Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving

• 17-01-2005 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching MOTD there and the diving issue occured to me when the Chelsea - Spurs highlights were on. Chelsea got a penalty when (in my opinion) Smertin dived. Thats fair enough, the ref was fooled. Later on Robben went down after just getting inside the box, the ref obviously thought he dived because he didnt give a penalty, so my question is: why didnt he book him?

I thought the directive from the Fa or fifa or someone there a while back was that diving inceidents should result in a booking. Its a bit pointless if refs arent booking people and in turn they arent getting in trouble from the FA. This all means that diving is never going to be reduced or cut out. Plus it also seems that the FA condone it.

Players getting slightly clipped are going down like a sack of spuds instead of staying on their feet and trying to score. If they new they would definately get booked and sent off for diving it would encourage them to stay up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

It seems that the referees only follow these new directives for the first few games of the season where they book everything in sight and then just revert back to normal.

Was watching some of the Spanish football on SS this evening and the diving is much worse over there, in the Real Madrid v Real Zaragoza game one of the Real Zaragoza forwards made one one of the most blatenty bad dives while trying to win a penalty I had ever seen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A better solution is a red card for any definate diving.

A lot of decisions are 50-50, but if you get caught definately diving in the refs mind, an example being Smertin today, you get sent off just like that.
    See how many people dive then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Harry2001 wrote:

Was watching some of the Spanish football on SS this evening and the diving is much worse over there, in the Real Madrid v Real Zaragoza game one of the Real Zaragoza forwards made one one of the most blatenty bad dives while trying to win a penalty I had ever seen :D

THe unfortunate thing about it is that with more and more foreingners coming in and with refs not penalising players, the situaton can only get more like in spain, and i fear moreso with liverpool seeing as its going to be an all spanish team soon.

On the issue of whether its deliberate or not, surely if a player goes down, then turns to the ref looking for a penalty, if the ref doesnt give it, he must think it was a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    A better solution is a red card for any definate diving.

A lot of decisions are 50-50, but if you get caught definately diving in the refs mind, an example being Smertin today, you get sent off just like that.
    See how many people dive then :)
    Dont be so stupid! How many times have you seen a player wrongly been booked for diving?

As regards the Robben incident, personally I thought it was a penalty. There was contact and Robben was running at pace and he ended up going down. Perhaps the ref just thought that the defender was stronger in the challenge than Robben and hence it was fair, so he didnt book him. Seems reasonable enough to me.

On a side note, I saw a clip of the Sunderland game today and in was the worst piece of diving Ive ever seen. Im not sure who it was but a Sunderland forward was put clean through, he was being chased but managed to round the keeper, but he then went down as if the keeper had caught him (which he didnt) in an attempt to get him sent off. All he had to do was put the ball in the net! But the ref was wise and booked him, it was sweet to see him getting his deserved reward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

while were on the subject of booking people. The thing i rank just below diving for wrecking my head and disgusts me is players waving their hands at the ref in a "book him" jesture (sorry for the appaling description). I'm of the opinion that not matter what offence has been commited against him, be it a drop-kick to the head or a blatent spit in the face, any player doing this should at least be givena yellow card for this. If for nothing else than patronising the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't remember the last time I saw it, can you?
    How about the last time you saw somebody sent off for the wrong reasons?

Chances are about similar I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I can't remember the last time I saw it, can you?
    How about the last time you saw somebody sent off for the wrong reasons?

Chances are about similar I think
    Im not sure I follow you.

People get incorrectly booked for diving regularly. The only one I can think off the top of my head was Drogba against Villa (I think) which he got recinded. However if it were a red card offence it could alter the entire game, and many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I don't know why they don't introduce video evidence for diving allowing a ban to be imposed after the game, if a panel can see no contact then throw the book at the player , it won't change the result of the game ( or probably shoud not) but would make players think twice before doing their "shot by a sniper routine".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

growler wrote:
    I don't know why they don't introduce video evidence for diving allowing a ban to be imposed after the game, if a panel can see no contact then throw the book at the player , it won't change the result of the game ( or probably shoud not) but would make players think twice before doing their "shot by a sniper routine".

That's the solution and there is no reason for not implmenting it as they alread use video evidence for other offences. I believe its the continetal players that have imported this to the english game but latley it apppears that it is catching on. I would like to see all divers given an automatic three match ban ,that would soon put a stop to it.

Advertisement