Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Installing w98 on a P3 machine

• 15-01-2005 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got a pc repaired and now I want to install Windows 98 onto the Hard Drive. The bios is not able to handle XP so I have to use 98. I'm not sure if it repaired fully as I can't really tell, but I may still have some problems as I had before.

I have both windows 98 and windows 98 Second Edition original CD's that both say "for distribution with a new pc"

I out the cd in and it was about to format it and then it asked for a boot CDROM. What is this? Where do I get it? I'm not sure if this usually happens or is it just my pc acting up?

The HD is empty anyway and hasn't got an OS on it.

What is the process of installing w98 on such a machine. Can I create a boot disc in Windows XP? how?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone know? thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

The Windows 98SE CD is a boot disk, it has to be able to do everything required to format and setup you hard drive for the install of the OS. myaby you should try the disk partition section of the install, this will ensuire that your HDD is set up correctly for the format and data install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What was repaired? What is the problem with the BIOS regarding XP - the BIOS shouldn't really be an issue? Does it let you boot from the Win98 CD? (presumably does)

By the looks of things, it should work. Maybe try partitioning and formatting first, then copying the 'Win98' directory from the CD to the HDD and install from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

probably irrelevant: but you need a patch to install win98 on a machine with a fast cpu. think it's something like 2ghz though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As long as you are sure the P3 came with 98 or you have a transferrable license. etc.

Check in the BIOS for boot from CD options also you may need to change the DMA mode if the CD still don't boot.

pwd wrote:
    probably irrelevant: but you need a patch to install win98 on a machine with a fast cpu. think it's something like 2ghz though.

This is only true for Windows 95, on AMD K6-2 processors higher than 350MHz, Athlon 1.1GHz and Pentium 4 machines. There are problems with high amounts of RAM in Windows 95/98/Me but this is only a problem above 512MB.

Regarding cormie's problem, either try using a boot disk or see if the CD-ROM can be booted from in the BIOS.

Advertisement