Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness

Options
  • 16-01-2005 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello All,

I am planning to to the PADI open water course in Gran Carania in May. I have two questions: 1) Has anyone every dived there before and 2) What level of fitness is required?

I swim twice a week and go to the gym 3 times a week.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Open water requires 200m swin and then a 10minute threading water.

You sound a hell of a lot fitter than i was when i went Open Water.

Haven't dived Gran canaria.

OW isn't a hard course, its mainly about getting skills in place and getting you used to the gear etc etc... relax and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

Ok peace,

My flutter kick for the freestlye stroke is awful because of cramps that I only get when doing that stroke. Is that likely to be a problem

You can do any stroke you want. Breast, butterfly, front crawl, back crawl.

You can also alternate, i think i did about 140m front crawl and then finished it breast stroke because i was getting tired.

Once you do 200m the instructor will tick the box and move on. :)

You might find cramps a problem if you are finning, and as i recall there is a 100m tired diver tow... (maybe further) and its a bit tough, depending on conditions. But with time comes finning technique and stamina. Keep up the swimming and you'll be fitter than most students they see through their doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Hey Kenny where in Gran Canaria are you going? i.e. what dive centre? I did my divemaster there this year. The boat diving is excellent there. You'll be fed up of stingrays by the time you leave and the visibility is amazing. I wouldn't worry too much about fitness. Once you can swim the distance (any stroke) you'll be fine. I don't think there's much time constraints on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Cramp? Banana is yer only man! (Potasium - apparently) Had to swim 25Om to qualify for diving - Its nothing ffs! )

(Was BSAC qualified any -still not (hrmm) migrated outhere?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Peace wrote:
    You can do any stroke you want. Breast, butterfly, front crawl, back crawl.

You can also alternate, i think i did about 140m front crawl and then finished !

Not to mention that you can do it at your own pace - it's not a race, despite what the other learners might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Isn't the tired diver tow part of the Rescue Diver course? The 200m swim is easy and banana will help with the cramps, you might also need to introduce a little salt into your diet.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Isn't the tired diver tow part of the Rescue Diver course? The 200m swim is easy and banana will help with the cramps

There is defo a tired diver on the open water. Its repeated in the Rescue Diver alright.

I remember because i had to tow MickL a fair distance against the current on my open water.... and he ain't small.

Kenny11, try to buddy up with the pretty 4"9 blonde if possible... some of the exercises become a lot easier and enjoyable ;)!!1one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I didn't do a tired diver tow. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

Donny,

I am going to Davy Jones Diving, any info. on them?

BTW, I swim 3/4 of a mile twice a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I'm afraid I don't have any info on them. I did my divemaster with http://www.blue-explorers.com Can't recommend them highly enough. They do pickup from Playa in the mornings if thats where you're staying.

If you can swim that you're a much much better swimmer than I am. You won't have any problems.

When you say you get cramps with flutter kick.. I assume that this is without fins? Its a different stroke really with fins on. Much slower and cramp shouldn't be an issue. If you do find yourself getting cramp, make sure you're well hydrated, try taking bananas and of course make sure you're using fins that are the right size.

The flutter kick isn't the only kick you need to use by the way. I use a frog kick 90% of the time I'd say when I'm diving so don't get too worried about it and enjoy the diving :)

kenny11 wrote:
    BTW, I swim 3/4 of a mile twice a week

Holy crap!!!! You should be going to the olypics!

If you're swimmingthat much, OW will be a breeze for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Used to get cramps when I was starting out with the diving. Someone neglected to tell me that fins are not supposed to be tightly strapped on - I was worried about loosing them :-)

Also, I did my courses as a smoker, drinker and non-exerciser (I've since reformed my wicked ways). Your fitness shouldn't be a big issue

Advertisement