Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biz Idea: Applications of Web/Mobile Combo Scripts

Options
  • 15-01-2005 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello All:

I hope this is the right place to post this . . .

A friend of mine is big into writing nifty little web/email scripts and is also into premium mobile stuff too.

We were musing over a few applications for his work and were wondering if anyone would you pay, say, 50 cents a week for an e-mail containing a listing of all the gigs and other entertainment events in your local area so you don't have to go rooting for info?

This would be charged automatically to your mobile phone bill/credit (you'd get a premium rate message telling you a messag is waiting in your inbox) and you could opt-out any time you like.

Does that sounds like something that would be of interest to any of you (this isn't the scope of my research - I'm just interested in personal opinions! :o)

Also, is there anything else you would pay up to a few Euros a week/month/whatever . . . like local weather forecasts, tidal times, public transport timetables . . . whatever!!?

What about little publications that could be read on your phone (short report on self improvement, sexual health, dental hygiene, etc. etc . . )?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Regards,
    Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Personally - not a chance.

Just get the info free online or get a paper. And get it when you want - waiting on an email to arrive in your inbox - can't see that working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Why have to wait for once a week?

Lets say im out and about and want a list of gigs. I send a text message to you and you send back a text with up to date list of gigs / shows and an indication of ticket availability. that is what people will pay for.

I can then reply to you to say which show im interested in and you automatically purchase the tickets and send me a reference number that i can quote at the door. All done on the mobile when i want, all automatically paid for, sorted!

Now give me a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

fintan wrote:
    Why have to wait for once a week?

No reason at all! :rolleyes:

I only based it on a weekly fax sheet that used to come to my office years back and it was posted on the notice board.

I liked it simply because I *didn't* have to go looking in the paper to see what's on this weekend - I could just glance at the notice board.

Maybe I should have said a weekly e-mail to your work e-mail (for those who work in offices) - would that make ot more attractive to anyone (except the boss! :D )
    fintan wrote:
    Lets say im out and about and want a list of gigs. I send a text message to you and you send back a text with up to date list of gigs / shows and an indication of ticket availability. that is what people will pay for.

Do you mean for specific venues or a general list for a particular town or locality (or street, if you're in a big city)?

Would you also want that for places where you don't need a ticket (what's on in the local pubs, for example)?
    fintan wrote:
    I can then reply to you to say which show im interested in and you automatically purchase the tickets and send me a reference number that i can quote at the door. All done on the mobile when i want, all automatically paid for, sorted!

Okay - looks like a good idea - I'm not a techie so I haven't a clue about how to do that but I'll mention ot to him. Thanks for that! :)
    fintan wrote:
    Now give me a job!

When we roll out nationwide, you can have a seat on the board! :D

Regards,
    Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I'll hold you to that! :)

fintan wrote:
    I'll hold you to that! :)
    Of course, you understand I mean in an advisary capacity only, don't you!? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

yes would be very intere3sted

post some more details

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

coolio_64 wrote:
    post some more details
    Include a business plan, source code, and seed capital. We won't steal it, honest.

dahamsta wrote:
    Include a business plan, source code, and seed capital. We won't steal it, honest.
    LOL . . . there's nothing to post right now . . . still at the idle speculation stage! :)

Advertisement