Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy an LCD television ? (high street or online)

Options
  • 17-01-2005 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a 26" lcd tv soon, but looking for best place to get it. Looked in DID, power city, phillips store, and online at the likes of elara, and the uk dixons site (ireland is woeful for any online electronics retailers).

Looking to spend anywhere between €1000 and €2000, if the quality is right. Have seen a nice toshiba on elara for €2000 ex. vat which looks quite tempting, while also almost got a €1000 mitsubishi from power city. Alot seem to be in the €1500 range, and a nice phillips for €1650, so really just seeing if anyone here has any tips on what tv to get and where :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Before you settle on buying from any highstreet shop check prices here: www.unbeatable.co.uk. I got my home cinema set off them and someone else on here got their plasma there.

Why did you decide LCD over Plasma? (i'm just being nosey)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because plasma are on their way out at this stage. What I'd really want is a DLP. Also, its 26" because of space than anything else.

How did you order off unbeatable.co.uk ? their website seems geared for uk only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

I looked into this a while ago. albeit i was buying a 17" one that I was going to use for a TV and my computer monitor but in terms of price and quality I found Philips to be the best. The Philips shop at the bottom of Georges street and Dame street are a little price but they were at least willing to haggle a little with me and throw in a few extra's as well.

The Philips are more pricey than other LCD's but the picture qaulity is excellent.

Also be wary if you have NTL in the house and its spilt to other rooms none of the LCD's have great tuners (well none of the ones I've seen anyways) and you might need a signal booster as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

30" in Aldi and Lidl comes at about 1700 every few months i holding out for that , mate got one superb quality off it.

Kdjac

When I ordered off unbeatable I just went through as normal and then rang them and they added the extra shipping. You should eamil/ring before ordering to confirm they will ship it and for how much.

Plasma is definatley not on its way out. You should go over to www.avforums.com and start reading about pors and cons of each technology and see which will suit you best. And if your trying to compare TV's in places like currys, dixons etc. there are rarely setup right and configured to their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

KdjaC wrote:
    30" in Aldi and Lidl comes at about 1700 every few months i holding out for that , mate got one superb quality off it.

Kdjac

actually now that I think of it i was in Lidl on Parnell St. on saturday and they still had the LCD's in there. €999 i think it was so not too sure about the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ciaran500 wrote:
    . And if your trying to compare TV's in places like currys, dixons etc. there are rarely setup right and configured to their best.

That pisses me off, Currys altho **** have the best selection and pricing of tvs on display but they all look like cack, guy i know was told when buying a Sony trinitron he said it looked a bit crap but seller said that was the setup,it will look great when you get it home , he didnt buy it.

kdjac

You just reminded about this: why do some places still run there top of the line plasmas of a black diamond dvd player that looks like its outputting composite. FFS what do they expect from the plasma.

Advertisement