themselves the best available in their respective countries ,
    They start up either shooting as individuals or as part of a club team ,
    go on to inter - club matches ..and progress to national and international matches .
    It takes time , commitment , money, practice ...and equipment.

Much as I think the original poster didn't understand the situation (our laws haven't actually changed, after all), he did raise an interesting point or two indirectly. For instance, the US pistol lads have found that the above approach just doesn't work for building pistol teams, because in the US, it's all NRA/IPSC/IDPA/Cowboy shooting (in about that order for size too), and there's very little if any transfer over to the USAS pistol teams, with the result that while the US is a heavy hitter in the Rifle discipline, it's not even in the top ten for the Pistol discipline.

If you want to build an olympics pistol team, you pretty much have to shoot ISSF pistol - the other disciplines don't tend to lead people into ISSF at all. I'm not even sure if they should (as opposed to whether or not they're designed to do so, which they definitely aren't), because not everyone wants to shoot ISSF. I mean, I may personally think it's the most challanging and fun thing in target shooting, but that just means that I think so, not that everyone or anyone else does.

On a slightly different issue that the original poster prompted me to start thinking of again, I have been hearing (and these are purely second-hand rumours so I'm not going to repeat them here - and please don't do so yourself unless you actually saw what you're talking about - and I only mention them because it has been niggling at my mind) some rumoured stories that suggest that perhaps we might want to be running a lot more courses on basic pistol etiquette - things like how they should be transported, the differences in what is required of the shooter on the range for safety, a brief review of legal points such as who can fire your target pistol, and so on and so forth. It's not enough to get me reaching for a panic button just yet, but I do wonder if these things are being taken into consideration by head office, because the last time I asked while I was in the loop, they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

In relation to the American Olympic Team, they aproached the top PP shooters for advice help etc, Rob Latham etc assisted the team with Kimber building the pistols, I would be interested in the results from Athens ,did it make a differance!!, re saftey courses, to shoot PP in NI you need to have taken a U.K.P.S.A sanctioned saftey course , the course takes 16 hrs, with 13 hrs of verbal ,practical instruction, followed by a Q&A session and then a 360 rnd test, no pass,no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

les45 wrote:
    In relation to the American Olympic Team, they aproached the top PP shooters for advice help etc, Rob Latham etc assisted the team with Kimber building the pistols, I would be interested in the results from Athens ,did it make a differance!!
    From what I've heard, that particular experiment, though well-motivated, hasn't worked too well, because the top IPSC shooters get paid far more for shooting ISPC than they do for shooting ISSF; and there's not much motivation to switch, and no money to pay them to do so.
    re saftey courses, to shoot PP in NI you need to have taken a U.K.P.S.A sanctioned saftey course , the course takes 16 hrs, with 13 hrs of verbal ,practical instruction, followed by a Q&A session and then a 360 rnd test, no pass,no competition.
    Sounds rather sensible given the PP course of fire; but I've only heard of one formal demonstration/seminar/talk type arrangement being run down here (at the NRPAI's AGM), and no formal courses (by formal course I mean something with a defined syllabus, suitably accredited instructor, and a pass/fail test at the end, and an accreditation granted to those who pass).

Advertisement