Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hike Suggestions

• 16-01-2005 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I'm lookin for a suggested hike route.(Wiclow/greater Dublin)
    Has to be on a public transport route, prefably little or no public roads involved. Bringing group of 15 children, 11-15 year olds, no experience, basic fitness. I recon 2/3 hours with a break or 2 and easy escape route if weather gets crappy or kids r too unfit.

All USEFULL routes appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I would suggest the white route on teh boardwalk around the upper lake in Glendalough.

You can get the St Kevin's bus most of the way there. The route is signposted, doable in basic gear (like runners) and has good views. 2-3 hours should be enough time (not sure about walking from Laragh though). Escape might be a problem, but apart from the elevated section running towards the spink it's sheltered and/or forest track. So even in bad weather you will not be in great trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Thanks
    I'd thought along those lines... but the bus service isnt very regular from what I can remember. Kids and waiting at bus stops... never a great combination!!

Good suggestion.. keep em comin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd recommend Glendo as well, there's some nice walks and if you get rained off the walk there is an information center there to entertain the kids. The St Kevins bus will leave you right at it.

http://www.glendalough.connect.ie/

I dont think I'd unleash these lovely children on Glendalough... they'd kill our tourist industry!!
    I checked out the bus timetable (thanks Phil), a bit too infrequent for my liking. I'm swayed towards Stepaside, up onto 3 rock and back in a large circle... It would give them a good view, and make them feel like they've climbed up high etc.
    but I dont like the idea of walking along the road to get them onto the tracks...very boring for firstimers. Unless anyone knows any tracks around there that are close to the bus route??
    Usually I'd bring older groups where I'd have transport to drop off/pick us up. Got roped into this one as a favour.

Moral of the story..say no to cute girls!! :-)

You could get the 44b to the Blue light and follow the paths from there. Its a very infrequent bus service though. I dunno about the other bus routes as the roads have all changed around Marley Park - somebody else might be able to give you pointers.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=44b

• Advertisement

Just to follow up on the Hike.
    Went by 44 bus to Stepaside, straight up tp 3 rock, over to the old rifle range, then a roundabout route back down. All alive and well...lots of happy faces.

Only downside was the amount of muppits out there on scrabler bikes.... anyone else encountered these morons??

I'm related to one of them. There's a big biker community in that neck of the woods, they're into off road racing and they mostly drink in the blue light. Personally I don't mind them and know they get more hassle than anyone else up there; I know of one girl who was pulled of her bike by a walker.

I've no problem with off roading (I prefer the 4 wheel type), even though they rip the guts out of the hills and speed up soil erosion.
    I had about 15 kids walkin, there was about 5 guys scrambling.. 4 stayed on the same circuit.... fair enough, but one came at the group and proceeded to speed only along the tracks the kids where on, trying to throw up mud at them, turning around and then going back along the same tracks... wherever they went he followed. So I ended up physically blocking the track untill the kids had gone a fair bit ahead, then I turned around and gave the mupit a good discription of how Id shove his bike where the sun dont shine. All good craic until they hit someone..no insurance etc.

Advertisement