Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What basketball experience have you?

Options
  • 17-01-2005 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Just a quick poll (without the actual poll bit) of boards people to see what team, what levels, and what competitions we have played in. Even if its just throwing a ball around with some mates.

I've played Dublin league under-17, under-19, then college in Trinity College including league and intervarsities.

Then I left college, got lazy, and haven't played very much at all since. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

played dublin league under 15 / 17 / 19, then division 3 mens, then division 2 mens, then division 3 mens for another club then divisision 2 for the same club and during the summers/when its not raining i generally play down in mountjoy square (before the court was ruined) also in the garginer st and shandon park courts.

but im outta shape at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I played right through school and gave up basketball when I went to college.

I have a couple of all-ireland medals (no gold unfortunately) with community games and my school St. Mels in Longford. I played on the Midlands team underage. Nothing that recent, because of my complete laziness while I was in college. Couple of leinster and midlands medals in my pocket while we were getting to the all-irelands as well.

Funnily enough, I stopped playing basketball and then started to grow ... a LOT. I was average enough height until about 16-17 and I now stand at about 6'6, so it gives me a pretty big advantage at the five, especially playing in Division 3 Dublin league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

played with my school and won numerous south dublin and dublin titles, when in fifth year we made the final of the All Ireland C league which we lost so the following year we got promoted to the B league. With the experience that we had together we were able to pull it together and win it that year one of the best days ever. Played in college in first year in dublin but it sorta fizzled out from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Meh, new board eh!

Dabbled a bit in basketball, have a few trophies, senior schools all ireland gold. Played college with DCU for a year, which was uninteresting. Probably knocked about in games with mister phil there a few times in college, i remember him as a midget kid in school alright. Played a season in division 1, then totally lost interest. Played the odd pick up game since, don't really have a love for the game anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Played schools for a few years, a few interprovincal titles and such with them,
    Local men's league with the local club team, College ball with WIT for 4 years
    and now playing Div 2 in Dublin.

Its good to be back playing after a 5 year break and the fitness is back to
    a decent level but still working on the oul shooting.. :)

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

bugs wrote:
    Dabbled a bit in basketball, have a few trophies, senior schools all ireland gold. Played college with DCU for a year, which was uninteresting. Probably knocked about in games with mister phil there a few times in college, i remember him as a midget kid in school alright. Played a season in division 1, then totally lost interest. Played the odd pick up game since, don't really have a love for the game anymore.

Didn't know you guys won the all-ireland schools gold? I remember Gareth O'Halloran and John Walsh and co. got to the final and lost... can't remember if you were on that team or not.

Were you playing with the Falcons in Div 1?

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Jaysus ted,

We won the all ireland cup that year, last year i was in school, gareth was still there also, we were on for the double with the league that year but i cut up my hand pretty bad before the regional championships and we had a bad game against limerick.
    Played the first season with falcons in division one, well, a few games anyway, then lost interest. They seem to be doing ok, enough ppl to make up a spare midland league team anyway. I still muck around on occasion, but thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I played school and club from U12 up to U19, played for dublin U13,U15 & U17,played for Ireland U16,played national league for a year with Notre Dame,playing div1 now with Eanna. Got a few All-Ireland medals along the way too,including sprite cup medal (junior of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

I played schools and club underage ^^^^^^ if you were on the team that won the 2000 junior mens cup i was on your team. Then played college for 4 years. Started a tyeam with a few lads from home and school this year we won d5 easily (unbeaten) and were playing d3 next year we aim to make the top 4.

if you were on the team that won the 2000 junior mens cup i was on your team

Yeah season of 99/00, who's that anyway???

• Advertisement

Ciaran Bowe and yourself?

Ah Mr. Bowe,how are you?? It's Kenny.

Agh Mark whats the craic man? Where are you playing now? Mulholland is playing down in Athlone him and his da moved down there last year. I finished college and am working now (hence loadsa time spent on the internet).

I played Div 1 last year with Eanna, did ok came 5th out of 9 teams in the first season in Div 1. Training to be an accountant ( :( i know ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I got hit twice by a ball on top of the head, it hurt and i had head aches for the rest of the day :(
    On a serious note......

Played for abot 2-3 years for a club in holland till i moved to ireland when i was 15, regular matches and tourneys round sumer time. All went quiet for a bit then.
    Heard about cavan basketball team (town i live in) played with them for a bit 1 or 2 matched but that just fell appart. For the 4 years in school i played at lunch time most days, weather dependant.
    Went to college played there for the second half of first year when we got a good coach, dont know what happened after that as i left college.
    Cavan team is none existant now as far as i know.

My younger brother started playing before me and played for the first team at our club for under (i guess) 13's, his team was to good so they got moved up to under (i guess) 15's they went unbeaten the whole season.

He played a tournament or 2 as well, came home one year with a cup that had "european champion" on it??? was in brusells i think (again prob under 13's or 15's or there abouts).

It's a pitty there's no club round here cause i'd love to still play

EDIT: dont know how good the blue demons where 7 years ago but my brothers team beat them. i remember they had 2 players on the irish team the guard was as good as my brother. Often wondered would my brother have been good enough for the irish team after that but like me he doesnt play anymore either

Advertisement