Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Co. Meath

• 16-01-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭

A group called TaraWAN are building a wireless broadband network in south Co. Meath. The aim of the community project is to provide local people with many new services including broadband internet access. TaraWAN hope to begin rolling out their network in the coming months with an access point covering much of Kilmessan, Trim, Kiltale, Dunsany, Tara and Navan.
    If you live in or around this area and would like more information about TaraWAN their website is www.tarawan.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Thanks mate.

Just refering to the other thread,sorry for them posts,i wrote them all wrong,no sarcasm meant.Sorry all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Yeah, no probs here. You just have an unusual way of writing. Or maybe its just that sarcasm is so rife on this boards thing that I'm assuming everyone is taking the pish.
    No hard feelings from me anyway. Maybe I'll meet you in the hotel for a scoop or two some night.
    Might contact that Tarawan about BB, although I'm clutching at straws thinking that they'll hook up athboy.

Yah ill try and contact em.I got a bad way of writin btw :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Don't Digiweb cover where you live? They're fairly prolific in Meath.

• Advertisement

Well,they havent replyed to my 2 sent emails.How far will the masts cover,i live about what....2-3 miles from navan town.

eth0_ wrote:
    They're fairly prolific in Meath.

So are potholes and sheep.

Well,they havent replyed to my 2 sent emails.How far will the masts cover,i live about what....2-3 miles from navan town.

This is Ireland. Pick up the phone.

That should be enough, methinks.
    Sod emailing them, give 'em a call.

Yeh ill call em,actually i get and engaged tone like everytime,tarawan is my best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

TaraWAN are not an ISP, they are a group of people living in South Meath who cannot get broadband and are taking the initiative to do something about it. They are setting up a wireless network in their area which will provide network services including a broadband connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I have often thought about sharing out my broadband connection to others using my wireless network and access points. Might give this crowd a shout about it.

FYI... Currently using eircom dsl but I used to have Digiweb wireless and it wasn't very good. I'm just up on flowerhill (in navan), beside flowerhill furniture and have a great view over the town, e.g. no obstacales to see their mast (I think it is at the council offices on the trim road). Still, signal was fine but still got a lot of interference and had too many problems with them, so got rid of it!

Cheeurs for the link... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

There is a piece of software out there called Onspeed which will speed up your dial up modem connection and behave like a broadband connection to the Internet (speed varies, but on of the techies at work get usually 3-4 times the speed of modem). There have been several claims to do this over the years, but*nothing's ever been proven to do it. However, Onspeed has nine patents for it's technology and I think they're about compression and the like...in any case it works. It costs €40 for a years subsription and can be gotten at <http://www.onspeed.com&gt;

Eircom also have an offer at the moment .. free isdn connection before the 21st of January which is charged at your normal flat rate.

Still not good enough to play deathmatch in Call of Duty but hey - :D

Yep i agree.

Give this Tarawan a shout,they are very very helpful

Don't bother with that 'make your dialup connection as fast as broadband' crap that AlisonB is promoting, IT DOESN'T WORK. The only thing that can make your dial up connection significantly faster is to get it upgraded to DSL!

hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

eth0_ wrote:
    Don't bother with that 'make your dialup connection as fast as broadband' crap that AlisonB is promoting, IT DOESN'T WORK. The only thing that can make your dial up connection significantly faster is to get it upgraded to DSL!

eth0 this advise comes from a network technician working in meath who has years experience working with DSL over in the states. I'm sure he'd have no problem discussing it with you if you want me to pass you on his contact details.Anyway, Local Authorities in the North East have recently advertised for a Broadband Co-ordinator in the Meath Kildare areas. I'm not sure when the closing date is but it's limited to employees in those local authorities. At least they are working on it, however i do reckon this post should have been filled over a year ago.

Advertisement