Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity The Best???

Options
  • 16-01-2005 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey ppl!! o.k i need a bit of advice, im a 6th year :( and ive alredy sent away my cao with trinity 1st choice! but i just wanna know if its all its cracked up to be??? :confused: like how is it 4 goin out? :p i wanna do social science so if anyone is doing that let me know how its goin plllllz!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

hey ppl!!

Hello there.
    but i just wanna know if its all its cracked up to be???

Depends on what your expectations are really. Its certainly dropped its elitest reputation over the last year or two, if you ask me. Doesn't detract from the place in the slightest. Its all its cracked up to be for me anyway.
    like how is it 4 goin out?

Fab! Class sizes are usually small so making friends is no biggie. Lots of clubs ans societies too.
    i wanna do social science so if anyone is doing that let me know how its goin plllllz!! :)

Whats the course code? Is it social science on its own you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

For me the best things about tcd is it's location and it's physics degree's reputation. Having never attended another university it's hard to compare about social live's etc, though I will say these have been some of my best years. I hear DCU is good craic also. It was also voted one of the best unis in the country there recently. I've friends who go to maynooth, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

UCD is cool. Not sure about Trinity. I would avoid DCU, Maynooth, DIT.

"Belfield IT" is a factory

nuff sed ;)

EDIT: actually not enuff sed, DCU beat UCD by two places in the irish third-level rankings last year. So no.. I wouldn't avoid it

ApeXaviour wrote:
    "Belfield IT" ...

...AKA suburban polytechnic of Dublin south
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Go where the best course is and forget everything else. Your social life is what you make it not what the college makes it. Every college has its downside or issues.

Rew wrote:
    Every college has its downside or issue.

Man, if you used this forum as a reflection of TCD as a whole, you'd think it was the Jerry Springer institute of fukkedupdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

What's Social Science, anyway? I'd advise instinctively against taking anything with Science in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

any body who says that one university is empirically better than the other is speaking thru their aerse.

It depends very much on what type of person you are , will be (unless you've a crystall ball this is difficult to determine) and specifically what course you are doing and what you want to do with it.

If you are under the the impression Irish employers say things like " Well this girl has a social science degree from Trinity so she's a better candidate then this girl from UCD", you are mistaken.

Reasons for choosing colleges/universities in my opinion,

Course Specifics
    Culture of Whole College
    Non academic facilities.

Reasons for choosing colleges/universities in my opinion...

Course Specifics - e.g. how many good looking members of the opposite sex are there in it?
    Location - near the dort....I mean Dart station
    Athmosphere of classes - ranges from arctic sub-zero temps in the hamilton and arts block to thermo-nuclear in the Aras an Phiarsaigh
    Culture of Whole College - highly bacterial, some fungal present also.
    Non academic facilities - beds for shagging in, bars for drinking in, toilets for **** in and the GMB for talking $hite in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

" Well this girl has a social science degree from Trinity so she's a better candidate then this girl from UCD", you are mistaken.

My brother did Marketing in DIT but his degree is from Trinity, either way it never made a diferance to him. Only thing that got him a good job was bloody hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Evilution wrote:
    Course Specifics - e.g. how many good looking members of the opposite sex are there in it?
    Location - near the dort....I mean Dart station
    Athmosphere of classes - ranges from arctic sub-zero temps in the hamilton and arts block to thermo-nuclear in the Aras an Phiarsaigh
    Culture of Whole College - highly bacterial, some fungal present also.
    Non academic facilities - beds for shagging in, bars for drinking in, toilets for **** in and the GMB for talking $hite in.
    you forgot one thing about atmosphere of classes, mainly can you smell the HamCaf while in there.

crash_000 wrote:
    you forgot one thing about atmosphere of classes, mainly can you smell the HamCaf while in there.

Dammit, knew I forgot something.
    Is there anything else we're leaving out?

Sporting facilities - rugger buggers mauling each other in the cold at 7pm in the evening.
    Dining facilities - meals on wheels, of a kind, in the same way roadkill is.
    Outstanding lecturer/pupil relationships - "hello sir, can you help me with something?" "no, fukk off and talk to your tutor, you fresher bollix".
    Ease of access - yes, after crossing 3 of the arguably busiest roads in dublin.
    World class library facilities - replete with the smell and sound of our D4 friends throughout.

Ease of access - yes, after crossing 3 of the arguably busiest roads in dublin.

Hit the nail on the head there 'ution. i really hate actually coming into college from my bus stop. I think if I came in to college every day for the next 2 years, i think there is a significant chance i will be hit. that's why i limit by entry to college. for my health's sake. i do love the central location of trinity. it's like a little oasis of solitude in a big dirty hole of a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

I'm one of the few who've experienced BOTH as an undergrad. In one year. I can safely and informedly say that trinity is SO much better! classes are smaller, lecturers/tutors/TAs/staff in general are SO much nicer. And city centre campus? perfect!

I think if I came in to college every day for the next 2 years, i think there is a significant chance i will be hit

Yeah, probably by one of those loop'ers that drive those newspaper-carrying motorcycles. I've had a few close calls with them boys. And people who ride their mopeds around the campus at high speed too, in the morning, on wet slippy flagstones...
    i do love the central location of trinity. it's like a little oasis of solitude in a big dirty hole of a town.

Yeah, totally. Yanno whats best - when you walk through the main arch in the morning and all the noise from the city just quells and dies away. Fukkin' poetry, that :D

what you've been in one college for a few months/weeks and then swapped to trinity and now you're an expert? good for you.

what you've been in one college for a few months/weeks and then swapped to trinity and now you're an expert? good for you.
    Who said anything about expert? All i know is that the Trinity staff were SO helpful to me whereas in UCD everyone had just been very "it's not my job now fúck off and I won't tell you who's job it is". And also, the students are much friendlier, and there's little to none anonymity - more than can be said for oul' BIT

Dude, I was in Carlow IT for 2 years. In my 3rd year in TCD (as you bloody well know). Never said I was an expert!

Plunky wrote:
    in UCD everyone had just been very "it's not my job now fúck off and I won't tell you who's job it is"

I think they call this 'preparing you for the real world' ;)

• Advertisement

Evilution, my previous post was in regard to plunky not you. Sorry Plunky i didn't mean to sound so antagonistic earlier but ... ah doesn't matter

No worries, i didn't take offense, was just trying to clarify my position!

...antagonistic..

There's that word again :(

Want me to get the thesaurus out?

lol did u get my subtle implication there evil.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Want me to get the thesaurus out?

Nah, you probably need it to sit on to see the PC screen, child.

lol did u get my subtle implication there evil.

No. Was it subliminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

it's like a little oasis of solitude in a big dirty hole of a town.

LOL, my thoughts exactly. Nothing like the peace and quiet of walking through campus on a Monday morning when there's traffic and pollution and scummers and D4 muppet businesspeople out on the streets.

Pet wrote:
    when there's traffic and pollution and scummers and D4 muppet businesspeople out on the streets.

You can find some of the above on the campus too, if you look hard enough.
    Traffic along the GMB - its like a motorway during graduation week
    Pollution in the buttery food.
    Scummers traipsing around the arts block looking for things to steal.
    And businesspeople in the buttery getting cheap coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Evilution wrote:
    You can find some of the above on the campus too, if you look hard enough.
    Traffic along the GMB - its like a motorway during graduation week
    Pollution in the buttery food.
    Scummers traipsing around the arts block looking for things to steal.
    And businesspeople in the buttery getting cheap coffee.
    Heh, never thought of it that way. I'm going to selectively forget that, so I can continue to make Trinity my little bubble. :D

Advertisement