Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most frustrating boss you've faced ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Pyr0 wrote:
    It would have to be Xaero,the last boss on Quake3 I must have tried at least 50 times to beat him,it was on the hardest skill btw :)

Xaero is relatively easy. Just grab the rail and hide behind a pillar. Snipe him. Other level personally I found harder to beat on NM. It's a great feeling when you get them all beaten on NM though. PM me if you want a demo of how to beat Xaero easily and I'll do one up.

Diablo on HELL difficulty in Diablo II. Never managed to beat him. I think it's impossible personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Probably seems quaint in retrospect but in the original SFII M. Bison was as tough as nails. He just used to torpedo or head stomp your ass out of it. The fight was often over in seconds. They seemed to tone him down in later versions until he became no more difficult than most of the others.

The boss at the end of Level 2 of R-Type III on the SNES also stands out as particularly tough. He sends wave after wave of creatures after you and you can only hurt him when his eyes are open. Very tough to avoid being hit. Subsequent bosses in the game were tame by comparison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all boss fights in Ninja Gaiden on the xbox... i suffered as far as level 7 and then when i got to that boss fight in the church/cathedral i just couldnt take it anymore. Even the earlier boss fights seem more difficult than most games ending boss's its crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Gonzo wrote:
    all boss fights in Ninja Gaiden on the xbox... i suffered as far as level 7 and then when i got to that boss fight in the church/cathedral i just couldnt take it anymore. Even the earlier boss fights seem more difficult than most games ending boss's its crazy.

Gonzo thats where i got stuck on saturday. If i had hair i wouldve been tearing it out, the boss fights in that game are just ridiculously hard (apart from that tentacle thing which is piss easy compared to the rest). I eventually got her tho, in fact, i absolutely battered her, only used one health potion. God it felt good :D Bit of a hint, just keep moving and doing the air dash thing to hit her, when shes on the ground, beat the crap out of her, if she gets too close to you while shes floating use the ice magic to get rid of her so she doesnt do that damn lift-smash attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Roma in the Uefa Cup final in CM 03/04, ****ing batistuta. made me cry :(

And the first time i tried to beat the Final boss in DOA2 on the DC. He just seemed impossible, you couldn't get close enough and he countered everything, not so tough now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Goro, from the original Mortal Kombat in the arcade. Cost me a bloody fortune, and at 11 years old I didn't really have money to burn. Then when you finally get past him and face Shang Tsung, that guy spends the whole time transformed as Goro and you have to go through the same thing all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Gonzo wrote:

I've been stuck there a while now. Excellent game tho.

Right now i'm stuck on the magnificent 5 level in viewtiful joe 1. i had a hard enough time getting past them once, to have to do them one after another made me cry.

Ah well, on to burnout 3 i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

When I was a kid I seem to remember having a ridiculous amount of trouble with the last Ridley fight in Super Metroid but, playing it now, he isn't nearly as terrifying.
    I remember the last boss in Star Trek Elite Force. Very easy game all the way through until the massive jump in difficulty for the last boss. Large amorphous blob that spewed energy at you and was practically a one shot kill.

Maybe you mean Elite Force 2? Only played the first one myself, which will henceforth be known as the shortest progression based FPS that ever has and ever will exist (One goddamned day!). Hmm, actually EF is a lot easier to say. Mild
    The last boss in EF was this big brown guy who was built in to the wall and threw lots of charges into the air. He was easy as hell to avoid and shoot (seeing as he couldn't move). The problem with him was there was no visual feedback to show he was taking damage. I was shooting him continuously for 5 minutes with all my big guns and he looked and behaved exactly the same way as when I started. I ran around that room looking desperately for some kind of control panel or power source when all it took was a few more shots.
    Conventional bosses usually don't work very well in FPS games. The tentacles in HL were pretty good though. What makes FPS games good is intelligent enemies and some good locations for scenarios to play out (or just a shedload of scripting).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ionapaul wrote:
    Had to cheat to beat Doom 2 - that level was just too hard for me.
    It took awhile, but all you had to do was to get onto the level, and dodge the missiles for a bit, using the BFG only on the flating red blob things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Conventional bosses usually don't work very well in FPS games. The tentacles in HL were pretty good though. What makes FPS games good is intelligent enemies and some good locations for scenarios to play out (or just a shedload of scripting).

I find conventional bosses in FPS games to be really out of place. They usually are just big stupid bad guys that absorb bullets or the Quake find button press button variety. Metroid Primes bosses work because of the control system is very rigid so 2D boss elements and sequences can be brought in along with some new 3D ones. Only a few have worked on PC FPS. The tentacles worked because they where handled very differently from any other boss and Gonarch (sp?) was okay because the atmosphere was right. The final boss however was terrible. Only other good FPs bosses on the PC I can think of are the bosses from Undying other than the last one. Again not great but the atmosphere was excellent since the levels were leading up to the showdowns and nothing could beat the satisfaction of
    cutting off elizabeths head:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I complletely agree (except about Gonarch). I find that FPS bosses work much better when they're not treated as such, and instead treated like big nasty enemies... I'm not sure how to get this across.

Take the Predators in AvP as a (poor and slightly stretched, for reasons of point verificaton) example. There's no drastic music change when you approach them, no health bars appear to tell you how close they are to death, you can run away from them if the terms of the engagement are unfavourable but that doesn't mean they're any less of a boss.

Most importantly, I think, is that they don't take 2 minutes of constant fire to down. They kill you if you make a mistake or back carelessly around a corner giving them plenty of time to disc you for a one hit kill making them dangerous without being monotonous. That's usually (but not always) the reason FPS bosses seem like a chore rather than a challenge. That's the reason I wasn't too fond of Gonarch.

I'll come back to this if no one else can think of a better example. God knows I've played enough FPS games to come up with one decent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The final fight in Rune was a bugger. Cormack, I think his name is. You literally can't do it unless you "cheat" by using your invisibility power and staying behind him. Of course, I only found that out after several dozen attempts at a fair fight. I was more annoyed that he could be beaten so easily than finding out everything else proved impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

hehe this is funny, i thought it was too easy. once you just ran around and killed all the dying jedi first, he only had one life. hehe. very easy if you have the speed force and the draw life force! Gutted for you!

well i played as a full light jedi so i didn't have that get that ability :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

I know this boss wasn't difficult for most people, but demon gate in ff7 gave me a really bad time, once u think u have him beaten,
    he'd drop a big rock on ur head and kill u!

God he pissed me off! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Alma from Ninja Gaiden, also. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Retr0gamer wrote:
    PC FPS games all seem to have really frustrating bosses because they are always so badly designed.

System Shock 2
    Deus Ex 1
    Half Life 1/2

All of these contained final bosses which required cleverness and not just careful timing to beat. You should really learn to use the word "most" instead of "all".

Getting back on topic, I have yet to beat what I think is the last boss on FF:X. I say "think" because god damn that game is long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

pam wrote:
    System Shock 2
    Deus Ex 1
    Half Life 1/2

Getting back on topic, I have yet to beat what I think is the last boss on FF:X. I say "think" because god damn that game is long.

well all the dark aeons are fun
    :rolleyes:

and dont even start on penance the rest of game is easy compared to them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Metal Gear or Metal Rex or whatever the fig you call it on MGS on the PSX.

Couldn't beat him, left down the controller after 9 or so tedious hours, switched it off and haven't played the PSX since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System Shock 2
    Deus Ex 1
    Half Life 1/2

Now I wouldn't call them true FPS games.

The last boss of FFX really annoyed me as well. Just when you think you have a survivaable method to beat him he changes his attck pattern and gets even more evil. You could always use Yojimbo :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bosses in ff8 and ff9 were easy and i was only like lvl 50 in ff9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

diddy kong racing... there was one boss race against some pig i think that required u to make split second perfect jumps over water. If u hit the water it would slow u down and u would never recover the race. Trying to pass that race I came the closest I ever have come to breaking my n64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

SyxPak wrote:
    Metal Gear or Metal Rex or whatever the fig you call it on MGS on the PSX.

Couldn't beat him, left down the controller after 9 or so tedious hours, switched it off and haven't played the PSX since.
    were you playing on hard mode?
    that boss was a piece of piss on normal :confused:
    well worth trying to beat it again for the final action sequence and the ending

Found Rex extremely easy. It's even easier if you use chaff grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Hard to beat bosses from the recent past:

Starwars Jedi Academy has a pretty impossible to beat boss at the end of a relatively easy game.

Farcry has a ludicrously hard to beat ending although the games overall difficulty level is very high anyway so I guess its only to be expected.

Fondly remebered bosses:

The Nihilanth at the end of Halflife (You could actually deliver the coup de grass with a humble crowbar!)

The end of Mafia made a pretty big impression. I really got immersed in that game and although I guessed what was going to happen it shook me up a bit when it actually came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

id have to agree with penance in ff-x, utterly ridiculous, the time and hassle involved is beating down 12000000 of hp that can heal itself is beyond my patience

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

I remember taking quite some time with the mid-point boss in the aeroplane in 'Resident Evil: Code Veronica' -- falling out of the plane was annoying. A friend of mine tried to beat him over 50 times and had to start the whole game all over again to conserve enough ammo -- ha ha!

Aw man, got to the end of code veronica on the DC and didn't have enough ammo to kill the final boss. Turned it off and havent gone back to it since; "playing through it again"? ; bugger that!

(Cant wait for Resi 4 though :)

I couldnt even beat one dark aeon in FFX let alone this penance character. Yojimbo never did his thang for me.

Gonna google for some vids of it.

If you find one mind posting a linky. Got fed up with the Dark Aoens myself. YOu've only so much time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

the dark Aeons aint "too" hard till ..er (its been a while) Bahamut i think ..then it steps from dumb to just bloody ridiculous!

Magus sisters they can **** off! i ended up using Yojimbo and getting lucky first time

the smile on my face..... ;)

Penance though...aye stupid it looks daft..it can take about 60000 each go off all your team...it seems to ..attack ..bloody quick! i had luck of well over 100 and still missed loads ...er i cant remember anything else about him..apart from im never gonna see him again \o/

Advertisement