Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC keeps resetting itself... help please!

Options
  • 16-01-2005 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

I just got one of the 250GB drives from Aldi and have encountered some problems, first off my board's about 4 years old so it only sees the drive as 130GB... doh! though i suspect that i may be able to fix this by updating the bios (it's a gigabyte board) and now the second, and far more frustrating problem is that the machine keeps resetting itself, i've tried several different OS but to no avail, i thought it may have been the USB devices using up too much juice so i disabled them and it still happens (i think the PSU is only 200 w, not certain though)

I was thinking that it may be a virus as when i was setting up the new drive i went online to download AVG free to protect the machine but i may have unkowningly contracted a boot sector virus, the thing is that when i ran AVG it detected viruses in the windows and system32 directories, but i don't know if they're boot sector or not!

I was thinking of maybe putting my old clean drive in as the primary master and scanning the new drive, that may work...

If anyone has come across anything like this before then it would be much appreciated if you could share your knowledge.

Thanks

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I seriously doubt a BIOS patch will fix the LBA issue, I've got a similar aged amchine, and we're stuck with a 24-bit LBA controller, instead of a 48-bit one.
    Which means the 137GB limit is pretty much hard-coded.
    Your best bet would be to get a PCI add-in IDE controller (with a 48-bit LBA) and try that.
    A BIOS upgrade might fix any recognition difficulties, but won't get the drive working on its own.

I'd wager that your second problem is caused by your PSU.

USB devices draw sod-all power (500mA per root port).
    What are the other specs of your machine?
    How many hard drives do you have?
    What is the brand of your PSU?
    You could pick up a 300W Antec or something, probably overkill, but would supply plenty of juice.
    Stay away from Q-Tec.

Afaik, AVG does a boot-second, and memory scan before it scans anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

make sure you have service pack 1 installed, but if that doesn't rectify the LBA issue then its your controller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

as SyxPak said the rebooting issue is probably a psu issue, new psu will fix that

Advertisement