Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Meteor (sorry)

Options
  • 17-01-2005 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, I've asked loads of questions on this one and still haven't got the finger out.

Just one more: I mailed info@meteor.ie but got no reply.

If I move, can I buy a new phone from Meteor at the usual pay later subsidised prices? I know you can do this with Vodafone...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never mind. They must read this forum, I just got an answer - yes you can.

/me waves to Meteor folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seamus wrote:
    Never mind. They must read this forum, I just got an answer - yes you can.

/me waves to Meteor folk

Yes they do , they resolved the free text offer post i had very quickly after i posted here.

/ me waves at meteor folk too, can she have the 20 euro you owe her back now?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I wouldn’t advise meteor. There signal is **** and the reliability of their services is even worse... e.g. free texts from 085 to 085... I had to phone them up I'd say about 20-30 times, none of them helped. None what so ever. They would always say that they fixed the problem I was having and then when I would try to use that supposed "fix" they made, it would still be the way it was when I'd have called them... their ****e, simple as that.

Many times I’d phone them and I’d be going thru the customer... press 1 etc... Menu and then half way I’d just be like cut off... and would have to start the whole process from the start. And other times I'd be on the phone to them, and the signal would begin to go... I'd tell them that the signal was going; informing them that it was just another example of the ridiculous amount of flaws in their network.

They are just some of the problems which I've been having with them... The one thing meteor have gotten right is, the name... They're a flaming ball of sh!te that's going to hit rock bottom... really soon...

Mark my words, if you move to meteor, you'll wish you never had...

You've been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

...by one person.

i to am thinking of changing to meteor :: for the cost savings compared to o2 on international calls and txts.

and given i'm having problems receiving intl txts for the last fortnight and have been bounced around o2 and alltel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Free texts
    Crap support unless you post here
    Calls can be cheaper kinda
    Never leave dublin (if i do its without her so no coverage is great)
    WAp/GPRS sucks unless you sitting on a antenna

thats it i use them for the free texts hate talking on mobiles , house phone for that .

Oh i have a sim card able for free texts here somewhere must find it .

kdjac

Agreed. The GPRS network is bursting at the seems. Browsing is extremely slow during the day. It's usually ok from around 2:00am - 1:00pm or so, after that it slows down to a crawl. A lot of phones even time out and won't connect at all.

This only started happening in the last few months.

Shrimp wrote:
    Meteor in my opinion is very amature.. just doesn't cut it

I'll agree with you there, the support is rubbish. But for me I have no other choice unless I want to be screwed by Vodafone or O2.

Meteor in my opinion is very amature.. just doesn't cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Meteor...

signal quality less than great...
    Half the texts wouldn't send
    GPRS and MMS didn't work at all (nokia 3510i), despite several calls to them, all ending in "ok now try again in an hour". Even got them to change sim caard, and nothing. Each phone call began with a 15 minute wait, and did exactly as they instructed....

Changed to vodefone one day and everything worked perfectly from the very beginning. (same phone)

<edit>oops..the MMS thing is a lie. It did work on two occasions.. I sent an MMS to a vodafone customer, and another to an O2 customer... both messages took *3 weeks* to deliver</edit>

• Advertisement

I did the exact same thing last week andrew

I moved to meteor last year

They have the strangest coverage.
    For example my phone is now on the desk,I'm not moving it,I'm looking at it.
    It goes from 3 bars to 2 bars to no bars to 3 bars to no bars, stays at no bars then 3 bars for a while and then 1 bar etc etc
    IE very unstable.

The best meteor coverage I've experienced was in Vienna in november, it was excelent there, very stable thanks to roaming on austrian networks.
    Heck my meteor phone worked great just down the road in Brataslava too.

I had great coverage last week too in Bandon-oh did I tell you why? because I was roaming on O2's network.

So there you go Seamus.
    By the way their roaming with O2 applies to areas down the west, it certainly doesnt help you here in the East.
    They only allow you to roam on certain cells, which is something they dont make clear in their literature or advertising.
    When I go into the kitchen here I lose coverage altogether, it says SOS calls only, while asking to go on o2 there is refused.

Oh and if you have 2 bars of reception send an email instead or use the land line.

Disgruntled soon to be former meteor customer

well put..

I'm probably happy with Meteor because I'm roaming on O2. Had too many bad experiences with Vodafone and O2 just isn't economical for me anymore since nobody I know is with them anymore.

Still, if anyone could suggest something other than Meteor that isn't part of rip-off Ireland then I'll be happy to hear it, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

hmmmm, i really havent experienced any thing like that. Im with meteor nigh on 2 years now, and problems have been few and far between. I once lost my sim card and rang up to get a replacement, was told it would cost €15 to get the same number, had a bit of a joke with the guy on the end, told him the circumstances of how it was lost, and he said feck it, sure ill turn a blind eye to that €15. So happy days! I thought that was good customer service tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

any way to get free texts on pay later?

I already have a sim with free texts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaC wrote:
    Free texts
    Unlike O2 and Vodafone you can no longer send international webtexts for free. I'd move but for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Unlike O2 and Vodafone you can no longer send international webtexts for free. I'd move but for this.
    I didn't know Vodafone could send international texts (?) I thought they automaticly changed the number you enter to be +3538(5|6|7).....

In fact a quick trip to the vodafone webtext page and it says the following:
    "Now you can send 300 FREE Webtext messages every month to any national mobile number."
    Have you sent international texts with voadfone.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Genghis

I moved to Meteor from O2 about 5 months ago. Best thing I ever did. Whereas I was spending €50-80 on bill with O2 I am now spending €20-25 per month PAYG on Meteor. I have had no issues with coverage, though I can echo the GPRS problems. However, not being a big user of WAP services, this doesn't bother me too much. I'd say dropped calls and failed SMS rates are about 1% - or maybe less.

Overall, I think Meteor are better. I also feel good about avoiding the ugly oligopoly O2 and Vodafone have built up - up to €1m profits per day each ...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Genghis wrote:
    I moved to Meteor from O2 about 5 months ago. Best thing I ever did. Whereas I was spending €50-80 on bill with O2 I am now spending €20-25 per month PAYG on Meteor. I have had no issues with coverage, though I can echo the GPRS problems. However, not being a big user of WAP services, this doesn't bother me too much. I'd say dropped calls and failed SMS rates are about 1% - or maybe less.

Overall, I think Meteor are better. I also feel good about avoiding the ugly oligopoly O2 and Vodafone have built up - up to €1m profits per day each ...

Ya i rarely have a prob with meteor, been on all three networks and best thing i ever did was move to meteor, i'm saving easily €60 pm on what i used to spend on the other two networks. I find the sms sending and recieving are way way faster. Ya customer care is slow, but i usually find everything does get sorted in the end! I rarely, as in very rarely have coverage issues. Barely use GPRS either so I cant fault them there.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:

When I go into the kitchen here I lose coverage altogether, it says SOS calls only, while asking to go on o2 there is refused.

Odd i get no coverage in my kitchen too , but in bathroom its fine or if i open kitchen window it works.

Very odd but free texts is free texts (16993 sent 16634 rec since march last year, go on work it out, and thats nothing to the 300 a day others have sent)

Jaysus if i in toilet and their no toilet roll i text downstairs for someone to get it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ya i rarely have a prob with meteor, been on all three networks and best thing i ever did was move to meteor, i'm saving easily €60 pm on what i used to spend on the other two networks. I find the sms sending and recieving are way way faster. Ya customer care is slow, but i usually find everything does get sorted in the end! I rarely, as in very rarely have coverage issues. Barely use GPRS either so I cant fault them there.

Same here, i've been with them for now 2 months, rarely have problems. I don't use wap crap though.
    Coverage is fine, sms and mms send fine to other networks wherever i am in the country(on nokia 6610i), saved a fortune on vodafone robbers i was with previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I moved when the free texts came out, havent had any problems, lost a phone, got the same number back two days later without paying (as i had been with them six months.) I have my wap settings set up to ring a number at 13c a minute rather than 2c a kb, the mms work fine, though sometimes they do take a while, never had a problem with the customer care. Coverage is permanently on full bars, all in all very happy i moved from Vodafone, ive saved 20+euro a month.

Just wondering about that free texts offer, i've been with o2 for ages and am happy with the service, although many of my friends are on meteor and i now want a sim with free texts to 085, is this offer still availble?
    and if not does anyone have an old one they want a tenner for?(or whatever).
    Also don't really like the idea of two phones, would like to use both sims in the one, i've got my phone unlocked so it will take a metoer sim, is there any alternative to swapping them all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i think the free text for life offer ended back in spet, though im open to correction

Yep, October 1st to be exact.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Hopefully Vodafone and O2 will get that boot firmly shoved up their... and maybe Meteor will rent from them more than they currently do. That should clear up a few things. Then again I've no problem with Meteor and never really have had. Free texts just rocks so much. Saving myself tonnes of money by being on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

I got a Nokia PAYG yesterday - enabled WAP and MMS and then tried to download a ringtone from meteor.ie - after 1 hour nothing arrived - phoned Customer Support who said they'd resend settings and I'd have to turn phone off for 20 minutes :(
    Did this and again downloaded ringtone - after 1 hour nothing - phones CS again told they'd resend settings, I'd have to turn off phone for 20 minutes and then send a blank MMS to myself to activate settings :(:(
    Did this and MMS started working - was able to use WAP - but still no ringtone downloaded - checked in Service Inbox - both there tried umpteen times to download - each time getting GPRS connection unavailable :mad:
    Tried again this morning to download from Service Inbox - got error message saying I had waited too long to download (ffs) - spoke to CS they said I should have downloaded within 1 hour - I said how the **ck could I if I couldn't get a GPRS connection - and could I have my €2.50 back to download again - even though I had spent over €6 by now. Girl in CS said she would have to escalate to their technical support and I'd have to phone back in 24 hrs and she was not authorised to credit me with €2.50

Not a very good start to moving to Meteor ... :p

Gosh wrote:
    tried umpteen times to download - each time getting GPRS connection unavailable :mad:
    Meteor's GPRS has been badly congested for the last few months - and they deny it too. I just don't use it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Seems there's an issue with Meteor and Firefox which Meteor know about, but don't seem to care about much.

Maybe the Meteor spies can fix this ? :)

Advertisement