Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing/D.24 SDCC

Options
  • 17-01-2005 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has anyone here gone through the affordable housing process with SDCC?
    I had my interview & paid the admin fee last week.They said to ring them in approx 2 weeks to see if i've been approved.Then they said i'd be placed on list awaiting the offering of a dwelling. I'm going for a 2 bed apartment so i know i'll skip people who are waiting for 3-4 bed houses.
    My question is - what is the shortest time anyone has had to wait to get the offer & what is the longest? Also, from time of offer to moving in - how long?

(i know people in Dublin City Council juristiction have to enter a lottery system as there are so many applicants so i know i'm pretty lucky being with SDCC-i'm just looking to find out the expected wait involved)

Thanks
    Mrs.B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

well i have appiled for that a good while ago and sent in the application fee to Dublin City Council and have not heard a single thing since, so at least you had an interview from them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs.Babalady

That's a real pain Winnie! I originally applied for shared ownership & was called 2 weeks later for the interview during which they informed me affordable housing was the only real option available to me.

Hey, just as I was typing this the council rang me in work.
    They are processing my application as we speak & needed some information from my employer. Lady said she was verifying all the details & would then send it this week for approval. I'm in shock, not used to the efficiency.

Hey Winnie, would you consider applying to South Dublin County Council.They seem to have a lot more units available & also seem very up to date with the paperwork although I know you probably want to live in the area your from-as I do.

I hope you hear something soon.

I got my Cerificate of Approval for Affordable Housing today in the post.
    Yipeeeeee

Now all I have to do is sit & wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I got my Cerificate of Approval for Affordable Housing today in the post.
    Yipeeeeee

Now all I have to do is sit & wait.....
    You have to be from the SDCC area to apply for affordable housing in the SDCC area. I know of a guy who got one after 12 months. He will be moving in 2 months.

Oh I hope i'm not waiting that long.

Friend of my brothers was approved in November is currently doing his snag list.

I applied for south of the N7 & this area has much more developements going up at the minute.

I did hear that north of the N7 has a MUCH linger waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Do they have a max price limit on Affordable Housing? I had all the paper work done
    for applying but never got round to getting it in. I think i will now.

I don't know Logic if there is a upper limit.
    The way they work out how much they give you is Nett monthly incoming minus Nett monthly outgoings & the mortgage is based on the difference.
    So you will get more if you increase the term of any loans therefore reducing your monthly outgoings.
    I have been approved for a certain amount but i am hoping to get more (the figure is not finite) by doing the above before they actually offer me anywhere so by all means send in your application & get yourself on the list. They will advise you of how to increase your potential mortgage in the interim period.
    I have found them very helpful.
    PM me if you want more in depth detail

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it's more an upper limit to income than anything else.

The councils get the land free and resell the buildings at or about cost, but with a claw-back clause if you sell in the first 10 years or so.

Got call from council today, have viewing of property that i'm eligible for tomorrow.
    Have no further details at present, will keep you informed as & when...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Good luck, hope all goes well

• Advertisement

Pulled up at the viewing on Wednesday & it was a house. Was bit miffed as i knew i was only cleared for enough to buy an apartment. It was a 3 bedroomed house, painted, with coving, bathroom & kitchen half tiled. Very well presented.
    Went to the guy after the viewing & said i was still interested but didn't think i was cleared for a high enough mortgage. He said the Certificate they send out to people was based on a 25 year mortgage & that they could look at my details again which they did & they increased the terms to a 30 year mortgage thus upping what i can borrow. So i am buying a 3 bedroomed house now. Paying deposit wednesday. Cannot believe my luck. Really thought i'd only get a 1 or maybe 2 bedroomed apartment as i'm buying alone.

So there is hope out there, i found S.D.C.C very helpful & accomodating.

Good luck to everyone else who has applied & is waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you really need a 3-bed? (I presume you are by yourself). Are you allowed rent out the spare rooms?

Yeh, I am on my own so no, I don't need a three bed but i've saved enough, I earn enough , I need housing , I can make the repayments & I meet the criteria so I suppose that's why they offered it to me.
    (the available houses are divided into social housing,voluntary housing & affordable housing so i'm not taking a house away from a family who needs it or anything like that)

I can make use of the rent-a-room scheme but I havn't decided yet if I will or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So basically all the people in the estate who do not get the benefit of qualifying for social housing have to subsidise those who do? And they can buy three bedroom houses which are totally beyond their requirements? It's a great country for some!

Well Hmmmm, if that's your opinion I'm not going to try & change it.

I'm subsidising people who live across the street from me as they are social housing. Mother of 3 children by 3 different fathers who is living with a man (father to none of the children) who i'm sure the council doesn't know is living there.

I suggest if you have a problem with the laws etc regulating these schemes that you use your vote to voice your opinion (as I do)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trevorgilligan

Hi there,

My name is Trevor Gilligan and I am a councillor in Clondalkin / Lucan for the SDCC. With regard to a few of the issues mentioned in the scheme:

Usually when you apply it can be one year at most I would say to close deal but dont quote me on it.

Units come in as new develo0pments do. For example none for three months and then 45new apartments in lets say north of n7 means that a few people get off the list. I think the number of new dwellings for this year for affordable is 10% of all new develom0pents.

No max price, You pay the cost of construction and whatever % that is of market value that is your claw back;

Yes more developments in Tallaght;

If the dwelling costs say 100000 and your mortgage max loan is 80000 if you can pay 20000 up front then you can get the dwelling!

Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

its insane when u think about it. why should anyone pay less for a house than anyone else?
    you get nothing for nothing in this world, and someone is paying for the transfer of wealth to these people. so call it another tax and not 'affordable housing'

• Registered Users Posts: 5 trevorgilligan

Basically, if you get a dwelling you have to keep it for twenty years to save half price! Otherwise you pay the percentage of the price when you sell based on the percentage of what you paid for it. After ten years this 'claw back' diminishes by 10% every year.

Also even if there was no claw back residents purchasing there house ten years ago have made at least 200% r.o.i. and this prevents young people from getting on the prop ladder. Also why shouldnt the boom from the economy allow young people starting off getting on the ladder?

Trev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Also even if there was no claw back residents purchasing there house ten years ago have made at least 200% r.o.i. and this prevents young people from getting on the prop ladder. Also why shouldnt the boom from the economy allow young people starting off getting on the ladder?

Trev

so? its called the free market. the goverment have tried desperately to warp the market, someone has to pay for it, the fact that money is clawed back is irrelevent. the reduced capital investment is worth in excess of 5000 euro a year just in interest on a 130000 euro saving off market value. and theres a loss to the gpvernment of 6000 circa in stamp duty

to be honest, after paying income tax, value added tax, vehicle registration tax, stamp duty, capital gains taxes, motor taxes, excise duties, i take great offence at this. its discrimination by any other name. its one thing paying taxes keeping the fabric of society together so people dont starve and get educated so they can achieve something, its another thing people getting cheap houses on the back of everyone else.

just today i was in nass and a 1 bed flat is 235000 euro and a 2 bed 265000, and this is 20miles from dublin! the reason for the rises is partly the fault of the government who want to skew the free market. paying 8 times annual pretax income for a sh!tty 1 bed flat 20 miles from dublin isnt the free market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

lomb wrote:
    to be honest, after paying income tax, value added tax, vehicle registration tax, stamp duty, capital gains taxes, motor taxes, excise duties, i take great offence at this. QUOTE]

Oh no. Your offeneded eh? You can please some of the people all of the time...
    The people who qualify for these dwellings are people on low to mid income. People who have no chance of buying a house in todays market. so what should they do. Become homeless? Stay with their parents? why not help them out? I dont fall into that catagory so I'll have to come up with another way of purchasing a home for myself but I certainly wont begrudge someone because they get an ' affordable home'. the way your going on you'd think that people who go for the affordable housing dont have to pay income tax, value added tax, vehicle registration tax, stamp duty, capital gains taxes, motor taxes, excise duties. they do. we all do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement