Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motions...

• 15-01-2005 11:48am

Before I get labelled as a hack (again), just wish to inform you that there are some interesting motions being put forward at the next SU Council (17/1/05 - that's Monday - at 7 p.m. in the Joly, Hamilton Building)

1) Sale of Tobacco products be banned from SU Shops
    2) The ban on Nestlé be removed
    3) The ban on Coke be removed

Each of the motions asks to be put to a referendum.

Just thought some of you might be interested...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So mammy student union are trying to save us all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Just a note to the moderators, you should delete posts by anyboy, by all means remove all the content but in the past there has been issues with mods doing that, and it was agree its bad practise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

that again in english boston?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

My Boston-English translation skills are a bit rusty, but I believe he meant...
    "if you want to remove a post by someone, then go ahead and edit out the text in it, but don't actually delete the post itself, because there was **** about it in the past".

uhh assuming thats accurate...
    i delete any pointless/insulting/flaming post, if it provides some tangable section of use then i edit the rest out of it, but that post didn't. If someone has a problem with that they can take it up with me/an admin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'm behind Ian for once on this.. And I'm surprised at yerself ian since (this is where the ability to read deleted posts comes in handy) he was sort of a fundamental you. I know you opposed the coke ban, if half heartedly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

so, if anyone wants to see me make a fool of myself and get up and speak against the first motion (and, basically, for the other two) come and have a look on monday. Also cant believe one of my mates was the proposer to all three. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

So where the **** has my earlier post gone then?

SkyLynx wrote:
    uhh assuming thats accurate...
    i delete any pointless/insulting/flaming post, if it provides some tangable section of use then i edit the rest out of it, but that post didn't. If someone has a problem with that they can take it up with me/an admin.

Yeah, I have a prob with it seeing as it was mine that was deleted. And no PM from you either about it.
    Guess I frightened the stiffs again :rolleyes:

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I'm behind Ian for once on this.. And I'm surprised at yerself ian since (this is where the ability to read deleted posts comes in handy) he was sort of a fundamental you. I know you opposed the coke ban, if half heartedly..
    i don't support the coke ban, but i don't see what is to be gained by attacks on someone who just merly was conveying some info about whats going on in the college.

• Advertisement

Evilution wrote:
    Yeah, I have a prob with it seeing as it was mine that was deleted. And no PM from you either about it.
    Guess I frightened the stiffs again :rolleyes:
    i've no intention of pm'n you, you should know that that sort of a post is not allowed.
    and fightended the stiffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

two boards in a very short space of time. well done Evilution (well soon to be two boards i suppose). Moderators do not have to pm you for a deleted post. in fact they dont have to pm you at all, its a courtesy, not a right.

crash_000 wrote:
    two boards in a very short space of time. well done Evilution (well soon to be two boards i suppose). Moderators do not have to pm you for a deleted post. in fact they dont have to pm you at all, its a courtesy, not a right.

This issue of increasing oversensitivity amongst boards members is a serious drawback. And here's me thinking that the internet is a place to insult people anonomously :rolleyes:
    Point and fact: if the original poster came up to me in college and started giving all that hack crap, I'd have told them to fukk off. I'm doing the same here AND from the way they wrote their original post they were expecting to take flak anyway.
    Yanno, I've had people slag me and (mostly) my opinions off on boards, but I've never had a mod come running to my rescue. Never asked myself why either, until now. And don't try coming back with the whole "give me some examples" speil!!!! They did. Point and fact. I'm guessing you're developing some sort of superhero-type schizophrenia: trying to protect the weak against the evil strong. Is it because my username has evil in it that I've become a target?
    So you go ahead and edit and chop and remove as best you will. Do your little part for the good of the repressed and beaten-down boards users (and TCD hacks).
    Sad
    Sad
    Sad
    :rolleyes:

keep on pushing.........

boards is not free speech , we don't have any in ireland.

and if they came up to u in college and said it that would be informing u directly and looking for some level of feedback off u. The poster generally announced that to this board, you didn't have to read his post, you could tell by the topic it was SU related. He was expecting flack off me cause i always abuse him for SU related stuff(in good jest).

Now back on topic, any further posts by you on this issue will be deleted and a week ban put in place for being an utter nuicence. If you really still have an issue u can PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Yea Evilution don't mess with "The Man."

SkyLynx wrote:
    He was expecting flack off me cause i always abuse him for SU related stuff(in good jest)

Ah, the ol' double standard I see ;)
    SkyLynx wrote:
    Now back on topic, any further posts by you on this issue will be deleted and a week ban put in place for being an utter nuicence. If you really still have an issue u can PM me.

What topic, there is none. It was just a SU bod getting some free publicity here. Yanno, the SU for TCD have a website too where that can be done.
    Bit miffed, if I'm such a nuisance you could have at least spelt it correctly. Would I be right in saying that you're not a student of english?

Miles wrote:
    Yea Evilution don't mess with "The Man."

Is there an emoticon for exasperation and hysterical laughter?

Evilution wrote:
    Ah, the ol' double standard I see ;)
    nothing better than it :) (o and incase anyone stupidly decides to take that seriously i'm not)

What topic, there is none. It was just a SU bod getting some free publicity here. Yanno, the SU for TCD have a website too where that can be done.
    yes, they do, but i like most people here never look at said website and would be interested in these motions (i want my coke back.).
    Bit miffed, if I'm such a nuisance you could have at least spelt it correctly. Would I be right in saying that you're not a student of english?
    Its a lil obvious that alright ;) , us maths students don't have much use for english skills apart from asserting our 'The Man' powers :p

SkyLynx wrote:
    apart from asserting our 'The Man' powers :p

i poo myself in the presence of the mighty mods
    SkyLynx wrote:
    but i like most people here never look at said website and would be interested in these motions (i want my coke back.)

The idea of the TCD SU using this website to whore their little campaigns miffs me off.
    I want fukking coke back too, as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ooooooooooooooh! ME-OW!!

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    Ooooooooooooooh! ME-OW!!

That is called 2am sarcasm.
    Its the really nasty $hit that comes out when you post in the wee hours.

Evilution wrote:
    The idea of the TCD SU using this website to whore their little campaigns miffs me off.
    he merely stated that there was a motion on monday, god u really need to relax...

SkyLynx wrote:
    he merely stated that there was a motion on monday, god u really need to relax...

There's always motions on this and that, whereas I on the otherhand never relax. People say thats my most charming trait...ahem....

Evilution wrote:
    There's always motions on this and that, whereas I on the otherhand never relax. People say thats my most charming trait...ahem....
    not really, certainly not on coke very often, which is why donal posted it, we had a debate on the coke ban a few months ago so he knew we would be interested.

SkyLynx wrote:
    not really, certainly not on coke very often, which is why donal posted it, we had a debate on the coke ban a few months ago so he knew we would be interested.

Hey, c'mon, if you're gonna call him by his name at least call me by mine. I don't wanna be anonymous any longer :(
    I, personally, think that the whole coke issue will be flogged to death in the coming months. If they bring it back they'll have to keep it back or run the gauntlet of looking like complete arses. If they don't bring it back, again, they'll have to stick to their guns.
    Its daft, banning coke. What happened if McDonalds ever opened in the Hamilton building? This TCD board would become a battlefield.

Evilution wrote:
    Hey, c'mon, if you're gonna call him by his name at least call me by mine. I don't wanna be anonymous any longer :(
    And how do you suppose i'd know your name?
    I, personally, think that the whole coke issue will be flogged to death in the coming months. If they bring it back they'll have to keep it back or run the gauntlet of looking like complete arses. If they don't bring it back, again, they'll have to stick to their guns.
    Its daft, banning coke. What happened if McDonalds ever opened in the Hamilton building? This TCD board would become a battlefield.
    for one thing, i never read SU emails or listen to any of their tripe so regardless of how flogged to death it is i'll never see anything about it, have me own box in col so no link in my browser :)

And its only banned from su shops as a stand , its not exactly banned off campus like, its in the pav/vending machines

SkyLynx wrote:
    And how do you suppose i'd know your name?

:D I thought you were 'the man' :D

Evilution wrote:
    :D I thought you were 'the man' :D
    that is how ronan referred to me......

if i was omnipresent i'd know your name alright, but then again if i was omnipresent i'd have better things to be doing...

SkyLynx wrote:
    if i was omnipresent i'd know your name alright, but then again if i was omnipresent i'd have better things to be doing...

It'd make you wonder. If you were 'a god' or 'the god' then what else would you be doing? Clearly the current god sits on his arse most of the time, what with the tsunami and the americans in iraq and all that.
    So I think that, yes, you'd probably know my name (john) but no, you'd still be here at half 2 in the morning trying to calm the choppy waters on the TCD forum.

• Advertisement

if i was god and could do what i like why would i do anything? i could just create a euphoric sensation for myself constantly.....
    o yeah and well all that, maybe he's on a holiday for a few years? could do some culling of idiots from american gov. any time he likes as far as i'm concerned. "Uhh yeah that looks like comotion on the ground lets bomb it.......missiles away....woops its a wedding, o well.."

and i'm up at half 2(and in college) doing study/assignments...this is only providing something to do to try avoid more work...

Advertisement