Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I need a car(€5000)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You may be right but
    a) I wasn't aware of it then,
    b) I was really stuck and needed a quick, reliable fix, (my poor sick baby was parked at my parents on the opposite side of the big smoke!)
    c) I originally thought it was going to be about 2/3 of that price!
    d) at this stage I have accepted the financial loss and am happy with the restored power and am just looking towards increasing it (more financial loss I guess!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    I had to fork out €1200 for a new cat recently

Feck that's terrible :(

What's the mileage on the 523? I was under the impression that a cat lasts for up to about 100k if you're lucky

@lomb - From your link:
    you cna probably still have the entire system installed for under $500

I have 2 cats :)

One of the many good feelings I had before I bought was that they had just been replaced. My planned "soft spot / period" will take the car up to about 140k so I will never have to get them replaced

unkel wrote:

What's the mileage on the 523? I was under the impression that a cat lasts for up to about 100k if you're lucky
    523i is on ~65k miles. Apparently these cats only last about 6-8 years and is a common enough item to wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unkel wrote:

@lomb - From your link:

I have 2 cats :)

One of the many good feelings I had before I bought was that they had just been replaced. My planned "soft spot / period" will take the car up to about 140k so I will never have to get them replaced
    i

hi unkel if u read the parts list he does mention 2 cats in the 500

:):):):):):):)

in any case gsf have cats for 350 euro each inc vat so a failed cat is not the end of the world.

on another point unkel i heard that v8 bmws are suseptible to water entering the engine and destroying it even if u drive slowly through a flooded road. this seems to have troubled the 740i in particular for some reason. cost of engine rebuild with new block probably 10000 so be careful now that the rainy season is coming.cold water can also damage the hot cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I just thought I'd post this probably everyone knows already. BMW 520i's were recalled due to the aluminium block bee'n eaten by sulpher in petrol. A lot were recalled and replaced by exactly the same engine, as BMW had no alternative, as some engines failed as early as 40,000 miles. So 98 2 litre BMW buyers beware. But you probably knew this already.

• Advertisement

[ Maybe this thread needs a new title! ]
    That problem was caused by premature wearing of the nikasil bore liners. Engines were replaced with different (steel) liners. BMW (GB) tended to replace blocks for the cost of fluids (coolant & oil) whereas BMW (Irl) weren't (AFAIK) as generous.
    Engines affected were the M52 straight 6 and the M60 V8 between late 1995 and March 1998. However, due to the nature of the issue cars were not recalled but were dealt with if the problem arose.
    A leakdown test will reveal any existing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just on my own experience. My 520 i failed at 49'000. The engine was replaced under warranty by B.M.W. They were amazed it missed "the recall". The reason as explained to me was the "alusil bonding process". laboratory fuel had bee'n used in testing. This had no sulphur content, whereas forecourt petrol did. Ridiculously it took 3 months to replace the engine. However I have to say the whole thing was hassle free, and dealt with proffesionaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

thanks for all the replys, ye certenly gave me a lot to look up on the net and so on, i think ill pass on the mercs\rolls\high end bmws for the moment(that said i like the idea of driving a 5\3 series bmw a lot), maybe till car after this one, insurance is a factor for me as well(have full lisence and 1yrs NCB)

i only drive myself most of the time or 1 passenger, so 4 doors arnt a prioerty, the starlet gt turbo looks ok, and im sure drives fine, as does a carina. both fall well inside my budget. but surly there are more potentiol cars to looks at.

i do drive a lot(well probably not as much as most of ye but about 16000 a year) so comfort and road noise in the car is important to me as well

any more recomendations?

Try to find a 99 or 00 Xantia HDi.

I have a 98 Turbo D with 105k Miles when bought and now has 130k miles, nothing has gone wrong, reasonable insurance, very comfortable, loads of space and looks great (I think). Fantastic car.

The turbo D gets about 45 MPG but have been reliably informed that the HDi returns 55 MPG.

The Xantia is basically a Peugeot 406 with better build quality (yes really, look at the rubbers around the window on the peugeot), options and hydropneumatic suspension (make sure you have a mechanic who's familiar with this).

HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

thanks for all the replys, ye certenly gave me a lot to look up on the net and so on, i think ill pass on the mercs\rolls\high end bmws for the moment(that said i like the idea of driving a 5\3 series bmw a lot), maybe till car after this one, insurance is a factor for me as well(have full lisence and 1yrs NCB)

i only drive myself most of the time or 1 passenger, so 4 doors arnt a prioerty, the starlet gt turbo looks ok, and im sure drives fine, as does a carina. both fall well inside my budget. but surly there are more potentiol cars to looks at.

i do drive a lot(well probably not as much as most of ye but about 16000 a year) so comfort and road noise in the car is important to me as well

any more recomendations?

Try to find a 99 or 00 Xantia HDi.

I have a 98 Turbo D with 105k Miles when bought and now has 130k miles, nothing has gone wrong, reasonable insurance, very comfortable, loads of space and looks great (I think). Fantastic car.

The turbo D gets about 45 MPG but have been reliably informed that the HDi returns 55 MPG.

The Xantia is basically a Peugeot 406 with better build quality (yes really, look at the rubbers around the window on the peugeot), options and hydropneumatic suspension (make sure you have a mechanic who's familiar with this).

Picture HERE

Advertisement