Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL stayed open in Midleton Shame on you

• 15-01-2005 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

All other business closed in respect of Robert..They Stayed open
    christine.rittner@lidl.ie is the mail to complain please spread this around

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

would you really expect more fom Lidl? this is the company that proposed employees wear an armband during their period, so that people weren't taking breaks when they shouldn't...
    http://www.tsjechie.net/forum/printthread.php?Cat=&Board=actueel&main=25026&type=thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rorygbluz

yeah I now I say the orders came from higher management...
    nothing to do with local management
    I found it quite sad though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

lets see, in the weeks and months to come how the people will show how they feel. but, yeah,, dont blame the staff and management of this outlet.. they just do what they are told. mind you if they had made a simple statement it might have helped. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

email i got back from lidl:

In response to your email please find below a statement from Lidl Ireland GmbH

The staff and management of Lidl Ireland GmbH would like to express their deepest sympathy with the Holohan Family.

By remaining open on Saturday, it was not our intention to be disrespectful in any way. We apologise to anyone who may have been offended by our actions.

Assuring you our best intentions at all times.

Susan Somers
    Customer Services

seems fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I suppose they stayed open for people who needed to get a few bits and bobs, like local employers and employees. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Fair enough, but companies don't close when events such as these occur in other countries. It's the cold face of caplitalism (and cheap prices!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well thy misjudged the situation, but they'll pay for it in lost business for a little while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 celsis

Lidl!!!??? This is the same outfit that, when i lived in Bielefeld, Germany, sacked all their local store staff for joining a union! I wouldn't buy a packet of crisps from them.

Celsis :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

celsis wrote:
    Lidl!!!??? This is the same outfit that, when i lived in Bielefeld, Germany, sacked all their local store staff for joining a union! I wouldn't buy a packet of crisps from them.

Celsis :mad:

Guys leave Lidl alone !! at least they are not ridiing us like SPar Musgrave Group the other 365 days of the year !!! They have brought compettion to the retail market. Who knows what we'd be paying now if they never came !!!! and wait for IKEA the same will happen for the furniture industry !!!

Its not the Lidl guys in Irleands fault. They do not get involved in local politics, no matter what the occasion is !! ITs a group decsion in Germany !!! direct your abuse at them !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

If I owned a business there, I wouldn't have closed. People die all the time. I close for my own family & friends, that's about it. Closing a business is no sign of respect, it's an excuse to go to the pub in the afternoon.

Peolpe are entitled thier opinion !!

daveirl wrote:

3,00 died on 9.11 and we has a national day of mourning !!!

250,00 died 26.12 and we choose to work !!!

people have interests!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Drapper wrote:
    3,00 died on 9.11 and we has a national day of mourning !!!

250,00 died 26.12 and we choose to work !!!

people have interests!!!!

Drapper... does your 0 button usually stop working just before you're finished using it?

I think the numbers you're looking for are 3,000 and 250,000.

As usual, it's difficult to figure out exactly what the point is that you're vaguely and effortlessly trying to make. I don't know about you but I certainly didn't choose to work on December 26th - nor on most of the days after it.

Personally if I was a member of that family, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if a store remained open that day or not. Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if they started a big sale that day. I don't entirely see how it is 'respectful' of a store to not provide it's usual service on the day of a funeral or a day of mourning. Neither do I see how a country declaring a day of mourning should mean that businesses should close and people should get a 'holiday'... but maybe that's just me.
    Drapper wrote:
    Guys leave Lidl alone !! at least they are not ridiing us like SPar Musgrave Group the other 365 days of the year !!!

It's a small point, but Spar is not the same as Musgrave. Spar itself, originating in Holland, is the largest chain of retail outlets on the planet, with over 17,500 stores worldwide, and in Ireland, it's run and supplied by the BWG Foods Group. Musgrave own the SuperValu and Centra brands which have franchise outlets nationwide. It's unfair to single Spar out for criticism when 1> they have to remain competitive with other stores and 2> there are plenty of other rip-off merchants out there.

Bard wrote:
    Drapper... does your 0 button usually stop working just before you're finished using it?

I think the numbers you're looking for are 3,000 and 250,000.

As usual, it's difficult to figure out exactly what the point is that you're vaguely and effortlessly trying to make. I don't know about you but I certainly didn't choose to work on December 26th - nor on most of the days after it.

Personally if I was a member of that family, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if a store remained open that day or not. Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me if they started a big sale that day. I don't entirely see how it is 'respectful' of a store to not provide it's usual service on the day of a funeral or a day of mourning. Neither do I see how a country declaring a day of mourning should mean that businesses should close and people should get a 'holiday'... but maybe that's just me.

It's a small point, but Spar is not the same as Musgrave. Spar itself, originating in Holland, is the largest chain of retail outlets on the planet, with over 17,500 stores worldwide, and in Ireland, it's run and supplied by the BWG Foods Group. Musgrave own the SuperValu and Centra brands which have franchise outlets nationwide. It's unfair to single Spar out for criticism when 1> they have to remain competitive with other stores and 2> there are plenty of other rip-off merchants out there.

Bard children die everyday around the world !! and the show still goes on ! I rest my case !! Cork no different !!

Point.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I agree if I owned a store I would not close it either, it is up the the owner to decide on there course of action. By no means did LIDL cause offence by remaining open. If this crime was comitted in Dublin to the same boy shops would not close it simply may be a case of small town country ideals syndrome.

But is was a tragic event dont get me wrong

TCP/IP wrote:
    I agree if I owned a store I would not close it either, it is up the the owner to decide on there course of action. By no means did LIDL cause offence by remaining open. If this crime was comitted in Dublin to the same boy shops would not close it simply may be a case of small town country ideals syndrome.

But is was a tragic event dont get me wrong

Glad someone agrees with me...........

Drapper wrote:
    Bard children die everyday around the world !! and the show still goes on ! I rest my case !! Cork no different !!

Point.

I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Perhaps total clarity is beyond you, perhaps not. I don't know. I'm just finding it difficult figuring out what your actual point is or whether you're just posting for the sake of posting.

Children die every day around the world, you say? Of course they do. Are 11 year old children brutally murdered on such a regular basis? No.

"And the show still goes on" ... Are you saying that stores should or shouldn't stay open on days like these?

By the way, over using exclamation marks doesn't drive your message home any more than normal... just a thought.

• Advertisement

Bard wrote:
    I'm sorry, I don't follow you. Perhaps total clarity is beyond you, perhaps not. I don't know. I'm just finding it difficult figuring out what your actual point is or whether you're just posting for the sake of posting.

Children die every day around the world, you say? Of course they do. Are 11 year old children brutally murdered on such a regular basis? No.

"And the show still goes on" ... Are you saying that stores should or shouldn't stay open on days like these?

By the way, over using exclamation marks doesn't drive your message home any more than normal... just a thought.

Yes and Yes............. personal attacks a sign of weakness ??? jasus you must have nothing more to do !!

Children - die - murdered - all over the world - what part do you not understand ?

Show goes on = Life continues ................... kepp shops open

Man are you with it ??? think all them posts are gone to your head !!!!

Right... well I'm glad we (sort of) agree then.

I'm saying that shops shouldn't feel obliged to close and that, for me, them closing doesn't show any particular extra mark of respect than them staying open.

I didn't make any personal attacks on you, I just asked you to be more clear in what you were saying as I was finding it difficult understanding you. Perhaps it's my flu-ish feverish mind, perhaps its your wording, I don't know. Semantics it may be but "Children die" is not the same thing as "Children are murdered".

I did suggest for you own benefit that your use of multiple exclamation marks (and also, apparently, full stops and question marks) doesn't make your posts any easier to read - thats all.

As for "all them posts are gone to your head" - don't be silly. So I've posted a fair share on the site in my almost 5 years here. So what? That's hardly relevant. Try to stay on topic.

Frankly, I don't think it's particularly fair of the thread starter to post up an email address of someone within LIDL, asking people to send complaints to it and pass it on. Is he really expecting that filling the poor womans inbox with nasty disrespectful missives from web boards community members is going to have any positive effect?

I worked for Lidl in my past, and I think they are hard nosed Germans...

BTW, my typing skills are CRAP so apologies for over use of !!! and missing texts

Sure we all make mistakes. Understanding most posts on Boards is a task !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Exactly the point if it happened in Dublin. But it didn't. In Dublin you don't even know your neighbours, thats not the case in a town down the country. Thats not to say there was anything wrong with staying open. But it would cause some ill will for a while.

Advertisement