Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHS to digital

Options
  • 17-01-2005 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an easy way (without loads of equipment)
    to take some short clips of a vhs video tape and digitise it to put on a website?
    Or is there somewhere I can go to get it done?

Also what would be the best format to use for the digital clips.

thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

if there going on a website you can use xvid or wmv at a low bitrate and resolution to save space.

you need a video capture card to get the vhs onto your pc and then onto the internet

aldi had one last week for 40eu, i think.

if you cant afford one maybe you could ask someone to convert it for you.
    plenty of people have the cards so you could just send them the tape and they could send it back with a cd/dvd

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I was doing this over christmas with some old home movies that needed to be shared with the extended family!

I picked up PC TV from Pinnacle Systems that allowed me to connect me video player to my desktop. I then recorded the old videos into digital format.

I then used Roxio to export into a shareable format. I think it was wmv but I could of exported to loads of different formats such as divx, etc.

Anyway, I think Roxio cost about 100 euro for the advanced edition and PC TV was about the same. Here's some links but you would be able to find different products for cheaper to do the same thing.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=103&Langue_ID=7

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/index.jhtml

Best of luck.

Regards,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Thanks for the help I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Another option might be a web cam - I have an Intel one which has a video-in socket.
    I have a SCART cable that splits out to phono plugs. The video one goes to the web cam, the audio ones I put into a phono-to-headphone jack lead to the mic socket of the laptop and run the webcam video capture software. Spits out avi files.

Advertisement