Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's Ripwave been?

• 16-01-2005 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I'm in the process of ordering a new laptop for school. Broadband in our gaff in Dublin would be handy, so we're looking at options. Obviously price is a major factor.

Ripwave looks like a great deal on the website, but I've been reading a spate of horror stories about it here. How's it been lately?

Would it suit 4 students (with 2 laptops) on a budget? For the record, we live in Dundrum, opposite the Mental Hospital!

Oh yeah, and does it provide a wireless network in the house? Or is that up to us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Ripwave has been good to me until recently. Even though you were only meant to use it on one computer i had it set up through a network on 3 computers. Everything was grand until a few weeks ago until the internet stopped working on all but the main server. I was thinking it cudn't be the signel or anything because its working on one computer. So for ages i was trying to figure out why it wasn't working on the other 2 computers, i was setting up the network again, doing everything i could think of. Finally i realised that ripwave have cut back their service so they are only giving out 1 IP address meaning it won't work on a network and so thats why it wasn't working on my computers.
    At least i found out what the problem was but it sucks now!
    Hope that helped ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

But couldnt you hook it it to a wired or wireless router?Or a simple hub via cat5 cable to the other computers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ripwave for me has been.........OK i suppose but i found it works best at weekends and at night after midnight, espicially for me.
    Here are my stats for weekdays 6am-6pm
    Speed between 3kbps-34kbps
    Download speeds between 0.3kbps-3.12kbps
    I understand that during these hours the bandwidth is given to buisness's

Weekdays 6pm-6am
    Speed between 4kbps-145kbps
    Download speeds between 1.4kbps- 11.4

Weekends(I got best results during weekends)
    Speed 36kbps-337kbps
    Download speeds between 11.kbps-57.3kbps

The download speed of 57.3kbps i got at 3am on a sunday morning last weekend

My modem light is always amber and the 3rock transmitter(246) is 7000meters away from me( i get bad bandwidth with this one) and the RTE transmitter(120) is 2000 meters away from me (wow full pelt bandwidth with this one)

Anyway these are my results of what my service is like.
    BTW im in the Dublin6w area between Harolds cross and Terenure.

In Navini Diag. press Ctrl. Shift and F10 to get more options(incase you did'nt know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Ripwave for me has been.........OK i suppose but i found it works best at weekends and at night after midnight, espicially for me.
    Here are my stats for weekdays 6am-6pm
    Speed between 3kbps-34kbps
    Download speeds between 0.3kbps-3.12kbps
    I understand that during these hours the bandwidth is given to buisness's

Weekdays 6pm-6am
    Speed between 4kbps-145kbps
    Download speeds between 1.4kbps- 11.4

Weekends(I got best results during weekends)
    Speed 36kbps-337kbps
    Download speeds between 11.kbps-57.3kbps

The download speed of 57.3kbps i got at 3am on a sunday morning last weekend

My modem light is always amber and the 3rock transmitter(246) is 7000meters away from me( i get bad bandwidth with this one) and the RTE transmitter(120) is 2000 meters away from me (wow full pelt bandwidth with this one)

Anyway these are my results of what my service is like.
    BTW im in the Dublin6w area between Harolds cross and Terenure.

In Navini Diag. press Ctrl. Shift and F10 to get more options(incase you did'nt know)

That is awful!! Your highest speed during the week seems to be 145kbps which works out at 18.12KBps that is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well im thinking of getting there Breeze 1mb lite service What do you think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Gah, Nothing's available where I'm living, three miles from Galway city. No Cable, no Wireless, not DSL. And I ain't getting Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

I hear the 1mb service is much better, know some1 who went from the really awful ripwave to it & they said it's working well since, it was close to 50 a month so whichever one that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I have Ripwave in D 15 (can see the aerial from my house) since Oct, and I have found that it is getting really slow in the last while... dunno why.
    Am starting to get a bit annoyed with it now, as things are taking a bit too long to load for 30 yoyos a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

I'm probably about to jinx myself but it's been super for me lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well im thinking of getting there Breeze 1mb lite service What do you think of it.

Its great i get download speeds of 124K and it seems to up load even faster. Game pings a great as well though I can see the D15 ariel from my window im anout 800 meters from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Two students in a house so all we're looking for is the ability for an always an connection to check e-mail, college boards, train times, etc, and read the websites we look at regularly!

Apart from that, we wouldn't be downloading songs and stuff until after ten, so maybe Ripwave would suit me?

Price is a big factor alright. You can see the RTE antenna from my gaff, so I dunno!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sunday morning (16th) was great - aside from that it's been bollocks for a couple of weeks.

Always dropping out and constantly low speeds. Haven't been able to Xbox live in well over a week.

I'm in the middle of Blackrock so you'd think one of the other b@stard providers would be available but nooooooooooooooooooo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ripwave has been a lot better for me recently after a lot of teething problems. I'm connecting to 3 rock although it's over 10k away. Apparently if you're high up anywhere in Dublin you have a better chance of connecting to 3 rock than anywhere else. It was crap a while back because that base station was overloaded. However users were taken off it and it's performing well. Another base station is being erected nearby.

I'm confident that if you download too much, you are throttled to below 56k speeds. If I've been done some heavy downloading, afterwards just surfing the web becomes painfully slow. With I-speeder, you can see that it's not the signal that's going wrong.

I'm going to stick with it until I can get NTL. The Breeze service is supposed to be the business though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ripwave has been a lot better for me recently after a lot of teething problems. I'm connecting to 3 rock although it's over 10k away. Apparently if you're high up anywhere in Dublin you have a better chance of connecting to 3 rock than anywhere else. It was crap a while back because that base station was overloaded. However users were taken off it and it's performing well. Another base station is being erected nearby.

I'm confident that if you download too much, you are throttled to below 56k speeds. If I've been done some heavy downloading, afterwards just surfing the web becomes painfully slow. With I-speeder, you can see that it's not the signal that's going wrong.

I'm going to stick with it until I can get NTL. The Breeze service is supposed to be the business though.

Advertisement