Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief

Options
  • 16-01-2005 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

For those of you interested in this sort of thing....Thief III (Deadly Shadows) is on sale in Game for 14.99 at the moment. A highly recommended game and a steal (badumm-tish) at that price.

It makes up for the fact that I've cracked my Thief I disk and I can't find another one anywhere at the moment :(

The Thief series is the 'daddy' of stealth games and is a legacy of the fallen Looking Glass Studios. Thankfully Ion Storm have carried on the tradition and the third game in the series is class as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ah balls. you've just reminded me of another game that i've been meaning to start...

not sure whether i'll start beyond godd & evil or this...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Balls, you've just reminded me that BG&E is staring down at me from the shelf. ;)

OK BG&E, will get to you shortly....just one more level of Thief....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

i thought beyond g & e was a decent enough game but unbelievably short you will be doing well to get 8 to 10 hours out of it :(

8 - 10 hours is fine by me. A 1 year old little boy means I don't have a lot of time for gaming at the moment anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

he is 1 i dont miss the nappy days at all :D

• Advertisement

Ah the nappy days are the fun ones !

Just bought Thief Gold on ebay, happy days!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Can I just say to anyone reading this who hasn't bought it - buy it now. Its such a brilliant game it deserves your money. The Cradle level is probably one of the best ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Maximilian wrote:
    Can I just say to anyone reading this who hasn't bought it - buy it now. Its such a brilliant game it deserves your money. The Cradle level is probably one of the best ever made.
    Yes indeedio, freaky as hell.

And for anyone who is concerned about it not being a looking glass game, it's kept all of what's great about thief, it's still got the great atmosfere, excellent missions, and the humour-I even think there's a "plumsies" reference, as well as Garrett being one of the best characters out there. Great game, go buy it.

Yes indeedio, freaky as hell.

And for anyone who is concerned about it not being a looking glass game, it's kept all of what's great about thief, it's still got the great atmosfere, excellent missions, and the humour-I even think there's a "plumsies" reference, as well as Garrett being one of the best characters out there. Great game, go buy it.

Indeed, as soon as I started playing it I felt right at home. Ah, this really is 'Thief'! It was like Looking Glass were peeking over the shoulders of the guys in Ion Storm to make sure that things were right. The new 3rd person view that was berated by a lot of purists is actually quite handy in some parts of the game. I haven't got to the Cradle yet, but I've read a lot about it and some reviewers are claiming it as the pinnacle of level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Actually a lot of ppl from Looking Glass after it was disbanded, went onto work for Ion Storm.... Thats why Thief 3 has the same feel as Thief 1+2....

The 1st part of Cradle is cool, esp wen ur going ur the winding stairs to the attic.... I nearly pissed myself....

And yes Garrett is one of the best characters ever, his attitude is
    "Fcuk everyone, I'm in it for the money !"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

damn game crashed my machine when i had it.

must be it back on and give it a bash sometime soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You'll be calling people taffers for weeks to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

MrPinK wrote:
    You'll be calling people taffers for weeks to come

lol :D

the third was the first i played, and the one and only first person game i've ever played, enojyed and completed
    a big credit to the devs there, loved the atmosphere and was interested in the story....wanting to know what happened next
    also didn't mind the blue portals, they let me know i was on the right track

the cradle was a truely freaky level, intense

some people say games aren't what they used to be, i've been playing for a long time and have never been as absorbed in a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sounds interesting... I've played the Thief demos over the years, seems like a nice tactical game... water arrows for putting out lamps and stuff like that... never actually played the full games though.
    Must download a demo of Thief3 to refresh my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I've been meaning to buy that for ages but just have so many other games to finish.
    I knew a guy who made maps for thief though he mainly worked on the levels in DX: invisble war.... which i still haven't bothered to go past the training level with...meh.
    isn't ion storm gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sounds interesting... I've played the Thief demos over the years, seems like a nice tactical game... water arrows for putting out lamps and stuff like that... never actually played the full games though.
    Must download a demo of Thief3 to refresh my memory.

You will need a decent pc to run thief 3. If memory served it was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ion storm is gone, hence the unlikeliness of a thief 4, sadly.
    if i recall correctly it was this game that had me buy a 9800 pro. dynamic shadows and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Smurfpiss wrote:
    DX: invisble war.... which i still haven't bothered to go past the training level with...meh.
    Lucky you, I wasted about 6 hours of my life to that horrid thing before I uninstalled it, dire dire game, almost worth comparing to Daikatana... almost.

Thief3 was a brilliant game though, kind of missed the swash buckler style fighting from Thief2 if you missed a silent kill, but I suppose not being able to go toe to toe with the enemies made stealth even more important, and helped with the atmosphere alot, swinging a long sword and parrying etc is all fun, not very stealthy though :)

Advertisement