Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Ball is back on for 2005

• 17-01-2005 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

MCD will probably be running it and it WILL be happening.
    It twas decided last week so I hear

Trinity News will be having a front page on it this week .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yup, this is confirmed as not rumour, had a number of el decision making types have confirmed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Wonder what bands are gonna be playing? The past 2 years selections have been dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

there's only one reply i can think of to this thread:
    :D:D:D:D:D

I've lost everyone the last 2 years I've gone to the T-Ball. I shared a burger (very classy of me) with some lady I didn't know on some steps last year, and started punching my friend in the stomach. That's what happens when you drink a full bottle of vodka (~700ml) before going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

You drank a full bottle of vodka?!?!?... fukk that must be some buzz...

Hopefully it will be an excellent event, I went in 1st year, now in 4th, and tbh I haven't a clue who played back then - and had one of the best nights going.

It would be nice if there were a few decent bands though and I like the idea of some sh!tty covers band killing a few classics.

I'll definetely go again this year no matter whose playing if I can scrape the moola together and would recommend everybody does!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

there's only one reply i can think of to this thread:
    :D:D:D:D:D

My thoughts exactly!! :p

This is so cool, I was so afraid that I wouldn't get to go!! :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

MCD brought in to save Trinity Ball

The Trinity Ball will go ahead this year... with MCD getting involved. Trinity News have the inside story.

Klara Kubiak

Following months of rampant speculation around campus, the fate of the Trinity Ball 2005 has finally been decided and the ball will go ahead this year, despite persistent rumours to the contrary. Concert and festival organisers MCD confirmed their sponsorship of this year’s ball on Monday, January 10th. MCD will be responsible for the production and organisation of the event, with tickets sales and distribution remaining in the hands of C.S.C. For the past few years the future of the event has been seriously doubted, as rising insurance costs coupled with falling ticket sales have resulted in previous balls netting a loss rather than a profit.
    C.S.C.’s Capitation Committee officially cancelled the 2005 ball in April of 2004 after agreeing that it could not feasibly be staged unless it proves profitable. But following much protestation from a student body eager to retain what has now become an institution in college life, the Trinity Ball Committee met last November to discuss bringing on board a professional organisation to aid in the management of the event, according to S.U. Entertainment Officer, Niall Morris. After receiving proposals from two music promotions companies, MCD and the P.O.D. group, the committee decided that MCD would prove the most appropriate and beneficial. The future of the ball was still undecided until MCD confirmed their sponsorship of the event last week
    Trinity Ball’s recent history has been somewhat turbulent: 2002 was the last significantly viable year of the event, with the Nokia and Guinness companies contributing vast sums to money to the cause, and tickets almost completely selling out. 2003 however was met with escalating insurance costs (increasing by almost 170%) and a notable decrease in ticket sales. Last year’s ball, despite selling 5400 out of the 6000 available tickets, made a loss of 14,000 euro due to insufficient sponsorship, according to C.S.C.’s Honorary Treasurer, Joe O’Gorman.
    The last ball to be cancelled was in 1995, and a decade later it could have suffered a similar fate, if not for the timely injection of this much needed funding. The Irish based MCD company have developed, promoted and managed some of the biggest festivals in Europe such as Witnness, Slane and Creamfields in Ireland and V2000 in England. Securing a sponsor within the entertainment and music industry will presumably benefit the ball’s organisers in accessing artists for the event. The Entertainment Officer believes working with such a company will also allow for a higher standard of production, publicity and sponsorship sourcing thanks to MCD’s contacts and experience.
    After recent structural reorganisation within the C.S.C’s Capitation Committee, profit sharing of ball proceeds will occur this year, O’ Gorman states. Thus funds made from the ball will go back to the Capitation Committee to be distributed amongst C.S.C., the Student’s Union and other societies.
    One discouraging factor for ball-goers in recent times (which is perhaps at least partially responsible for the fall out in attendance) has been climbing ticket prices for the event. O’Gorman predicts, however, that ticket prices will not increase this year, but perhaps could be marginally cheaper. At worst, it is expected that prices for tickets will remain the same as last year. C.S.C. will still oversee the ticket management, sales and distribution system, with payment for tickets again being made through Bank of Ireland.
    MCD and the Student’s Union Entertainment Officer, Niall Morris will together liaise with performers in the coming months; no acts have been confirmed to date, and those involved are remaining reticent about who will be approached to perform. Falling slightly later in Trinity term than in previous years, the 2005 ball will take place on Friday May 13th.

which sexy lady wants to go with me?

chump wrote:
    Hopefully it will be an excellent event, I went in 1st year, now in 4th, and tbh I haven't a clue who played back then - and had one of the best nights going.

I think Royksopp played, iirc...

All I want is a Stones cover band. Then I'll be happy.

Or else The Stones themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It was actually decided before christmas to have it.

The stones would be cool

if freddie mercury was still allive and kicking, i'd like queen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I heard today that Manic Street Preachers and The Killers are tipped for the ball. Well I won't be going for the bands this year. Just the debauchery.

yes....

bring on the drink

infact, we should have a house 6 party in haouse 6 ( wow) for the soc's there sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

When is the date? and what is the rough price of the tickets? Am an Alumni and have not gone in 6 :eek: years but still think that it is a great party - now to dust down that old ballgown (or do they still wear them) - disadvantage of getting old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

C.S.C.’s Capitation Committee officially cancelled the 2005 ball in April of 2004 after agreeing that it could not feasibly be staged unless it proves profitable.

Right putting on my pedantic hat - Capitation is not a CSC committee it is a College committee made up of DUCAC, SU, GSU, DU PUBS and CSC reps along with some officials from the Treasurer's Office. It is chaired by the Senior Dean and since the Ball restarted in the mid-90's oversees it and its finances. TN should really know better - that kind of mistake would never happen in the Record! ;-)

infact, we should have a house 6 party in haouse 6 ( wow) for the soc's there sometime

Good plan. We (DURNS) were thinking about this ourselves but we never got round to contacting any other societies. The societies tend to be quite insular so I think a mad House 6 party would be a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

This all sounds mild compared to the first Ball I went to back in 1992 - what a year that was :) Think this year would be a nice year to go back again. Is the Strauss still part of it also?

that's separate afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

i have heard a few people mention that MCD are probably going to get Scooter to play.

tariqbutt wrote:
    i have heard a few people mention that MCD are probably going to get Scooter to play.

right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

John2 wrote:
    right...
    meh **** it not like i'll be in any state to notice :)

• Advertisement

/me keeps hoping for the chemical brothers

/me keeps hoping for the chemical brothers

Damn Straight! They're playing in the point (think its there) on 16th of March, and I'm away for that. Stupid barcelona trip. But yeah, them at the ball would be unbelievable.

That would be deadly all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

chemical brothers? I'd doubt tb could get a damien rice tribute band, only messing.

lets annoy the ents officer niall to get them!"

meh chemical brothers would be good, but i'd much rather Tiesto ;)

can someone exlain how the ents officer's role in this has changed since the arrival of mcd? does this mean it's easier for ents officer to get good acts thru their contacts or does it mean mcd are going to use trinity ball to showcase bands that they feel are focused on that market or try and spring start new acts fame?

is mcd a good thing?

can someone exlain how the ents officer's role in this has changed since the arrival of mcd? does this mean it's easier for ents officer to get good acts thru their contacts or does it mean mcd are going to use trinity ball to showcase bands that they feel are focused on that market or try and spring start new acts fame?

is mcd a good thing?
    we'll know in a few months won't we?

well to be honest it's not like a give hoot. it all becomes background music. just as long as they don't get thing/one related to pop idol, popstars, star idol, you are a star, you're an idol, you're a pop idol. or any such related things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

LOL, You're an Idol, I can see it now..

Advertisement