Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build up to the next Arsenal Utd game begins.

• 16-01-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Exclusive: Arsenal still owe me apology over Old Trafford food fracas, claims furious Ferguson

United manager labels Wenger 'a disgrace' as he breaks silence over what happened in tunnel

By Glenn Moore
    15 January 2005

With less than three weeks to go before his side visit Highbury, Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday reopened the controversy surrounding Manchester United's victory over Arsenal at Old Trafford in October, and the infamous "food fight" which followed it in the Old Trafford tunnel.

In an exclusive interview with The Independent, Ferguson spoke in detail about the incidents for the first time. He described the behaviour of Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, as a "disgrace" and the refusal of the Arsenal board to apologise as a disappointment.

Ferguson also wanted to "set the record straight" about the match. He said Wenger's suggestion that Arsenal's unbeaten run came to an end only because his team had been "kicked off the pitch" was completely inaccurate. Ferguson said that not only were Arsenal the aggressors on the pitch, they were also responsible for the subsequent tunnel row which left Ferguson with pizza and soup stains on his shirt.

Ferguson told me: "In the tunnel he [Wenger] was publicly criticising my players, calling them cheats. I was told about this when they came into the dressing-room, so I went out into the tunnel and said to him: 'You get in there and behave yourself, leave my players alone'.

"He came sprinting towards me with his hands raised saying: 'What do you want to do about it?' He was standing right there. To not apologise for the behaviour of the players to another manager is unthinkable. It is a disgrace. But I don't expect Wenger to ever apologise."

Ferguson said the clubs then agreed, at boardroom level, not to discuss the incident but Arsenal reneged on the deal. "In the boardroom David Gill [United's chief executive] and David Dein [Arsenal's vice-chairman] agreed nothing would be said by either club," Ferguson said. "Then in the ensuing weeks all you got was a diatribe from Arsenal about being kicked off the pitch and all that nonsense. David Gill phoned David Dein three times to complain about this but nothing was done.

"Now the return is coming round [1 February] and they will come out with another diatribe. David Gill and I feel we should set the record right. I don't expect Wenger ever to apologise for anything - he's that type of person - but I would have expected Arsenal Football Club to have written to David Gill apologising for their players' behaviour. David Gill, without question, would not have allowed that to happen at Manchester United, and neither would I."

As well as being angered at the general acceptance of Arsenal's version of events surrounding the "food fight", Ferguson is equally concerned at the prevailing view of the match itself. Ferguson has been carefully through the tape. He admits Ruud van Nistelrooy's foul on Ashley Cole, for which he incurred a three-match ban, was reprehensible but said there was an equally dangerous foul by Thierry Henry on Gabriel Heinze that went unpunished. In the game as a whole Arsenal committed more fouls than United.

"The great thing about television is we can go through the video," Ferguson said. "If you look at the overall picture of the game, they had more bookings than us, more fouls than us, and in my opinion the worst fouls in the game. [Jose Antonio] Reyes has complained he was kicked off the pitch. There were four fouls on Reyes, one from Wayne Rooney, one from Phil Neville and two from Gary Neville.

"Four fouls in the whole match - that hardly constitutes being 'kicked off the pitch'. There were six fouls on [Cristiano] Ronaldo and one of the worst was from Reyes. Patrick Vieira did six fouls before the one he was booked for, a cynical one on Ryan Giggs in the second half. To say the least that is stretching the referee's tolerance. He's the captain. He almost refereed the game that day, or tried to."

Ferguson added: "Wenger's quote on the morning of the game: 'I can't promise my players will behave themselves', was a terrible message in relation to what happened the previous year. In the opening 45 seconds Cole has gone out and done Ronaldo. I'm not complaining. Football is a competitive game. Great forwards like Ronaldo always get tackled. But that set the benchmark. The referee [Mike Riley] could easily have booked Cole after 45 seconds but what would that have done to the game? The referee tried his very best to have control and allow the game to flow, which is great credit to him.

"Van Nistelrooy could have damaged Ashley Cole with that tackle. He could have given him a serious injury and he knows that. Ruud could'nt believe it when he saw it on video. He's not that kind of player. Neither would you say Henry was the type to be violent but he could have seriously injured Gabriel Heinze when he kneed him in the head. We reported that but the FA said, 'It is more than 48 hours after the game, we can't do anything'.

"Far be it from us being supposed to have kicked Arsenal off the pitch. Yet Wenger is always complaining the match was not played in the right spirit. They are the worst losers of all time. They don't know how to lose. Maybe it is just Manchester United. They don't lose many games to other teams."

Maybe not, but Ferguson's comments echo those made by Sir Bobby Robson after Arsenal lost at home to Newcastle three seasons ago, a match which concluded with Henry confronting the referee Graham Poll on the pitch. Henry was later banned for three matches.

Ferguson added: "We tend to forget that the worst disciplinary record of all time was Arsenal's up until last season. Everybody hoped that the watershed for them would be that game at Old Trafford when Van Nistelrooy was attacked by their players.

"In fairness to them it has improved. They had been up to all sorts, manhandling referees, spitting at players. Yet they are now seen as paragons of virtue. To Wenger it never happens, it is all some dream or nightmare. People forget he was done for manhandling a referee [fourth official Paul Taylor in August 2000]. He got a 12-match suspension [and fine of four weeks' wages] wiped out to a [£10,000] fine [on appeal, the charge having been downgraded].

"I'm not saying this to wind the game up," concluded Ferguson. "I'm saying this to protect my club before we go to Highbury for a crucial match. It's important to put the facts right. Whoever gets to referee the game has got a mammoth job on and I don't want him going into it with the wrong impression of what really happened at Old Trafford."

As for the match itself, given an even playing field Ferguson, who takes his team to Liverpool today, is confident. "It is a must-win game, but I never feel threatened by Arsenal. I know we can handle them."

'That youthfulness, that great optimism you have as a young person. You can't see danger. Sometimes with Jose Mourinho I think of myself as a young man'

Its probably wise not to make any comments on the article as it will only end up in hassle but its a good read IMO .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He is saying it to stir up more **** tbh.

And the response from wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger angrily responded to Sir Alex Ferguson's jibe that he did not expect him ``to ever apologise'' for his players' behaviour following the infamous food fight at Old Trafford.

Speaking after the 1-0 defeat at Bolton, Wenger said: ``I have always been consistent with that story and told you nothing happened in the corridor.

``One thing is very simple. I will never answer any question any more about this man (Ferguson).

``If he has to talk, he talks.

``If he wants to make a newspaper article, he makes a newspaper article.

``He doesn't interest me and doesn't matter to me at all.

``I will never answer to any provocation from him any more.''

Ferguson told The Independent: ``In the tunnel he [Wenger] was publicly criticising my players, calling them cheats.

``I was told about this when they came into the dressing-room, so I went out into the tunnel and said to him: `You get in there and behave yourself, leave my players alone'.

``He came sprinting towards me with his hands raised saying: 'What do you want to do about it?' He was standing right there.

``To not apologise for the behaviour of the players to another manager is unthinkable. It is a disgrace. But I don't expect Wenger to ever apologise.''

Wenger refused to say whether he raised his hands but added: ``He does what he does in England anyway. Go abroad one day and see how it is.''

Why cant sleeping dogs lie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

wenger's snapped, 1-0 fergie. the pressures getting to wenger now that his side have lost the formidable form they had last season.

smemon wrote:
    wenger's snapped, 1-0 fergie. the pressures getting to wenger now that his side have lost the formidable form they had last season.

SO why is it 1-0 to fergie...... is it because he doenst want to talk about something that happened THREE months ago... well to me thats just being realistic and wanting to get on with the present

I presume the interview took place before yesterdays games so realisticly fergie is just trying to stir up **** so he can hope to get 2nd place in the league.

Bit sad really IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I'm sick to death of both them frankly. Perhaps they need a change of nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lock this thread NOW! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

*click safety off

OK any bull on this thread and I will ban people. I will leave it open for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

its going to be a massive match. a draw will probably end it for both teams, so we should see both really going for it. cant wait! what date and time is it on, need to get off work for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

"Im not saying this to wind the game up" - Of course Alex.

Whether he is right on his criticisms of Wenger or not, he is hardly unbiased in his views.

Wengers retort was excellent. There is no point (for him or his team) in sinking to mudsliging.

I wonder when both leave their respective clubs could they ever be friends? I would have thought so before but after reading this Im not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

they are like children crabbing at each other all i care about is what happens on the pitch the rest is meaningless, how can i be expected to take stick over 2 adults whinging at each other, controversy on the pitch i can take like the spurs game (bad example) or losing a game does anyone really care what they say? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

smemon wrote:

Who cares! more childish crap from the loony Ferguson

they are only playing for second place anyway, they seem so interested in annoying each other that they have forgotten that Chelsea have it in the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think the mind games or whatever they are have gone too far. We are a month away from the match and they are already at one anothers throats, As we have seen here in the past that mamifests as bad feeling between the supporters and I genuinely fear that if something is not done to defuse the bad feeling beween thes clubs something dreadfully serious is going to happen around one of these games.

I'm all for banter between rival fans as it adds to the atmopsphere
    but I do fear the relationship between these two teams and their supporters has deteriorated to an extent that it is dangerous. The Man U arsenal fixture is one that does not need the mindgames and I hope someone puts a stop to it before it is too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I am having a bit of trouble seeing how they are at each others throats. Fergusson brought up an event that occurred three months ago. ( Some may see pathetically ) And Wenger refused to talk about it.

Harry2001 - Agreed.

Well tbh its the tabloids that are fueling this with their "BATTLE OF OLD TRAFFORD" or "HIGH NOON AT HIGHBURY" or whatever else goes on. TBH I do not care who wins the league at this stage as long as its not Chelsea.

As Harry2001 says this is nearly tantamount to Utd and Arsenal handing Morinhno the League !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

pfft, you guys are no fun.
    Wait till after the game, see if you are that subdued :)

That article left something out, fergie was provoked, but by what I can't remember.

Its not handing Chelsea the league by building up a big game, because it is a big game, a possible decider for the premiership.
    If fergie succedds in making it a huge match, chelsea will remain under pressure to preform because they know united and arsenal want to win it.
    More pressure = good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it seems to me fergie is drip-feeding the whole incident at old trafford to the media to try and wind wenger up. obviously wenger doesnt want any off-the field headaches and extra coverage so he's trying to shut the mind games down in order to focus all his attention on the field.

perhaps the 'fight fire with fire' approach wenger has taken against fergie for so many years has finally backfired on him and he's given in to fergie by basically saying he doesnt want to play with him anymore.

I am having a bit of trouble seeing how they are at each others throats. Fergusson brought up an event that occurred three months ago. ( Some may see pathetically ) And Wenger refused to talk about it.

Harry2001 - Agreed.

Well acording to the above report they nearly came to blows in the tunnel at OT, Thats what I meant by at each others throats .

BBC just showed tomorrows headlines,

Wenger is calling for Fergie to get a disrepute charge :)
    Fighting fire with fire :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Wenger is calling for Fergie to get a disrepute charge :)
    Rightly so I think. Wenger has tried to end this baby talk by not responding. Personally I dont think its doing either of the two teams any favours.

Ah hell maybe we should have them face off like Spock and Kirk in that Star Trek episode with the funky music in the background. You all know the one....errrmm /me gets his coat !!!

gandalf wrote:
    Ah hell maybe we should have them face off like Spock and Kirk in that Star Trek episode with the funky music in the background. You all know the one....errrmm /me gets his coat !!!

I'd pay to see that the govern shipyard worker with the deadly right foot {ask Beckham} versus the Nancy football manager. There could only be one winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Sorry but I cannot see what Fergie said that could constitute "bringing the game into disrepute"
    I hope Fergie is brought up on a disrepute charge though then he can prove what he is saying happened by admitting the video evidence of the tunnel incident as proof. :D Note in all the remarks by Wenger he doesn't deny anything said. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

It's all mind games. It's like fencing. Fergie is going on the attack at the moment, and Wenger has used an effective blocking strategy with the "I don't care" comment. Personally I'm a bit tired of it all, but it's the way Fergie works. The thing is, Wenger says he won't go on about it etc, but remember in the immediate aftemath of the game at OT he said the same, yet was going on about it for about a week. I wouldn't bet against seeing him going on about it again in the coming weeks.

The other thing is, I think Fergie has a pretty good sense of humour. I can see him chuckling away to himself as he reads Wenger's comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

``I will never answer to any provocation from him any more.''

I really wish he meant that but I think Ferguson winds him too much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mourinho must laugh when he sees things like this

Wenger and Ferguson should cop the **** on

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The other thing is, I think Fergie has a pretty good sense of humour. I can see him chuckling away to himself as he reads Wenger's comments.
    Spot on, he won't let any of it effect him. Sure remember after the match at Old Trafford when asked about the penalty Fergie said "It he is challenged in the box and doesn't get the ball then it is a penalty" and then gave a smile. It was more or less a wind up aimed at Wenger. Wenger went off mouthing to the papers for weeks afterwards. Which probably took Arsenal off the ball completely and they haven't really recovered since.

I'd say that is what Fergie is up to this time around too. And why not? If it works then a disrepute charge will mean nothing to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Hahahahahaha. I'm sure Fergie is crying himself to sleep at night with the memory of Wenger throwing a couple of harsh words at him in the tunnel and not apologising. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Blah blah de ****ing blah, I wish Ferguson, Wenger and you lot would all shut the **** up.

mr_angry wrote:
    Hahahahahaha. I'm sure Fergie is crying himself to sleep at night with the memory of Wenger throwing a couple of harsh words at him in the tunnel and not apologising. :rolleyes:
    Doubtful.

It's obviously mind games in the build up to the match at Highbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Blah blah de ****ing blah, I wish Ferguson, Wenger and you lot would all shut the **** up.
    So why do you read this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So why do you read this thread?

Because I hate myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm with TwoSheds, I have a pain in my arse listening to these two constantly having a pop.

They're both childish, and the sooner they realise that football is bigger than their little spat the better.

Its not a spat. It is obviously mindgames. Fergie is just trying to wind Wenger up again for the match next month. Ferguson isn't stupid, why else would he try and have a little feud with him months after the match and when United are on form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Its not a spat. It is obviously mindgames.

Mindgames schmindgames.

Why the hell can't they employ their remarkable motivational skills in the dressing room instead of on the back pages of the gutter press?

Hands up who doesn't think this will end in tears when the sides meet? Other than ManYoo and Gooner fans who can't stand each other, who thinks this adds to the quality of the football?

One of the top matches of the season, and what will we have to look forward to? Niggly tackles, diving, and the rest.

Its childish, and they're both better men than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i think they should both become members of boards so we cold send them to the thunderdome!!! now thats what i would like to see!!! arsenal are going through the same patch that united went through at the start of the season but they seem to be suffering that bit more!!!

We need to introduce video replays as quickly as possible," said Wenger.

"If you take the example of Manchester United, they would be in mid-table now if officials had the benefit of video replays."

Oh this is gettting fun :)

• Advertisement

Or boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PHB wrote:
    We need to introduce video replays as quickly as possible," said Wenger.

"If you take the example of Manchester United, they would be in mid-table now if officials had the benefit of video replays."

Where would Arsenal be??? with Pires jumping on the ground every time anyone gets near here??? Pompey last season!! Chelsea this season is the only 2 I can remember!! bit of a stupid statement!!

Also it means that most teams in the league would be in differnet position....I think the Sun did up this kind of table after the Spurs game and it was funny to see how different the table looks!

with Pires jumping on the ground every time anyone gets near here??? Pompey last season!! ...

I can see it now....40 years from now when Pires passes away gently in his sleep...all he will be remembered for is THAT dive vs portsmouth....

Personally ill remember him for that goal vs villa..but then again im an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

well it was a bad dive jank. ill also remember vieira for that one against liverpool. that was probably one of the worst ive seen, up their with rivaldo at wc 2002.

the strange thing is, it looks to have wound wenger up this time, didnt expect that to ever happen really. he always seemed a bit above it in the past, but then again, I reckon the two of them are a bit scared of Jose Mourinho, now he must really be loving this.

the two lads are just givin Jose all the motivational material he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Draupnir wrote:
    the strange thing is, it looks to have wound wenger up this time, didnt expect that to ever happen really. he always seemed a bit above it in the past, but then again, I reckon the two of them are a bit scared of Jose Mourinho, now he must really be loving this.

the two lads are just givin Jose all the motivational material he needs.
    Mourinho and Fergie have had a drink together after both the Chelsea-Man U matches this season. Maybe Wenger is getting worried. :)

BTW, I'd say Pires has quit his antics since the abuse he got in Stade the France. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement