Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Broadband Providers in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

digiweb's wireless bizwave upload and download speeds are reversed
    Download Speed: 0.256Mbps
    Upload Speed: 1Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• No where does it say whether the price includes VAT or not
    • Unless I've got something pretty darn wrong, 0.512Mbps != 512Kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

I count about 30 providers in the gov web site. How the hell does Noel talk on newstalk106 of 130?
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

cgarvey wrote:
    • No where does it say whether the price includes VAT or not
    • Unless I've got something pretty darn wrong, 0.512Mbps != 512Kbps

FWIY that figure was quoted in a slide show at the GBS relaunch on last Tuesday. It caught my eye as well.

I can see why it’s used, and in some ways echoes the old hard drive manufacturer’s notions about a megabit versus a real megabit i.e. 1024 x 1024 or 1024 x 1000 or 1000 x 1000

For most non techie people .512Mbps makes more sense than .5 Mbps = 512kbps. I don't agree with it but I can see the reasoning.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Did Da Minister not say that the 130 figure came from Comreg when he mentioned it at the GBS Launch last week ?

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Might be 30 providers but it might be about 130 different packages on that list. Could that be what he means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

jor el wrote:
    Might be 30 providers but it might be about 130 different packages on that list. Could that be what he means?

That's what he said:
    "Noel Dempsey: Well I think it depends on who you get it from. I think it is a case of consumers really shopping around and again there were about 25/30 companies/service providers operating here 2 years ago. There is about 130/140 at the moment.

There are all sorts of varieties and so on. I think very often people who are coming to this new don’t know the technical details; they don’t know about the quality issues, that it's better to get 1 megabyte b/b rather than, you know, DSL perhaps on its own.'

P.

Advertisement