Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opinions on a new focus zetec?

Options
  • 15-01-2005 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

hi,
    I'm thinking of changing my punto to a larger car. I'm looking at something like the new Focus Zetec 1.6 or I can get a decent deal on a new Alfa 147 lusso.
    The Alfa is 2 grand more and I'm worried about it reliability-wise.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Focus - or suggestions on alternatives?

I want a 3 door, air con is a must (brutal hay fever) and I'd like a new car - I intend to keep this one for a few years.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I assume you mean the older mk2 Focus. The TDCI is the best out of the whole lot (other than the RS) if you can find one in the republic. After that the 1.6 is the best allrounder. They all handle great aswell. I'm always on the eye out for a '02 or '03 TdCI. the torque is suppose to be superb. I taught about trading my current Focus in for a 147 a few weeks before xmas but decided against it. The 147 is like a lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

ando wrote:
    I assume you mean the older mk2 Focus.
    nope - I mean a new '05 from a showroom.
    ando wrote:
    The 147 is like a lottery
    That's what I'm worried about - it might be fine or it might be a nightmare.
    I was advised against it in the alfa dealership the other day - by one of the staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

deRanged wrote:
    I was advised against it in the alfa dealership the other day - by one of the staff!

thats not saying much about them is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

the new focus in 3 door is lovely!! inside is really nice and comfy and theyr sooo nice to drive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Based purely upon the few reviews I've seen the new Focus seems to be as good or better a drive than the previous model and seems to be a fairly safe choice. Personally I think they turned it into a bland-mobile by playing the redesign too safe, but I don't think you can go too far wrong with it. You might consider looking at the Citroen C4, which scrubs up pretty well with the right wheels etc., and is a whole lot more adventurous than the Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Saw my first (C4) this morning in D6... Nice, me likes a lot. In fact, a whole of a lot more than any Focus. And the less said about italian cars, the better. ;)

'Been a long time since Citroen did anything that got me going (last was a CX I had for a very short while, Mk1 CX 25 GTI Turbo - you're talking years and years back).

Advertisement