Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with FireFox to IE. Reward*

Options
  • 17-01-2005 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Wonderin if anyone can help, I've got a site and it looks well enough in FireFox. Actually it looks very well but... IE wont do the width of the Div tag properly? Whats goin on: Heres the css:
    div.body {
    position:absolute;
    top:26%;
    left:15%;
    right:15%;
    width:70%;
    padding-left: 30px;
    padding-top:30px;
    padding-right:30px;
    padding-bottom:10px;
    border-style: solid solid solid solid;
    border-width: 1px;
    font: normal 10pt Tahoma;
    }
    I only added the right bit to see if it worked but it didn't. I tried swaping the width and right attributes and stuff but to no avail... is there anyone who can help? I know its something simple but the web is so full of references and its too much to crawl through?

Thanks

*Reward in Heaven

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IE (especially the windows versions) has a nasty habit of not following standards whenever it feels like it, try putting this at the top of your doc, before the <html> tag
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

You could also try this in the <head> section,
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Thanks but yeah i got that already... I've just found Theres something weird about my index page in that its the only one thats wrong... All the others are right but I cant see where it is... All the pages reference the same css file!

Hmmm...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I actually have similar problem that I've never really found the answer to, altough I haven't been bothered too much by it. I set the background colour for all my pages in a seperate css file and it works fine for all pages but the index. Other elements (links etc) on it render properly according to the style sheet but the background just stays white.

The weird thing is if I refresh the page the background then takes on the correct colour. I've cleared out the cache to make sure that there was no cached copies of an older css file or index page causing this, I've also changed things like the links and these changes come through ok but I still have to refresh each time to get the background. It's almost as if IE starts to render the page while it loads the css and then finishes the page. Then for the rest of the pages it already has the css so they render ok. Does refresh do anything for you ?

Advertisement