Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think about Falun Gong?

Options
  • 15-01-2005 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Falun Gong is banned in China. They claim that there is a lot of extreme persecution of them by the Chinese government.

The Chinese government say that practicioners began to reject medical treatment and some have died for the dream of consummation to heaven.

"Since "Falun Gong" was founded in 1992, more than 1,700 "Falun Gong" practitioners died. Among them, more than 1,400 died from their refusal to take medicine while over 300 committed suicide to "ascend to heaven" including those burned themselves in Tian'an Men Square. Countless families suffered. This is the reason why "Falun Gong" is regarded as a cult with essence of anti-humanity, anti-society and anti-science." (http://www.chinaembassy.ie/eng/EmbassyInfo/EmbassyInfoBigNews/t173461.htm)

Groups like Amnesty International have complained about the Chinese persecution. Some Irish universities have Falun Dafa societies.

1) What do people think about Falun Gong?
    2) Are Irish groups right to defend their freedom to worship?
    3) Is Falun Gong safe or dangerous?
    4) Is the Chinese official stance completely wrong, or understandable?

Reply here or mail me at ansliabh@yahoo.com, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You're really supposed to leave an opinion - so at least people who have no other real contribution can jump in to attack yours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 An Sliabh

Hmm... sorry. I'm trying to write an article about it. My first impressions are that the Chinese official clampdown is way over the top and probably completely unnecessary. There is quite an admirable emphasis on peace among the Falun Dafa practicioners and not hurting anyone as well as disinterest in material things:

"…true cultivation disciplines are absolute about this: no killing. There’s no two ways about it.” (http://falundafa.org/book/eng/zfl_new_7.html#1)

Having said that, the guy who started Falun Gong says some bizarre things, such as claiming that humans have been around for billions of years, that aliens are interfering with humans:

"The aliens come from other planets. The names that I use for these planets are different . Some are from dimensions that human beings have not yet discovered." (http://www.time.com/time/asia/asia/magazine/1999/990510/interview3.html)

...and that praticioners can have superhuman abilities like walking through walls. His book Zhuan Falun is full of strange claims without bothering to reference them.

But most religions have inexplicable bits so maybe its ok? My mind is not made up yet. Other people's input is welcome.

ansliabh@yahoo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

although im sure i signed the peitition on grafton street before are they any direct rebuttals to the embassy stuff on refusing medical treatment and suicides?

ignorance is bliss i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

An Sliabh wrote:
    The Chinese government say that practicioners began to reject medical treatment and some have died for the dream of consummation to heaven.

"Since "Falun Gong" was founded in 1992, more than 1,700 "Falun Gong" practitioners died. Among them, more than 1,400 died from their refusal to take medicine ...

Eh, does this make anyone else's eyebrows go somewhat ... upwards?

"refusal to take medicine"? Exactly what medicine are they refusing to take and why, and eh ... well why are they "dying" because of this refusal? And what exactly is it that they are dying of? Multiple small-entry/large-exit wounds by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Don't.. er.... *racks brain*.. amish people reject blood transfusions because of religious beliefs? Could be something similar here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Is the Chinese official stance completely wrong, or understandable?

If the Chinese offical stance involves imprisonment and torture of falun gong practitioners then YES it is wrong.

www.faluninfo.net

WARNING parts of this site may not be suitable for the squeamish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

what exactly are you asking? Are you asking for opinions on Falun Gong or on the PRC crack down on large organised religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 An Sliabh

Mostly concerned with Falun Gong. Best of all would be stories of people's experiences of Falun Gong in Ireland. The mention of the PRC's response is really just a way of showing you the criticisms of Falun Gong. I'm not really concerned with the Chinese Govt's actions here...

It seemed to me that generally in Ireland people were supporting the Falun Dafa and I was generally in agreement. But I knew a Chinese girl who TOTALLY opposed them, saying that they were very dangerous. I just wondered was she right, or was she simply buying into the PRC propaganda?

I'm not talking about PRC here, tell me about FG, thanks :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Moriarty wrote:
    Don't.. er.... *racks brain*.. amish people reject blood transfusions because of religious beliefs? Could be something similar here.

I think it's Jehovah's Witnesses, and possibly Rastafarians. Not 100% though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

An Sliabh wrote:
    Mostly concerned with Falun Gong. Best of all would be stories of people's experiences of Falun Gong in Ireland. The mention of the PRC's response is really just a way of showing you the criticisms of Falun Gong. I'm not really concerned with the Chinese Govt's actions here...

It seemed to me that generally in Ireland people were supporting the Falun Dafa and I was generally in agreement. But I knew a Chinese girl who TOTALLY opposed them, saying that they were very dangerous. I just wondered was she right, or was she simply buying into the PRC propaganda?

I'm not talking about PRC here, tell me about FG, thanks :)

Does she mean dangerous to its members or dangerous to outsiders as well?
    I've never read about FG, but I might do so now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think it's Jehovah's Witnesses, and possibly Rastafarians. Not 100% though.

[OFF TOPIC]
    Don't get me started about the Jehovah Witnesses and blood transfusion. My mother mentioned in passing a worry about blood transfusion around the time of the whole scandal with contaminated blood, to a JW parent in my school. My God they are like lions. She had JW left right and centre calling into the house, approching her at the school, everything, wanting to discuss blood transfusions and the JW approach.

You give them a polite inch and they bite your arm off .. anyway
    [/OFF TOPIC]

I read on Wikipedia (i.e not fact) that the whole thing about Falum Gong people refusing medicine was made up by the Communist party of China.

To me the whole thing sounds a bit weird and like a cult but then again so does Catholiasism ;)

Do they demand that you to change your life in any fundamental way ... normally a bad sign

Advertisement