Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

• 16-01-2005 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Quick question (for anyone who is ever in the college around 8.30am or 9am in the morning). Whenever I'm into college early and go into the Buttery for a coffee there are always bunches of, how could I say, professional looking people in there. I know some of them work in the college but I'm just curious about how many of them are actually scabby business people from the city who've come in for a cheap cup of coffee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

There are loads of people who do that apparently!!! There are government offices up on...some street off Nassau street, my uncle works there. Apparently they come down in droves for the cheap food! Talk about scabby cúnts! I mean, if YOU had a proper job, would YOU lower yourself to eating your lunch in the Buttery?!? Pack of mangy bastards if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't work and I don't lower myself to eat in the buttery. Saps.

You see loads of business-y peopel in suits in the Pav lashing down cans of bavaria too! Not in the morning though.

Have to go up to some of them and ask what the craic is one of these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

It's not as bad as a well-spoken class-mate of mine. We were walking by the buttery and he says he's gonna go get some lunch. I followed him "ah yeah, I've 2 euro" (thinkin I'd get some chips or somethin). He looked uncomfortable. I realised why when he started walking UP the steps..
    Off to the main restaurant to get his cord en bleu or something. A student I tell you! For lunch I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Dining Hall food at lunchtime is same price as Buttery, often the same menu (or a variation on it) too. The difference is more whether you are freaked out or quite thrilled by eating your lunch surrounded by Henricus Grattan and other notables of previous centuries.

Also, they have a smaller menu, cold water on tap, and nicer tables. And yes, there are chips :eek:

Plus, if you walk out of the Dining Hall, the portrait above the door watches you as you leave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

EduCat wrote:
    Dining Hall food at lunchtime is same price as Buttery,
    Is it!? oh right.. :o

/me owes somebody an apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Pet wrote:
    There are loads of people who do that apparently!!! There are government offices up on...some street off Nassau street...

I think its wicklow street.
    Scabby hoors alright. Most of 'em come in and get the free newspapers whenever there's a paper promotion day on too.

Evilution wrote:
    I think its wicklow street.
    Scabby hoors alright. Most of 'em come in and get the free newspapers whenever there's a paper promotion day on too.
    Ffs. Would I be right in thinking that the Buttery is subsidised by College/Government, and these guys are actually draining money from us?

Pet wrote:
    Ffs. Would I be right in thinking that the Buttery is subsidised by College/Government, and these guys are actually draining money from us?

Yes and no. I'm not sure if the buttery is subsidised though, but if they are then:

Bad - because they increase business in the buttery which in turn reduces the butterys need to be efficient. They loose some students that are unhappy but gain businessy types that are scabby.
    Good - in that they make the buttey use up all its budget so that it gets the same or more the next year. If they don't use all their budget then they get less the subsequent year. I'm not a bizz student so I'm not 100% on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

but now we know where the salt cellars in the buttery go. bastards.

• Advertisement

It was worse before the smoking ban. You'd arrive in in the morning and the place would be filled with fumes. I prefer sit in the bar part too, which was doubly annoying. Since that, its been ok. All I have to quibble about is the security guards talking through their hats and farting all the time (seriously!!!)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

crash_000 wrote:
    but now we know where the salt cellars in the buttery go. bastards.

i bring my own salt, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RevJamesFlynn

> Would I be right in thinking that the Buttery is subsidised by
    > College/Government, and these guys are actually draining money from us?

Would I be right in thinking that college students' fees are subsidised by the general taxpayer, and that students are actually draining money from the rest of us?

Those office workers are paying plenty of tax - don't begrudge them saving a Euro on a plate of chips and the occasional free newspaper for goodness sake! You might be the one saving the Euro yourself in a few years . . .

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

I'm just begrudging them a seat! Not the chips on their plates. My seat!! We're the ones who are actually students in Trinity, and they're the ones that are coming into our resteraunt.

What would it be like if we went into their office cafeteria and sat in their seats, took their papers and got in their way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

EduCat wrote:
    Dining Hall food at lunchtime is same price as Buttery, often the same menu (or a variation on it) too. The difference is more whether you are freaked out or quite thrilled by eating your lunch surrounded by Henricus Grattan and other notables of previous centuries.

Also, they have a smaller menu, cold water on tap, and nicer tables. And yes, there are chips :eek:

Plus, if you walk out of the Dining Hall, the portrait above the door watches you as you leave...

Hmm Daithi - maybe he was going up again to the 1592!

UncleT

Would I be right in thinking that college students' fees are subsidised by the general taxpayer, and that students are actually draining money from the rest of us?

Those office workers are paying plenty of tax - don't begrudge them saving a Euro on a plate of chips and the occasional free newspaper for goodness sake! You might be the one saving the Euro yourself in a few years . . .

James
    It's not that you're draining funds, so much as...WHY THE BUTTERY? I mean, have you any self-respect? Most of the students don't even eat there for god's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

James

this is all complete rubbish and i'm suprised no one else has pointed this out.

This is like going up to aras an uactarain and demanding that you eat in the presidents dining room because you are a tax payer. or like walking into your local primary school and demanding a carton of milk because you a tax payer.

actually the more i reread that stupid thread the more i think it's just a joke. anway. too late now.

or like walking into your local primary school and demanding a carton of milk because you a tax payer.

Why should those kids get chocolate milk anyways? Why I oughta...

Advertisement