Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planetside news

• 16-01-2005 7:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

There's a bunch of new PS stuff incoming so I thought I'd keep everyone over here informed. The battle rank limit has been increased from 20 to 23 from wednesday. The global lattice is being changed some time over the next few weeks. Merit commendations are due at the same time.

Base redesigns are being worked on steadily.

There's a bunch of stuff that the producers letter from a day or two ago covers aswell, so I'm quoting it below.
    http://planetside.station.sony.com/community/team_letters.jsp

Greetings, Soldiers!

The start of a new year is oftentimes a point of contemplation; both on the past year and what the coming one will hold. For me, the last year has been a blessing and a challenge. I have the distinct honor and unique opportunity to build upon the hard work of the talented crew of innovators that brought us the original PlanetSide. In this new role, I also have the pleasure of interacting with the altogether awesome PlanetSide community.

PlanetSide's community has proven its passion in spades in the last month with their campaign to spread word of the game they love across the Internet. I and the team applaud these actions. We have all seen the positive impact this has had in game and across ForumSide (you know, the official PlanetSide message forums) and I want to convey the Development Team and Sony Online Entertainment's commitment to support PlanetSide on all fronts. To back that up, I want to share with you some specifics of our planning for 2005.

Spurred on by our fans unbridled enthusiasm, we have tipped over the coffers for a renewed marketing budget for '05 to continue spreading the good word. While ads are good for bringing players in, we know that to keep them and our existing customers, the game must evolve, stay fresh and exciting. Ongoing development is key for fueling word of mouth for as much, if not more, impact.

We have a strong line up of development goals for 2005 to do just that. These include: more ways to advance your characters, new equipment, systems to bolster support oriented players, better systems for command and coordination, along with the completion and implementation of the server scripting engine that we started in '04. This promises a more dynamic world serving up persistent objectives and meaningful reasons for conflict.

You can see evidence of our work toward these goals already in our January activities. We have already announced new battle ranks and a strong suite of merit commendations. Very shortly you will be seeing details of our January event along with specifics of the corresponding game lattice shake-up as a result of that event.

In addition to the above, we are working on an exciting new system we are calling Tournament Mode. The concept behind Tournament Mode is to enhance and extend the large scale strategic and tactical game through more organized competitive game play. The systems for Tournament Mode will allow us to offer ladder style competition, along with options for more casual play style familiar to other FPS gamers, all while retaining the "big" feel that is the war for Auraxis. Also, the systems and work behind Tournament Mode apply nicely to many of the other above stated goals. I have some great memories of my own time spent in serious online, ladder style, FPS competitive play and I'm quite jazzed to be bringing these elements to PlanetSide.

Lastly, we want to reaffirm some ever-present agenda items from our Team. Excellent game performance, a dearth of bugs and a zero tolerance for cheats and hacks are all ongoing principals for us. While some may argue that we haven't hit those marks in the past, we are working hard to insure that we do in the future. We know that, in today's competitive gaming market, there are a lot of options out there of what to play. We want to give our customers every reason to stick with us, and even more to encourage their friends to join them for some serious fun in PlanetSide.

Thank you sincerely for your continued patronage and support.

Alex "Samhayne" von Minden
    PlanetSide Producer and Lead Designer

Lots of intresting stuff to chew over.. tournament mode anybody? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Seriously, is this for real?
    This is supposed to make people come back, or more importantly make people stay?
    How's about balancing BFR's?
    How's about sorting FPS issues.
    How's about balancing some of the more overpowered weapons and vehicles.

Just like SOE, imho. Why try to fix whats wrong when you can just swamp people with new stuff. I mean seriously, BR 23. Whats the point?

Tournament mode, bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me shrugs

It's all free, and it sounds like it's going to be fun.

The BFRs are more or less balanced.. a single rexo can take out a BFR fairly easily now. Other than the aforementioned BFRs I don't see any real balance problems.

It sounds like you wouldn't be happy until they do everything you (rather than 'most people') want done, and then pay you to play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

BFRs aren't that big a deal anymore. I managed to take one out with an anti infantry max (and a bit of luck) a few weeks back.

The jumping BFR I've not used, so can't say if its properly balanced, but the normal one is ok.

Do we have many planetside players on here? What factions / outfits / usernames? Might be interesting to see who I can spot in game (through a x12 zoomed bolt driver scope usually <G>).

A few afaik

<-- MrMoriarty/NC Werner br20 cr4/Fight Club outfit

Haven't been able to play for the past few days because my dsl is gone to pot :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I'm TR Werner, outfit is Last Line of Defense
    Normal character is hairyheretic, BR19 , CR2 (but working on it)

Haven't been playing a lot in the last couple of weeks, as I was having a spin on the CoH beta test. Since it finishes Monday, I'll be back on more regularly then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Had a 18 NC on Werner as well when the game first came out but dunno if they would still be there?

Dunno. If it isn't, you can just /appeal to a CSR and they'll reactivate the character for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Planetside €7 in Virgin atm.

ehh for those who dont have it.

I`ll leave this weird place now.

kdjac

You can also download the client for free, get a free cd key and just pay the monthly fee.

Advertisement