Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew in 20 years

Options
  • 15-01-2005 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

This was in the Irish Times Magazine today. Some people may already have seen it. Basically some people were interviewed about where they see themselves in twenty years, and Andrew the RA was one of them.

'Andrew Byrne (20) is studying history and Politics in Trinity College Dublin. He is on the committee of the "Hist" Society, writes for Trinity News and is a member of the Young Greens.
    The opportunities are so vast that I found this a scary thing to be thinking of. But leaving that aside, it would be kind of cool if at 40 I was on the back of a jeep racing across some war zone reporting about a crisis that is going on in the world. Studying history you get to learn about these events from the past but it would be incredible to actually be a part of it. I know I will have had itchy feet quite a lot by the time I am 40 and will have travelled quite widely and lived abroad for a few years. I would like be to in a committed relationship but don't think I want children. As far as Ireland is concerned I hope by 2025 it has turned into a more tolerant and welcoming place, and that it's not so Americanised that it has become some random country with nothing to distinguish it from anywhere else.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

he must be taking the p*ss! the poor Americans though.... they actually think that they have a well rounded and un-biased outlook on international affairs. When clearly - seeing as that the country is so huge (and powerful) the diversity is so evident in their own country, that they must(evidently) find it difficult to comprehend another nations' citizens' viewpoints. For example, in conversation with an American friend of my fathers, (who was well educated and by no means ignorant) it became apparent that he thought that Iraq needed an American invasion because they lack all the necessities of modern life, that they are a backward country: "They don't even have fast-food over there".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pretty cool thought. Where would we all like to be in twenty years time? I'd like to be a professional musician. Anything else I'm not too worried about, other than that's what I intend to do with my life. Andrew was the best RA ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Where would i like to be? anywhere but here. also someone remind to slag andrew on monday :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

I'll be dead in twenty years time. Which reminds me, Everyone that I like is invited to my funeral. Look up the obituarys for the 24th of April 2012 for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

reminder set on phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

meh!!!
    they should've asked me!!!

btw, Neil you owe me 2 pints!!!

but newho, for everybody elses benefit I'll answer this now
    in 20 years I kinda see myself in a pub having a few...to a lot, of drinks enjoying my life having fun and not having to complain about one thing that I did in my life!!!

WWOOOOO!!! no regrets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Dermo: haha, i'm now hitting broke again! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

twenty years from now? i want to live in london be married and have at least one little girl and own a chichi little boutique in somewhere like hoxton and wear really expensive jeans and edit vogue.....
    you can't say i'm not ambitious :P

I hope to be like either hugh hefner (not kevin, the real one) or shane mcgowan.

More than likely will be like dilbert or somethin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ColHol wrote:
    I hope to be like shane mcgowan.

Undead? Coz, he really looks like he was dug out of somewhere.

Anyway, I want to be on stage. Preferably playing big roles and big venues, but i'll take anything really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

you don't want to be shane mcgowan. trust me.

yeah i suppose, he has WAAAYYYYY too much blood in his alcohol system

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Raphael wrote:

Anyway, I want to be on stage. Preferably playing big roles and big venues, but i'll take anything really.

I do too. Either doing really intense creative alternative theatre or be the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

20 years time? I'd better be an officer. Maybe just once someone will call me "sir", without adding "you're making a scene"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well apart from the obvious taking over of the world(has nobody else mentioned this yet? I feel weird now...), I'd like to have done something with my life that would have helped other people....eg made some breakthrough discovery in genetics that could cure a disease or prevent it from occuring in the first place, or something along those lines. Yeah, most likely not gonna happen, but I'm gonna try my best.
    I'll be 36 by then, so I'd like to be married, dunno about kids.
    I'm only after thinking about this on the spot, if I remember anything else, I'll edit it in or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

In 20 years time I hope to be Killian McCarthy PhD and hopefully have a psychology practise up and running. I'd like to be successful, happy and secure and to be able to share that with "the One". To be published in one capacity or another is another ambition.Fame is unlikely. This world barely copes with me as it is.

Failing that: Emperor of the known universe would have to suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I plan on being a photographer for National Geographic, or anything that involves me travelling the world and taking pictures of very beautiful places. Or less beautiful places. Just places in general is good. Or people, even. I know, I'll just say "the world" and leave it like so.
    And while being a photographer, I plan on being a writer, and writing books. Which, as this dream scenario would have it, people would like. In a cult following sort of a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I'd like to be the next metallica bassist when the current one dies/quits/is fired/spontaniously combusts.

Or maybe I'll be a painfully successful film maker who has more hoes than one can shake an elongated baby fingernail at.

In reality, I'll most likely be the guy who serves Kermit D. Frog his latte...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well apart from the obvious taking over of the world(has nobody else mentioned this yet? I feel weird now...),

I though we already establised Aidan's getting me the world for my birthday?

not gonna happen. you can be the vice-dictator, or something though.

• Advertisement

ya......she's a dictator, she'l just invent some highly paid, low work "job"... you mightn't have power, but you'll have job satisfaction......

and a free country. who wants what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i want to maybe be married, probably have kids, a career that isnt exactly the same everyday, something im interested and passionate about, a complete lack of drama in my life, work satisfaction would be nice, a comfortable income, nice home, occasional solicalising, nice quiet normal life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Hey all,

On the 20 years time front, I dunno. Something cool that doesn't kill me! I'll be 39 then and I don't plan to live much over 50, so it better have been fun...

On the slagging Andrew front, I might see him tonight cos he's in an Irish Times debate in UCD, so I'll get him then. Mwahahaha. etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

JenLorigan wrote:
    This was in the Irish Times Magazine today. Some people may already have seen it. Basically some people were interviewed about where they see themselves in twenty years, and Andrew the RA was one of them.

'Andrew Byrne (20) is studying history and Politics in Trinity College Dublin. He is on the committee of the "Hist" Society, writes for Trinity News and is a member of the Young Greens.
    The opportunities are so vast that I found this a scary thing to be thinking of. But leaving that aside, it would be kind of cool if at 40 I was on the back of a jeep racing across some war zone reporting about a crisis that is going on in the world. Studying history you get to learn about these events from the past but it would be incredible to actually be a part of it. I know I will have had itchy feet quite a lot by the time I am 40 and will have travelled quite widely and lived abroad for a few years. I would like be to in a committed relationship but don't think I want children. As far as Ireland is concerned I hope by 2025 it has turned into a more tolerant and welcoming place, and that it's not so Americanised that it has become some random country with nothing to distinguish it from anywhere else.'

Andy Byrne in a war zone :D

ya, you can't help but laugh.....uncontrolleably.......and out loud.......muahahahahahahahahaha

Advertisement