Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help buying a Hi-fi

Options
  • 17-01-2005 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

My friend is buying a hifi and I told him that I would post a message here. See if you guys can help out.

He has about €1500-€1600 to spend. His criteria is; cd player, tape deck and tuner. He also only wants two speakers, not giant ones just your average size hifi speaker.

Can you guys recommend him something? Where is the best place to look for it? Any good cheap online retailers?

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If he is spending that much then I assume he wants seperates, spending that much on an all-in-one is nuts.
    http://www.richersounds.ie is always a good start for cheap prices on quality seperates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

He does want separates. Can someone suggest a few models? I'm clueless about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

With that kinda money he can probably afford a Bose lifestyle system or similar. I've only ever heard one in a shop but it was quality...

Personally if he's going for a non-separate set up I'd choose the likes of Technics or something. Get a top system for around 800 or so.
    I have an old EH600 that I bought about 3 years back. Cost me a lot at the time but it's never failed me and it still annoys the hell out of the neighbours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

He does want separates. Can someone suggest a few models? I'm clueless about it!
    Here's a some models so:

All from Richer Sounds

NAD C352ct Amplifier
    Monitor Audio Bronze 4 Apeakers
    NAD C521Bee CD Player
    Denon TU260L Tuner
    TEAC V615 Tape Deck
    Cambridge Pacific Interconnect x 3

Total cost: €1524.80, plus some speaker cable and delivery charges.

There ya go! There's a starting point for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

...and no seperate system should be without a turntable IMO. And if you're not willing to spend too much money on one, get over to this thread.
    Thing to remember though, if you're getting a record player, you'll need an amp with a phono input, or you're going to need either a pre-amp, or a turntable with a pre-amp built in..

Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Is your mate in Dublin?

If he is, tell himself to get over to cloney audio (www.cloneyaudio.com) and demo some gear - they'll usually throw in a decent interconnect, some speaker cable & some stands if you ask really nicely ;)

How big is his room? If its less than 4mx4m - he should really avoid floorstanders, and go standmount.
    options:
    CD Player
    Arcam CD73T €630.00
    Rotel RCD-02 €595.00

Amplifier:
    Arcam A65 Plus €565.00
    Rotel RA-01 €395.00 (the RA-02 is €545 but is the EXACT same apart from a remote - and a remote isnt worth €150!)

Speakers:
    B&W DM601 S3 €399.00
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00
    System Audio SA 505 €299.00

The advantage of Cloney Audio is that they usually have some decent cheapish pre-owned stuff (amps and speakers make excellent used buys). I got my NAD Tuner second hand there for €50!

Those B&W 602 S3s are awsome speakers - I love them, plant them on some decent speaker stands and you have the best bargain speaker out there! I have the 602 S1s and they are really nice - but the S3s are just so much nicer to listen to!

A nice system out of the above would be:
    Arcam CD73T €630.00
    Rotel RA-01 €395.00
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00
    Total: €1504

As for speaker cables and interconnects, if they dont throw one in free - I find the Pacific to be really really bass heavy - it's a good cable, but try and get a decentish Van den hull for the CDplayer - amp.

if he spends a bit more now on the CD player, amp & speakers, he can add the tuner and tapdeck when he needs it. I used my old Minihifi connected by a headphone output into the back of my amp as my tuner and tape deck until I bought a tuner (I dont really need a tape deck!)

In my opinion - when you have that much to spend you shouldnt go near richersounds for the CD/amp or speakers.

Anyway - just some ideas

Advertisement