Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oujii board. Would u mess with one?

• 17-01-2005 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

After watching White Noise last night which largely concerns contacting dead people via watching static on tv's. (it's kinda scarey if you wanna know)

So I don't beleive in ghosts and yet I would never mess with a oujii board. A view tarnished by hollywood no doubt.

Just wondering has anyone here messed with an oujii board and had something strange happen.

Or whats yur view on ghosts and would you use a oujii board if the opportunity presented itself :) and in particular would u try to use one on yur own :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Try the paranormal forum they're into their cray-zee shiznit over there. Might get a more receptive/less cynical response there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I kinda wanted the average view altho mods feel free to move this thread. Cynical or not any reply is good. My point is I don't beleive in ghosts and living in the country I happily go about at night in the dark with no street lights and it doesn't bother me.

Just wondering tho what the average persons thoughts on stuff like oujii boards is. Would you use em? I wouldn't, even if my view on them is skewed from hollywood movies and I just wanted to know if other ppl felt the same.

I also know I'm somewhat contradicting myself for not beleiving in ghosts and still refusing to use a oujii board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Well personally I wouldn't have a problem with it really. I'd be interested in seeing how it turned out..

I'm not superstitious at all but I'd say I'd be cackin' myself if anything happened while we were using it........

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

My late grandmother says you should never mess with ouija boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd have no problem using one of them. I don't believe anything it could tell me would cause me any harm.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote:
    I'd have no problem using one of them. I don't believe anything it could tell me would cause me any harm.

But what about the possibility of something u might attract :) assuming it worked (que lightning strike and thunderclap)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

you do realise that EVP has nothing to do with ouija boards right?

I would not suggest ever bringing a ouija board into your home.
    I also would not suggest trying EVP in your home...if those thoughts have crossed your mind.

I also saw White noise this weekend, didnt care for the movie really, I thought it was going to be different. I thought it was going to be about actual incidences with the use of EVP which caught my interest.

Before you buy a ouija board go into a local metaphysical shop and ask them about it, they will tell you it isnt anything you should mess with.

Some people consider it a game, or a fun scare but there have been stories of people really harmed by the use of such tools.
    Never do it alone or in your home...
    Just some info I have picked up over the years.

I personally would not mess with the thing, it cant possibly do any good. ;)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I've actually used one and I'm still around to tell the tale. Harmless fun if you ask me. Maybe there's a sale on in OuijaWorld this month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i did a Oujii board session a number of times with friends, nothing happened. i was very surprised :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

done it a couple of times years ago with a load of friends!We were all about fourteen at the time and i dont whether it was one of them messing but one of my mates got really freaked by some of the stuff that came back!he asked us would we go to the church with him were we spoke to the priest there and he put our minds at rest!Was fairly freaky then but now im just fairly sure it was one of the others cruelly messing!Needless to say we didnt do it after that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hell yes I would, in fact I think I might go buy one right now.
    I'll report back here if anything horrible happens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea i have done probably will do again dont believe in any of this sorta stuff it seems science has corrupted me to the point where i dont have the ability to think creativly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I've done it alot of times and its mainly someones nervous finger that moves but its still funny

BEAT wrote:
    you do realise that EVP has nothing to do with ouija boards right?

Yeah but the premise is the same it's just I figured ppl would be more aquainted with a (or is it an) oujii board.

Some people find the entire idea of messing with one a very serious thing. Others like me don't beleive in it as such but feel it's better safe than sorry and then finally the people who don't mind it all.

I mean what bad stuff can happen?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah some of my friends do i like to **** with their heads :D

mayordenis wrote:

yeah some of my friends do i like to **** with their heads :D
    Thats just cruel but they might get the last laugh when yur bed starts to levitate and yur head starts to spin :D

BEAT wrote:
    Some people consider it a game, or a fun scare but there have been stories of people really harmed by the use of such tools.
    Never do it alone or in your home...
    Just some info I have picked up over the years.

I personally would not mess with the thing, it cant possibly do any good. ;)
    But aren't these stories just that? Stories told by kids in school and always a friend of a friend. Do yuo know anyone yourself that has had anything happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BEAT wrote:
    a local metaphysical shop

you know, i looked through the yellow pages, and i couldnt find one.
    typical!

you know, i looked through the yellow pages, and i couldnt find one.
    typical!

lol :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ok guys messing with a ouija board is not a good idea. there will be alot of skeptics to this but ill tell y story anyway believe it if you want.

Me and my ates used one before that we made ourselves fro paper. if anyone has the rge to use one make your own from paper as its much easier to destroy just rip it up. Anyway was about 3 years ago and we were in my mates house and we were kinda bored so someone suggested doing the oija board. Dunno where she got the idea from but we said why not so we drew it up and did the usual stuff like sitting around it and whatever. No one thought it would work or anything so alot of my mates were just messing around at the start. But then no messing it actaully worked.

We contacted this guy who had been killed in a car accident. Well I dunno if you know this but the first thing your supposed to ask is if the spirit is good or bad. This guy said he was good and we talked to him for about 3 mins then it just stopped working. Didnt get to ask much because it took a long time for him to reply just where was he from and how he died.

Anyway we were pretty freaked out about it but decided to give it another go and no one was messing anymore everone was really into it. Anyway we tried it again and nothing happened for a good twenty mins and then we did get through to someone else. We just asked its name and it spelled out john age 27. Oh sory there was 5 of us 4 lads and a girl and it was the girl who asked him was he good or bad and as soon as she said this it went straight to bad.everyone thought someone was messing the girl was well freaked out and she jumped out of the chair. I swear to god I have never seen someone look so scared in my life. One of mates grabbed the board ripped it up and threw it in the fire. Everyone was well freaked out especially the girl and we just decided to go to bed coz no one was saying anything everyone was bit freaked out but we still thought that maybe the girl was messing. anyway we all just went to bed and went asleep.

This is the f**ked up part of it that still really freaks me up. In the morning the girl woke us up coz she came running into the room that we slept in. She was just as scared and freaked as last and was crying. No one knew what the hell was going on and took us ages to get her to tell us. She said that she had woken up that morning and that the pyjamas that she had gone to bed in that night were folded up neatly on a chair beside the bed and that all of the covers had been stripped off the bed sheet and everthing and were folded up and in the bottom of the wardrobe. She had woken up lying on the bed completely naked and thats what freaked her out. No one could have got in coz she had locked the door incase any of us tried to mess with her and freak her out during the night.

All of us sweared that we didnt go anywhere near the room and we were just as freaked out as she was. She was a real good friend of mine and she was never the same after that. Such a nervous wreck and she stopped hanging around with us. I dunno one of the lads said she went to counciling or something but she moved anyway. still talk her alot but she has totally changed and has f**ked her up real bad im not messing the girl is a wreck. all of us are still freaked out about that and i dunno still what happened and if someone was messing but dunno how they could have done that without waking her up. Its some f**ked up **** and there is no way i would ever go near that again coz it does work i promise you. everyone thins its just fun i did as well but it isnt!! oh and just in case somebody asks no one was driking or on anything so it wnt just in our heads

anyway thats my two cents worth and i reckon people should stay away from it coz its really f**ked up ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

( I was tempted to say that maybe she decided to stop hanging around with you guys, and came up with this as a ploy ... but I won't )

but .. that sounds freaky indeed! I for one won't be messing with any oujii boards anytime soon, or trying to record evps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not calling Kingp35 a liar or anything but I don't really believe in all that paranormal stuff, Ouija boards, ghosts etc. But having said that, I don't think I'd ever put my dissbelief to the test. I could be, and often am, wrong :(

As you say, it can really fu*k with your head, whether it's real or not.

Freaky stuff, to be avoided I think.

yes, they are nasty things. From what I have found out about them...if you are doing it right and in the right place it opens up a doorway and the spirit comes through. I dont think it is possible to send that spirit back yourself...but the door is opened, hence why you shouldnt do it in your home.
    Burning the thing closes the door I have been told, but what you let in cant be reversed unless by a professional.

There have been reported cases of people becoming posessed and needed exorcisms. I'd rather not find out myself and so steer clear of things that could possibly cause harm.

Sure as kids you play with the things and think nothing of it and we all think the 'stories' associated with them are part of the thrill of the game, after I saw someone possessed I dont doubt that things like that can happen.
    You never believe this ****e is real until you see how it affected someone,
    its freaky alright. I will not allow the things in my house, thats all I have to say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmmm, 1 girl staying over with 5 guys who happens to be totally naked in her room and needed someone to comfort her.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hobbes wrote:
    Hmmm, 1 girl staying over with 5 guys who happens to be totally naked in her room and needed someone to comfort her.

i was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. she was a mate if you know what they are!!

Kingp35 wrote:
    i was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that. she was a mate if you know what they are!!
    Ahh yeah, you mean she wasn't nice looking yeah?

BEAT wrote:
    yes, they are nasty things. From what I have found out about them...if you are doing it right and in the right place it opens up a doorway and the spirit comes through. I dont think it is possible to send that spirit back yourself...but the door is opened, hence why you shouldnt do it in your home.
    Burning the thing closes the door I have been told, but what you let in cant be reversed unless by a professional.

But what's wrong with doing it in your house? What's to `keep the spirit in your house? Surely it isnt trapped by walls or doors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Kingp35 wrote:
    she was a mate if you know what they are!!

Meow, draw your claws back there, missus!

koneko wrote:
    Meow, draw your claws back there, missus!
    FX Meister wrote:
    Ahh yeah, you mean she wasn't nice looking yeah?

she was a real good mate and is totally f**ked up now so id appreciate if you would stop taking the p1ss. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm curious how this "Are you a good spirit" works?

I mean if it was a good spirit it would tell the truth, but if it was an evil one it would lie and say it was a good spirit would it not?

Maybe the first spirit was pissed off and pretended to be John to stop the boredom of watching 5 people stare at a glass for 20 minutes.

Whats to stop the other ghosts you have trapped by closing the door looking for another board to out of and come and visit you? I mean there must be loads of these boards. Or does something stop them entering the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Scientist have done studies and found that people do move the class/arrow/whatever with their subconcious but don't register it with themselves, kinda like sleepwalking, only awake.

It's probably not a coincidence that the girl in the story had weird stuff done to her and was the one who came up with the idea. She might have been one of those people who are quite responsive to the experience and then did all that folding and stuff unconsciously.

Scientist have done studies and found that people do move the class/arrow/whatever with their subconcious but don't register it with themselves, kinda like sleepwalking, only awake.

It's probably not a coincidence that the girl in the story had weird stuff done to her and was the one who came up with the idea. She might have been one of those people who are quite responsive to the experience and then did all that folding and stuff unconsciously.

i have read about this myself because i was so freaked i did a bit of research into it. its called THE AUTOMATISTIC THEORY and here is a bit about it:

"It holds that all information
    gained from a Ouija board comes from within.
    In other words, the Ouija board allows you to access answers that you already have, but cannot get to on a conscious level. The planchette spells the answers via subconscious ideomotor movements from the operator. Other examples of automatism include dreams, dowsing, and psychosomatic illness."

I dont no what to believe tbh but fact is they are dangerous either way. my friend is messed and we were pretty freaked for a while. I have to say the the subconscious theory sounds alot more believable than the spirit theory

Kingp35 wrote:
    she was a real good mate and is totally f**ked up now so id appreciate if you would stop taking the p1ss. thanks
    I apologise for any upset caused. Can I have her number?

If that is a genuine story I would consider that fairly serious although she must have been sleeping fairly heavily for someone/thing to have taken all the clothes and blamkets off her without her waking.... it's no easy feat to take a pajama top off a sleeping girl. Trust me I know.... wait a minute... no I don't.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

BEAT wrote:

I consider it a load of absolute ****, thus have no fear of the things.

• Advertisement

If that is a genuine story I would consider that fairly serious although she must have been sleeping fairly heavily for someone/thing to have taken all the clothes and blamkets off her without her waking.... it's no easy feat to take a pajama top off a sleeping girl. Trust me I know.... wait a minute... no I don't.... :)

yeah its true i wouldnt make something like that up. I have no idea how it happened all i know is that it did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

where can you get 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

BEAT wrote:

There have been reported cases of people becoming posessed and needed exorcisms. I'd rather not find out myself and so steer clear of things that could possibly cause harm.

Sure as kids you play with the things and think nothing of it and we all think the 'stories' associated with them are part of the thrill of the game, after I saw someone possessed I dont doubt that things like that can happen.
    You never believe this ****e is real until you see how it affected someone,
    its freaky alright. I will not allow the things in my house, thats all I have to say ;)

professionals eh ? I find the notion of professionals in this area laughable, con-artists more like. Even if there is such a thing as spirts or ghosts how can anyone be a professional of something so unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

where can you get 1?

Try here Oujii boards
    They don't seem to be taken as seriously in America, I remember you can buy then in most toy shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

it's no easy feat to take a pajama top off a sleeping girl. Trust me I know.... wait a minute... no I don't.... :)

excellent
    :D

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    professionals eh ? I find the notion of professionals in this area laughable, con-artists more like. Even if there is such a thing as spirts or ghosts how can anyone be a professional of something so unknown.

well as in professionals, I mean a priest for one. Priests have been called in to do exorcisms after demon posessions from the use of ouija boards.
    To have a house cleaned of bad spirits you must find yourself someone like a medium or such.
    My roomate had her house "cleaned" before I ever moved in, said there was a dark spirit living inthe house that would do things.
    I will have to ask her what the womans title was but she did some ritual and placed blessing seeds above the dorrs and windows to prevent the spirit from coming back into the house.

IF you believe in that stuff then it will have power over you, the mind is a powerful thing ;)
    Mind you I didnt say I beleived in it, I'd just rather not find out by playing around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Never had the chance but would do it if the chance arose. Don't believe in any of that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I have absolutely no belief in such things as spirits/ghosts/afterlife etc. science answers all my questions. we are biological beings, our functions are all explored and explained in thousands of books. We dont have souls, emotions are merely chemical patterns, and imagination is our only toy, but it is just the ability to create absurd ideas in our minds.

Took part in several ouija boards attempts, nothing ever happened. Anything that does happen is explained scientifically and as someone earlier pointed out, the girl in that story was clearly into the whole thing on a high level and therefore more susceptable to its effects on her mentally as she convinced herself that harm could come of it. Not that i dont have pity for her, i do. I've watched many documentaries, heard many stories, in person and otherwise, and i dont like calling anyone a liar but i literally refuse to believe anyone claiming such things are real. I can believe stories, but their explanations are simply explained by extreme imaginations and beliefs. Not shutting down on this, by all means question me, if i'm ever proved wrong i'll back down, but it will never be proved because there's always an easier explanation, some people simply want to believe.

On a side note i dont believe in God or fate or anything along similar lines.

Also i have been known to actually smile occasionally :D

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember the exorcism they performed live on Sky News years ago? It was shortly after they started to broadcast. I remember it was the talk of the school yard the next day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BEAT wrote:
    To have a house cleaned of bad spirits you must find yourself someone like a medium or such.
    My roomate had her house "cleaned" before I ever moved in, said there was a dark spirit living inthe house that would do things.
    So, an average-sized black housekeeper is what you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

For people taking the p!ss out of the guys story...leave it out, he's obviously being genuine no matter what any of you think may have happend, secondly science can only explain what we know....history dictates that scientific defenition changes as we learn...so its foolish to asume that if science doesnt acknwledge somethingthat its not possible...earth flat blah blah, newton was initially a laughing stock blah blah Einstein was ridiculed blah blah.........thirdly
    it's no easy feat to take a pajama top off a sleeping girl. Trust me I know.... wait a minute... no I don't....
    Brilliant!!!! :D:D:D

Finaly, i have no idea wheter it's true or not, and even if it is it could be a coincidence, but food for thought none the less, a mate of mine told me (and i've never know him to bullsh!t) his sister did a ouije board with 5 other people....they hadnt a clue wat they were doing but "found" a spirit who was a traveler who killed his 2 yr old son and the mother....eventually he was killed by her familly. Anyway, they never did the Evil or good question, and through out the board, didnt burn it, and within a week a family member of each person who did it (Thats 6 family members!!!) were dead :eek::eek::eek: 2 of whom were very young and very unexpected!!! I'm not suggesting for a second that this "spirit" or whatever killed them...but still freaked the fook out of me!!!!
    Wouldn't mess with it for the simple reason...just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I have absolutely no belief in such things as spirits/ghosts/afterlife etc. science answers all my questions. we are biological beings, our functions are all explored and explained in thousands of books. We dont have souls, emotions are merely chemical patterns, and imagination is our only toy, but it is just the ability to create absurd ideas in our minds.

Took part in several ouija boards attempts, nothing ever happened. Anything that does happen is explained scientifically and as someone earlier pointed out, the girl in that story was clearly into the whole thing on a high level and therefore more susceptable to its effects on her mentally as she convinced herself that harm could come of it. Not that i dont have pity for her, i do. I've watched many documentaries, heard many stories, in person and otherwise, and i dont like calling anyone a liar but i literally refuse to believe anyone claiming such things are real. I can believe stories, but their explanations are simply explained by extreme imaginations and beliefs. Not shutting down on this, by all means question me, if i'm ever proved wrong i'll back down, but it will never be proved because there's always an easier explanation, some people simply want to believe.

On a side note i dont believe in God or fate or anything along similar lines.

You sound like a fun guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I did about 6 years ago with a load of mates and it scared the **** out of us!

We talked to a few ppl/spirits, one of them was bad and the glass kept spelling '666', the glass was moving that fast that we knew it wasnt one of us moving it or pushing it. We heard that you're supposed to ask whether you can leave the table/board but this 'evil' spirit kept pushing the glass to 'No' whenever we asked - we were there talking to him for well over half an hour. In the end we just ripped it up.

Wont be doing it again :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

MYself and a few mates tried it years ago and got a spirit (someone in the group was good at tricking people if you ask me).
    The board went up in flames after a while and one of the guys got so freaked hes been to John of Gods a couple of times since.
    Noone will admit to rigging it still but someone did.
    I didnt believe a bit of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what i want to know is, if the glass moves itself, why does it need a bunch of people to have a finger on it?
    i mean, these spirits seem to have no problem doing things when no ones watching, but you take your finger off a glass, and it refuses to play?
    hmm, im a little skeptical, and i think we should have a ouiji board in the pub when im over next!

as far im concerned, if theres a spirit in the glass, mines a jack daniels thanks....

• Advertisement
Advertisement