Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation Relief on Rent

Options
  • 15-01-2005 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

My landlord does not accept cheques. But I was thinking about taxation relief on rent - when I leave the dwelling.

What proof do I need for the revenue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Getting your landlord's PPS number is the easiest way. If he, er "doesn't accept cheques, mate" then perhaps he's the type of landlord that mightn't want to give you his PPS number.

Have you receipts or a rent book?

I've heard tell of the tax office giving the allowance even with an extremely uncooperative landlord but if you've the above it would help you greatly.

There's some info and a link to the form here and you could do worse than to contact your local tax office here (assuming you're still in Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Cork wrote:
    My landlord does not accept cheques. But I was thinking about taxation relief on rent - when I leave the dwelling.

What proof do I need for the revenue?
    Do You have receipts?
    did you ask him about his pps number?
    if he won't give it just tell the revenue on your tax form when you make your tax returns. Just give his name, address of dwelling, and his address if you have it?
    worked for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Thanks sceptre & JD. He does not give reciepts. Something like "Rising Damp"

The house is ok. I'll probably wait to claim it when I move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jd wrote:
    Do You have receipts?
    did you ask him about his pps number?
    if he won't give it just tell the revenue on your tax form when you make your tax returns. Just give his name, address of dwelling, and his address if you have it?
    worked for me..

Do that!! Revenue like it, helps them nail people not declaring rental income. He is also supposed to have a rent book by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

is_that_so wrote:
    Do that!! Revenue like it, helps them nail people not declaring rental income.
    Yip-
    that is one of the reasons for the allowance. I got my tax rebate no problem. The landlady concerned spewed abused at me once when I ran into her again on Thomas Street. She was an awfl yoke anyway- made a fortune by selling property to the digital tub..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

"Don't take cheques" usually can be interpreted as "I don't pay tax."

There is nothing to stop you giving the tax office his or her name and address and they will give you the relief. Only hitch is technically they can then give you notice as retaliatory action. Even with the new law they still can ask you to leave for any reason if you are there less than 6 months as long as they give the correct amount of notice. It was a major bone of contention with the landlords, who are unfortunately much more heavily represented in the Dail, Senate and Civil Service, and generally see themsleves as "victims" of an oppressive law.

But hey once you sign up for it they just keep giving it to you, so even if you move you don't have to fill out a new form. Technically they can ask you for receipts but since a rent book is now the law, all you have to do is show your rent book.

If you don't have a rent book the landlord is breaking the law and can be fined. Worth reminding them if this does happen. Unless you have cheap rent and an "understanding" relationship with the landlord. Unfortunately as far as I can see it is very rare these days to find a landlord who rents below market rate when they don't pay tax. There are still a few. (Like my own landlord. To some extent knowing she doesn't pay tax is a powerful method of leverage). Not many though. As far as I can see even the tax dodging landlords these days look for market rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I would be very surprised if he was paying tax.

He said at the start that he does not accept cheques. The house itself is ok.

I won't bother claiming the relief untill I move out. But in my experience rent books are scarce on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You only need your Landlord's PPS number if you are claiming back tax. Otherwise all you need to do is ring the tax office and tell them you are paying rent and you would like your tax benefits adjusted accordingly.

If I were you I wouldn't wait until I'd moved out to try get tax relief when I can get it now.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Anyone know what the deal is in the UK? I'm earning £15,625 before Tax, but my rent is £476 per month... I am paying about £300 tax a month... surely I get some relief? I'm skint!

John

Lump wrote:
    I'm earning £15,625 before Tax, but my rent is £476 per month... I am paying about £300 tax a month...

:eek: :eek: :eek: That only leaves you £6,313 a year to live on!!

Move back to Ireland!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

when are you eligible for tax back on rented accomodation??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Lump wrote:
    Anyone know what the deal is in the UK? I'm earning £15,625 before Tax, but my rent is £476 per month... I am paying about £300 tax a month... surely I get some relief? I'm skint!

John
    there is no relief as far as i know in the uk,i just filled in my uk tax return yesterday and there was no mention of any rent relief on the 14 page tax form.
    many other reliefs but no rent or council tax relief. u should get the first 4 grand of ur income tax free and then 1200 of it is taked at 10% then the next 28 or so grand is taxed at 22% so u should be paying about 2320 pounds of tax. national insurance is about for employees is about 1300 for u i think. so u are correct! 300 tax is spot on.

GAAAAA, that's not what I wanted to hear.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sorry :( mayb u should come back to ireland, it is very hard to live on that in london. they should pay more!any chance of a raise?

Na... I'm a trainee... I'm blessed, most people at my level earn about £8,000 a year. I'll get a big pay rise at the end of traineeship, 2 years from now.

John

VinnyL wrote:

What do you mean, "when are you eligible?"
    You are always eligible!

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i had a landlord who wanst paying any tax on what we were paying him for our rent. We only found this out when we asked him for his pps no. We came to an alternative arrangement where he gave us about €350 each instad of claiming. He was sound and that was about 100 more that the rent releif at the time so we took the cash instead of dobbing him in to the tax man.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

VinnyL wrote:
    It need to be private rented accommodation. To benefit, you actually need to be paying tax. You complete form RENT1 from www.revenue.ie

Advertisement