Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Basketball?

Options
  • 17-01-2005 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

Would anyone be interested in getting some names together and a group of go rent a gym somewhere around dublin for a pick-up game?
    Just a friendly game to have some fun and (for me) to get back inot playing the sport I love.

So who's up for it, and who has suggestions for a gym (school or otherwise) that we can rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I would definately be interested, I might be able to drum up a few lads if we needed some numbers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I could probably get a few people to join in as well, but it would be nice to get a boards thing going even occasionally if not regularly.

We need to get this forum a bit busier and then we might get some takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aidomac

Same here, would love to play a bit of basketball regularly.

What sorts of places are available to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Somewhere in or near town would probably be best and most convenient for everyone in Dublin, but I don't know of anywhere in town.

DCU is on a good few bus routes, and I'm pretty sure i could get a court rented there, perhaps if we get a list of people willing to play a game. If lafortezza collected a list of names either via this thread, or via PM's and posted up another sticky, with the list of usernames willing to play, that might be a good idea?

For a 5v5 game, you'd want 14-16 names, cause you're not gonna be able to get a time that suites everyone. People obviously need to be rested as well! More than likely though, 3v3 games would suit better. Even if we got 10 or 12 people, we could just split up into multiple teams that rotated their time on the court.

I can look into prices for DCU, which is pretty accessible via buses if anyone wants me to.

Once they actually start, they will drum up more interest. We could be waiting for numbers for ages, and for those of you who don't play with a team, I'd say the best thing to do might be just to get them started even if it did mean a few non boards.ie players at the start!

Because I'm only training with my club once a week, I'd love an extra scrimmage session or two during the week. I realise that's not gonna happen now, but it would be even nice for maybe an extra one a month.

Whatever way it goes, definitely stick my name down!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

sounds good to me.. Im based in city centre with work so anywhere really
    would suit me..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I'm interested too, but not if I'm the only girl! :eek:

vibrant wrote:
    I'm interested too, but not if I'm the only girl! :eek:
    Convince some of you mates to come along.
    I'd say the plan would be to get about 10-15 people interested and agreed on say a thursday evening 8pm slot somewhere. It'll be strictly for fun, none of the "no blood no foul bítch, suck it up!" stuff!

I'll have a look around for somewhere that would let us rent for a couple of hours, that'll hopefully cost us no more than a few euro each.
    If anyone has any suggestions post them here! Ideally city centre of as close to as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'm in too, havent played in a few years, but i was good once upon a time! keep the info comin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

after much debate..... with myself, i'd like to express my interest in this idea of playing basketball again, so mark me down as an interested party and if help is needed organising it ill do my best to chip in.

Ok I emailed IBB and checked the Dublin's Men's Basketball site.
    There doesn't seem to be many gyms/courts in the city centre for hire.

There's the Trinity college court, but as far as I remember when I was there a few years back the court is used every evening from 6pm til closing without fail, it'd be very hard to get a booking. I'll give them a ring on the off chance over the next couple of days to find out, as location-wise it'd be pretty perfect.

Other than that there's UCD, probably the same story as TCD with the courts being used every night anyway by college clubs, but since they have 2 (or 3?) courts there then there might be a chance of a vacancy.

I'll also try St Michael's school (just beside Sandymount DART station) I used to train there and its a pretty good court.

Apart from that there's very few courts that I think would be viable. Most seem to be quite a distance outside the city centre.
    If anyone has any suggestions for a suitable place then please mention them here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement