Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xp Pro activation

• 16-01-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Aunt got my cous an iPod and she only had Win 2k and it needs Xp for it,so she went away and asked a friend for alone not knowing and installed and activated it via internet.(OEM XP pro with proper CD)

Will she get stung - thought you had to contact Microsoft if installing on differnt comps.Any ideas.

Nukem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

anti*AHEM*activation*COUGH*crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

anti*AHEM*activation*COUGH*crack
    The purpose of which post-activation would be?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Nah man. The woman is in her forties and didnt know and i was like oh. Anyone can go online and figure out how to actiuvate it ahem as you said.

But i am being serious here

well what i read from the original post was that she got caught out when activating an already activated copy, did i read it wrong?

well what i read from the original post was that she got caught out when activating an already activated copy, did i read it wrong?

Look man - she didnt know and i never warned her caus i didnt realise she was goin to do it. Tjis is getting way off topic. She didnt do it ilegally to her knowledge.She borrowed and org OEM Xp Pro and activated it thinking she was fine. Didnt ask her for any codes just and e-mail and address............etc.......

Dont want Mr.Gates ringing her.

• Advertisement

ah, i see now what happened, well im sure bills not going to put her in jail for an honest mistake, and anyway how waas she let activate it if it had already been activated?

ah, i see now what happened, well im sure bills not going to put her in jail for an honest mistake, and anyway how waas she let activate it if it had already been activated?

Bingo.
    Thats what i said and got the smart comment "so you dont know everything" Nice for trying to help. But god knows if she gets a call guess whos fault it would be.

Only answer is unlocked activation CD but how do i check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Don't worry about it, she won't get caught. :)

NotMe wrote:
    Don't worry about it, she won't get caught. :)
    Comforting to know. Wanna share why please?

Well how could they possibly tell? If you change more than three(or whatever) pieces of hardware then you have to reactivate. If you installed XP on one computer and it got destroyed and you wanted to install it on another you could ring Microsoft and get a new activation code... What I'm saying is that MS can't tell if XP has been activated on two different computers or if it has just been activated on one and then reactivated due to a major hardware change.

• Advertisement

Thats me point. No activation code needed? Just asked her for ^^ see above.

oh you said she "installed and activated it via internet". Did she not have to type in the code to activate it via internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Nukem wrote:
    Thats me point. No activation code needed? Just asked her for ^^ see above.

Are both computers the same brand? Some XP OEM discs are preactivated for certain brand PCs (I think it recognises the bios)

No :confused:

Are both computers the same brand? Some XP OEM discs are preactivated for certain brand PCs (I think it recognises the bios)

Dunno what the other one is but her one is an old Gateway P3

Advertisement