Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a domain network

Options
  • 16-01-2005 10:22am

Hey all,

Hope this is a valid question for this forum, if not apologies.

I've been asked to setup a network, for up to 10 computers (and more, in the future) and I read that workgroups have a cut off point (XP Home can only have 5 connections at any one time, XP Pro 10), so a domain network seems to be the way to go.

The network, as it exists at the moment, has 7 computers all connected to a hub.

Is setting up a domain a case of
    1) Installing windows server 2000/2003
    2) Configuring that server to act as the domain controller
    3) Configuring the other computers to be in that domain

Also, could I still connect the DSL modem to the hub, so all computers could access the internet?

Thanks for any help regarding this query

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Moonhawk,

With regard to the "workgroup" vs "domain", the primary difference between the two is how security is handled. In a workgroup it's distributed, but in a domain it's centralised (domain is more secure). The limit in inbound connections for Workstation or Professional (10 inbound) still exists in the domain structure, but bear in mind that potentially a Windows server system (depending on licensing of course) has not limit on the number of inbound connections.

If you're going to 10 client systems, you really should be looking at some sort of server so that you can centralise backups, AV, e-mail, etc. The best value-for-money solution here would probably be MS's Small Business Server (SBS) Standard 2003, you get a package of Windows 2003 Server, Exchange 2003 and ISA 2003. You can go up premium if you need SQL.

As for providing DSL or internet connecivity, yes, you are correct, you can simply attach the DSL to the existing hubs and adjust all systems accordingly (i.e. default gateway should be the hub, DNS settings should be the server system and the DNS server should be forwarding to the ISPs DNS server).

Hope this helps,
    Jason.

Advertisement