Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where'd be Martin Tyler?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The guy who commentates on the Champions League for ITV is my favourite of all (is it Clive Tyldsley or something?).

Are you a Man U fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Spot a game he doesn't mention that win , and you will find you are in a parralell universe , or dead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah i really liked ron atkinson and clive tyldsley(sp!).as for gray and tyler, think tyler is a legend! dont really like gray but they work well together.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

There is a thread over on digiSpy also about Martin Tyler. It indicated that he had a row with managment within Sky over wanting to do all the "big" games.

heres the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Personally, I like both Tyler and Gray. I wouldn't object to one or other of them getting less games if any of their replacements were any good, but they generally aren't. I like Chris Kamara on Soccer Saturday, but he's just too excitable for high-pressure games. Alan Smith is atrocious, Frank MacNamara is alright, and Gordon McQueen sounds half-dead.

Unfortunately, I think Andy Gray is the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Slash/ED wrote:
    Are you a Man U fan?

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

mr_angry wrote:
    Gordon McQueen sounds half-dead.

Gordon is a legend, which is tough for me to say being a Man Utd hater.

I loved it when he was always having a go at Berti Vogts. Bring back Berti!!!

Yeah.

Hence why you like Tyldsley :)

He comes across to me as the most biased commentator I've seen on TV, it's woeful at times. Every game Porto played after the Man U game last year he brought up Scholes disallowed goal at a rate that would be up there with the amount of times Motson brings up '66, and he's always like that. He's the same for England when they play but I suppose everyone is for the internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Guys, yis obviously dont watch enough GAA.

Ger Canning is the worst commentator there's ever been.....in any country in the world.

well said and you can throw magee in there with him what a plonker

the irish motson and thats not funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I think the best commentators are the Five Live guys — especially Alan Green. I always use the sound from them via the digibox if there is a live match on RTE. The only one I can't listen to there is Conor McNamara. You might remember he used to commentate on TV3 up to about 2002. He annoys me a lot — mainly because he has now picked up a very noticeable English twang to his accent.

Guess who’s commentating on the WBA v Man City game which is a PPV game by the way.

Martin Tyler. I don’t recall Martin ever doing a PPV game before, maybe I’m wrong but with respect to any WBA and Man City fans here, would the Southampton v Liverpool game have been a bigger game.

This adds fuel to the fire, that he has had an internal disagreement with someone within SkySports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Tyler missing again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I flippin despise Andy Gray. Gray continually brings the game in to disrepute with his snide comments and remarks, its plain and simple if a descision has not been made in a game thats it, but he and every other prat commentating on the game of football be it tv or newspaper are ruining the game by constantly rabbiting for weeks on end about an incident in game that may have even happened months ago. I rather watch a epl game with foreign commentators, just so as not to have to listen to muppet commentator's like Gray, Tyler, and Motson give their tuppence worth. The only possible good commentator to grace may sports is Barry Davies.

Guess what.. No sign of Martin again tonight. Man U V Chelsea game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i noticed when Gray asked the main commentator(rob howthorne was it?) when the last time chelsea conceded two he didnt know, or took him a while to figure it out and he only mentioned chelsea and porto.

you feel tyler would be able to answer that one straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

They'll have to bring Tyler back, Hawthorne was dead boring last night, there was little sign of an excitement, the commentary on the ITV highlights was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Shamrok wrote:
    I think the best commentators are the Five Live guys — especially Alan Green. I always use the sound from them via the digibox if there is a live match on RTE. The only one I can't listen to there is Conor McNamara. You might remember he used to commentate on TV3 up to about 2002. He annoys me a lot — mainly because he has now picked up a very noticeable English twang to his accent.

I'd agree, Alan Green is just legendary. His autobiog is a very good read.

But I do disagree with you on Conor McNamara. I couldn't stand him on TV3, but he has good powers of description (needed in radio commentary) and has improved.

As for Rob Hawthorne, he normally does the big League Cup games, so, for Tyler to be missing for last nights game, is not that surprising. For him to do a PPV game, is surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bateman wrote:
    They'll have to bring Tyler back, Hawthorne was dead boring last night, there was little sign of an excitement, the commentary on the ITV highlights was much better.
    Its most likely a row between Tyler and Gray. Tyler must have been in the wrong as he is getting the less attractive matches.

Has anyone read anything difinitive on this whole Martin Tyler thing? Apologies if something official has been posted earlier in the thread, I ain't trawling back.

Well Martin is back today for the Chelsea game along side Andy Pandy, no doubt he'll do the Arsenal game.

• Advertisement

The Chelsea game is hardly a big game in fairness, the Arsenal game will say alot about his situation as will the next super sunday league game.

Martin Tyler is doing the Man U v Birmingham game on Art Sport now, so he will not be doing the PPV this evening so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

How are you watching ART?

Martin Tyler back today along side Andy Gray, for the Chelsea V Man City game.

Yeah, and the banter seemed quite genuine between them I thought, Gray said "you're right there, Martin..." quite a bit.

Advertisement