Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where'd be Martin Tyler?

• 15-01-2005 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the Liverpool - Man U game... I hear Ian Darke commentating... where is Martin Tyler? Sick? Ill? It's rare for him to miss a game.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Apparently Sky are reducing his duties, and giving Darke a push up the order.

Andy Gray has apparently asked for this, as he feels Tyler is not up to it any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

seansouth wrote:
    Apparently Sky are reducing his duties, and giving Darke a push up the order.

Andy Gray has apparently asked for this, as he feels Tyler is not up to it any more.

Wow are you serious? Jesus I thought they were mates. That is tough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

seansouth wrote:

I can't see how Andy Gray should get to influence something like this.

I remember Ian Darke commentating years ago on "Monday Night Football". Nowadays, I associate his voice more with boxing.

Has he been commentating on many soccer games lately?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Martin Tyler has probably been asked not to commentate in Manchester United games because he will most likely start moaning about Arsenal being beaten at OT again. AFAIK he is an Arsenal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Martin Tyler is a fan of Woking FC I think, can't believe that Andy Gray would have any influence on who commentates on games. Maybe Tyler is doing the pay-per-view game later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Sky have reduced his games, last one i remember is Liverpool v Chelsea New Years day, heard Andy Gray did influence the decision, as he felt Tyler had lost the edge after all those years.
    Do you remember the way he shouted over Tyler after Gerrards goal against Olympiacos in Europe?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

plazzTT wrote:
    I remember Ian Darke commentating years ago on "Monday Night Football". Nowadays, I associate his voice more with boxing.

Has he been commentating on many soccer games lately?

He actually commentates on a game every Sat. He is part of a pool off commentators that are used on most of the 3pm games on Sat afternoons. These games are shown live with Eng commentary in many countries across the world. I am actually switching between the Spurs v Chelsea on Setanta and the Charlton v Birmingham game on Art sport 4 which has an english commentater(not sure who he is) along with Trevor Francis Summarising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What's the problem? Tyler is rubbish, I just wish he'd taken Andy Gray with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

What's the problem? Tyler is rubbish, I just wish he'd taken Andy Gray with him.

Agreed on Gray, time for some fresh blood - but Tyler is still the best about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Andy Gray is the best in the business. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Whats wrong with Tyler? An unbiased commentator who knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No problem, I dont have a problem with Tyler or Gray, but it was odd to hear Ian Darke commentating on such a big premiership game live on Sky, actually, its been a while since he did for Sky (maybe some CL matches, but only on interactive). As PlazTT said, he was the original Monday Night Football commentator. And I do like Darke too.

Edit: And Tyler was at the Newcastle/Southampton game too.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I dont mind Tyler at all, but I do think its time for Andy Gray to step aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tyler on his own is an excellent commentator but when he is combined with Big Mouth Gray he is poor.
    A commentators job is to name the players and put emotion in.
    Tyler and Gray start waffling about other things.
    I wish Andy Gray got the boot.
    He treats the viewer like a moron who knows nothing about football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Chris Kamara said something about Tyler and Gray not getting along in an interview on Dangerhere a while back so it's not a big suprise he wants to work with him less. Personally I'd rather they just dumped Andy "What a wonderful effort" Gray and got someone in who could accept that not everything that has ever happened on the premiership has been superb and that freeze framing football and saying someone should be an inch to the left does not equal knowing anything about football.

I don't like Andy Gray much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I quite liked the mix of Darke and Gray , who's the guy that usually does the Spanish football with Gerry Armstrong .That isn't Darke is it ? , because if it is , he should be Sky's main guy for commentating .

But please don't take him from the boxing either he's damn good at commentating on that too .

Big Ears wrote:
    But please don't take him from the boxing either he's damn good at commentating on that too .
    Is there any sport you don't watch Big Ears? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Nooooo this can't be true. I like Tyler and Gray. :(
    Could you please settle an argument between me and my dad. What we like to know is if a shot hits the post/bar does it count as on target?
    Chris Doyle, Chesterfield
    MARTIN SAYS: That is a great queston Chris and one that I know causes plenty of debate up and down the country. In fact it even causes consternation in the Sky Sports commentary box, because it is perhaps the only thing myself and Andy Gray disagree on - in fact it's the only thing I can ever recall doubting him on! Andy maintains that if the ball hits the frame of the goal, it is on target. In my humble opinion if the ball hits the frame and bounces back out that is off target. If it hits the post or bar and then goes in it is on target. I have checked with our fabulous stats team here at Sky Sports and they tell me the ball is OFF target if it hits the frame and bounces out, as do our good friends at Opta. So now you know!

Could this be what they fell out over??? :D

eirebhoy wrote:
    Is there any sport you don't watch Big Ears? ;)

I don't watch much cricket , I find it quite boring , although maybe id like the twenty-20 games , as their much shorter :p .

Oh and Curling ;)

Curling is cool

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote:
    Nooooo this can't be true. I like Tyler and Gray. :(

Could this be what they fell out over??? :D

I would have taken Andy's side in that argument , but I suppose the Opta stat people decide whats really right .

Brian017 wrote:
    Curling is cool

Im sure its what every house-wife/husband is thinking about while sweeping at home :rolleyes: .

I presume your sarcastic or from Scotland , as its about the only thing they can win a medal in .

Big Ears wrote:
    I would have taken Andy's side in that argument , but I suppose the Opta stat people decide whats really right .
    I disagree. I think it should be consider as off target. If it hits the post it's not a goal thus the ball didn't hit the target.

Big Ears wrote:
    I presume your sarcastic or from Scotland , as its about the only thing they can win a medal in .
    Nope, I'm Irish and darn proud of it. ;)

Brian017 wrote:
    Nope, I'm Irish and darn proud of it. ;)

thats what I thought , as for the post thing , I think a shot should have to go out of play to be considered off target , as when a kepper saves a shot going wide , it is considered on target , thus a shot that thus not leave the field of play should be counted on target .

but as I said the Opta stat people are really the ones who decide , so your actually right .

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If a shot is on-target it either goes in or requires the keeper or another player to stop it from doing so. If it hits the woodwork it doesn't require anyone else to stop it from going in, so therefore it has to be off-target.

I always am ;):p

zaph wrote:
    If a shot is on-target it either goes in or requires the keeper or another player to stop it from doing so. If it hits the woodwork it doesn't require anyone else to stop it from going in, so therefore it has to be off-target.
    That's what I was trying to say. :)

zaph wrote:

Yes but im sure those Opta stat guys count saves of shots that were going wide as on target .

• Advertisement

If they do they shouldn't, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Big Ears wrote:
    thats what I thought , as for the post thing , I think a shot should have to go out of play to be considered off target , as when a kepper saves a shot going wide , it is considered on target , thus a shot that thus not leave the field of play should be counted on target

lol
    :D

d22ontour wrote:
    lol
    :D

What ? :confused::D;):p :rolleyes: :eek: :o:) :mad: :( :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

the only thing gray is good at is stating the bleedin obvious...he should be well out of sky by now...kammy is good and should be given bigger games than the championship to analyze(sp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

sikes wrote:
    the only thing gray is good at is stating the bleedin obvious...he should be well out of sky by now...kammy is good and should be given bigger games than the championship to analyze(sp)

You have GOT to be joking, Kamara is a completely off the mark. For proof, just visit the Sky Sports website and check out his EURO 2004 awards, a real real joke. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Darkie is excellent at the boxing (albeit he does annoy me by the way he tries to influence the scorecard of the co-commentator), but I dont think he's very good at soccer. I'd prefer Tyler. I well sick of Andy Gray. I think Kammy is great though - says some stupid things alright, but he's entertaining and tells it as he sees it - the most important attribute of a analyser and rarely seen/heard on British TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

BolBill wrote:
    You have GOT to be joking, Kamara is a completely off the mark. For proof, just visit the Sky Sports website and check out his EURO 2004 awards, a real real joke. :)

thats the thing, he says something different to what would be considered the obvious. thats whyhe is better than gray he might not be always right but his thoughts are interesting and sometimes funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Agreed. Give the job to Kammy, the guy is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Kevin Keatings is the commentator for the bulk of the Spanish games, and if I were him, I'd consider the Premiership a step down, regardless of remuneration.

Bateman wrote:
    Kevin Keatings is the commentator for the bulk of the Spanish games, and if I were him, I'd consider the Premiership a step down, regardless of remuneration.

ya as soon as I saw the Spanish games last night I remembered why I thought the guy that does the Spanish ones is so good , whatever they pay that guy it isn't enough , he should be the main choice com for the Champions League .

The worst Sky commentator is that Welsh one who's voice you can only here in games that are just highlights as he's not high enough up the ladder .

I also hate yer man who does the Ireland games , and especially the way he says 'Clinton Morrison' (while in excited mode) .

The one for the Scottish games isn't bad .

Mottys good for the FA cup games , theres just a sense of tradition that he should be commentating for them .

Darke's good , should be ahead of Tyler for Premiership games .

TV3=I don't know the names but I hate all their commentators

Hamilton= dosen't have a ****ing clue but has a good voice , especially when put with Beglin .

Maloney= good commenator ,probably better as a solo man , seems to be the future of commentating in Irish soccer .

Ailken= oh god no , not that voice , he dosen't know his stuff either .

Magee= only good for the comedy aspect .

The guy that occasionaly commentates on soccer and is the main GAA guy= damn good commentator , with a good voice , should be prefered ov er both of the above , but isn't .

and thats most of the commentators I listen to and what I think of em .

But Keatings definetly is the best .

Big Ears wrote:
    The guy that occasionaly commentates on soccer and is the main GAA guy= damn good commentator , with a good voice , should be prefered ov er both of the above , but isn't .

Ger Canning? If so I agree, I think he's excellent too, he did alot of the eircom league games last year.

But, Magee is a legend! Brilliant commentator, "Different class"

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Ger Canning? If so I agree, I think he's excellent too, he did alot of the eircom league games last year.

But, Magee is a legend! Brilliant commentator, "Different class"

ya Canning , I like Magee as a person , he seems a really nice guy , and isn't bad for the Olympics , but he just isn't suited to soccer for me . He's a different class alright , theres nobody like him .

Me and a couple of mates had some laugh listening to Magee in some cycling sport at the Olympics. He's mental.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Me and a couple of mates had some laugh listening to Magee in some cycling sport at the Olympics. He's mental.

Is that the cycling thats done in a velodrome ? , because he was hilarious while commenatating on that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what about tony cottee?

hahaha.

what about tony cottee?

hahaha.

he's a second commenator , all the other are first .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big Ears wrote:
    he's a second commenator , all the other are first .

andy grays second, also recommending tony cottee was a joke. he shouldnt even be let into a football match let alone commentate on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Slash/ED wrote:
    Ger Canning? If so I agree, I think he's excellent too,

Guys, yis obviously dont watch enough GAA.

Ger Canning is the worst commentator there's ever been.....in any country in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ger Canning is the worst commentator there's ever been.....in any country in the world.

Must disagree with you here! surprise surprise on this forum!!

I think he is class at GAA....very good and also godo at soem little stories about people fathers and so on!!

Best person I ever heard was on RTE2 or one of them for the Irish rugby game and him going on about someone they nicknamed the chainswa.....nearly had to stop driving I was laughing at him that much!!

Ger Canning is the worst commentator there's ever been.....in any country in the world.=sarcasm=a form of irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Big Ears wrote:
    Mottys good for the FA cup games , theres just a sense of tradition that he should be commentating for them .

Agreed.
    Big Ears wrote:
    TV3=I don't know the names but I hate all their commentators

not to mention their studio analysts. Packie Bonner is the worst ever.
    Big Ears wrote:
    Hamilton= dosen't have a ****ing clue but has a good voice , especially when put with Beglin .
    I think anyone with an ounce of enthusiasm in their voice will sound good with Beglin. I find him sssooooooo depressing
    Big Ears wrote:

Not his biggest fan. I know we're talking about telly, but I think it has to be mentioned when it comes to GAA commentating, there's nobody to come within a country mile of Micheal O' Muirecheartaigh (sp). His descriptions and quotes are priceless but he has this knack of sexing up even the most dour league games in January.

The guy who commentates on the Champions League for ITV is my favourite of all (is it Clive Tyldsley or something?). ".....and Solskaer has won it" is embedded in my brain for eternity!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement