Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

European cars

Options
  • 15-01-2005 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a foreign car. I have bought EU cars for ages and I am unhappy with the dealer support. Can I expect better service from dealers of foreign cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

well toyota dealers are quite friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Foreign cars? How quaint! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Seriously joolsveer, what sort of cars have you bought ?

LHD only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    Foreign cars? How quaint! :D

ROFL - long time since the Beetle was assembled over here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have always found in Ireland that all dealers are most friendly, will help you with anything you need , sort out all problems to the customers utmost satisfaction. Untill you sign ,pay. and drive away. Then it's bye bye baby, don't come back this way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Silvera wrote:
    Seriously joolsveer, what sort of cars have you bought ?

LHD only ?

By "foreign" I mean non EU made. The cars I have bought were as follows
    Fiat, VW, Opel, Peugeot, Renault. I have owned cars since 1975 which I suppose could make me seem "quaint".

I currently have a Mégane II 1.6 which I bought in 1993. I have already posted some of my experiences with this car which has about 11,000 miles on the clock. I bought it new from the local Renault dealer in Blanchardstown.

link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198727

One of the problems I find with EU made cars is that all of them I have owned were designed as LHD cars and then converted to RHD. Sometimes this has resulted in dangerous compromises as in the possibility that the front passenger can inadvertently activate the brakes!

This was in relation to a Mégane II also.

Has anybody got any views as to suitable foreign cars for a quaint old f**t who wants an automatic, with full set of airbags, ABS, traction control, climate control, four or five doors, cd/radio with controls on steering column and cruise control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Toyota Camry.

Mike.

ps whats your budget?

mike65 wrote:
    Toyota Camry.

Mike.

ps whats your budget?

It's whatever my missus allows me to spend!

Isn't the Camry the one which looks like it got its guts hanging out (from a rear view)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

joolsveer,

how can the front passenger (in a megane?) inadvertently activate the brakes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    how can the front passenger (in a megane?) inadvertently activate the brakes :confused:

By slamming down his/her foot. Well reported on a few months back, even here (iirc I started thread on this)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Has anybody got any views as to suitable foreign cars for a quaint old f**t
    Honda Accord, new or used you should get everything you want on it and they're about as reliable as you can get. As to whether your nearest dealer (Canavans?) will be any better than the Euro dealers, not a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have to agree with Paulo.

Had a 94 Honda Accord a couple of years ago as a company car. Had it for 4 years and put 100k miles on the clock with only one problem - radio kept asking for the security code, unit replaced under warranty. Very nippy in 2.0i form and the only money spent on it was for servicing, tyres and timing belt. Even the original battery was in it when it was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I was also going to suggest Honda Accord or even Civic. I think the Civic came in a 1.6 Automatic. Honda are extremely reliable cars and the Accord would have a good spec. Also, since they're made in Japan, some of them would have been designed as R.H.D. (Japanese drive on the left).
    If not maybe Nissan MAxima? I know they're cheap, comfortable and high on spec but I don't know what their reliability record is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Honda Jazz, Civic 3/5 dr and Accord are all made in Swindon, UK for the last couple of years so most are engineered in RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Joolsveer:Have you considered that part of the reason you're having so many problems may be due to your low mileage. 11,000 miles since 1993 is after all remarkably low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Honda's do have one hell of a reputation. I remember Jeremy Clarkson said that if Honda built people no-one would die - following Sunday Honda took out a full page ad in the Sunday Times - passport photo of JC in the middle and the quote underneath.

jlang wrote:
    Joolsveer:Have you considered that part of the reason you're having so many problems may be due to your low mileage. 11,000 miles since 1993 is after all remarkably low.

I used to do a greater mileage and had cars that were bits of bangers. I foolishly expected that when I had a few bob and could buy a new car that I would have fewer problems. Alas it was not the case. The service interval on my current car is 18,000 so I can't imagine that it should be troublesome at 11,000 since September 2003.

Advertisement