Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree of Vertical Integration

Options
  • 15-01-2005 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Google's definitions of vertical integration define it as:
    'An arrangement in which the same company owns all the different aspects of making, selling, and delivering a product or service.'

For example in the power industry the situation where the power company controls generation, transmission, distribution and sales.

I am writing an essay on a virtual organisation i.e. they outsource their manufacturing sales and customer service functions. Does a virtual organisation have a narrow or broad vertical scope seeing as it does not specifically own these functions?

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

ballooba wrote:
    Google's definitions of vertical integration define it as:
    'An arrangement in which the same company owns all the different aspects of making, selling, and delivering a product or service.'

For example in the power industry the situation where the power company controls generation, transmission, distribution and sales.

I am writing an essay on a virtual organisation i.e. they outsource their manufacturing sales and customer service functions. Does a virtual organisation have a narrow or broad vertical scope seeing as it does not specifically own these functions?

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Ok here's something, but not from my academia but from actual work experience. I'd say that it has a narrow vertical scope because its influence over the outsourced companies is minimal at the best of times. Also, with those 3 areas outsourced, it also reduces internal visibility within the organisation - its harder for those 3 areas to then communicate with each other; they may need to go through the virtual company itself. Outsourcing = bad IMHO.

Advertisement