Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I don't do deals'

Options
  • 17-01-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Speaking as a reformed deal refuser I think deals are often a very good idea in one night tournaments simply because the antes get so high that skill doesn't even come into the equation. Once upon a time I remember refusing a deal which would have paid me 600 (I was only in for 25 quid) and 10 minutes later I'm walking away with 275 or something. I just remember thinking 'I've got more chips than the other 2 players and I can just grind one of them into submission with the blinds at 5000 and 10000 and then do a better deal with the remaining guy or even better just keep going and knock him out too and then it'll be all mine, all mine (evil laugh)'. I was like a fat kid in a sweet shop with his confirmation money, I wanted it all and I wanted it now and in the end I only succeeded in making myself puke and in looking like a greedy twat.

Then to compound matters even further and to almost emotionally drive myself off the edge I did the same thing again about a week later, refused a deal which would have paid me 700 and walked away with about 250, needless to say I was really p*issed off and I chastised myself for about 4 days and swore to never to have such an idiotic 'I don't do deals' mentality again. The blinds just get too high late in the night that you don't really have a realistic chance of outplaying somebody, you'll need to be prepared to gamble because waiting for good hole cards will only see you anted away. I believe in the monthly tournament in the Fitzwilliam last month there was a guy who refused a deal paying him 7000 euro and only ended up netting 1000, can you imagine how sick you'd feel after that? Is it just me or is winning 6,730 euro in one night not an absolutely incredible result? I would have snapped that up straight away, it would have been an amazing stroke of luck for both me and for the lovely people over at MBNA's credit control department.

I been shafted in deals too and have probably ended up taking less than my share but I think that's a lot to do with my current overriding willingness to take the money and run. To compensate that though I've played in a tournament when an inexperienced chip leader with about 70% of the table chips was convinced by a couple of battle hardened old shortstacks that a deal (which gave him about 40% of the pot and left the 3 of us with 20% each) was a great idea, meanwhile I just sat back and cringed while the other 2 financially molested him. The 3 of us got 20% of the pot even though each of us held only 10% of the chips, he got 40% of the pot but he held 70% of the chips. We were all happy enough though and I suppose it all boils down to the money aspect at the end of the day, if winning 500 or 600 euro in one night is a great result for you then why not do a deal?

In conclusion I think people who refuse deals when the antes are ridiculously high and the stacks are pretty level are just gambling and I hate them. In fact, statistics have shown that 95% of deal refusers still live with their parents, haven't had a girlfriend in over 5 years, rarely wash, never miss Power Rangers on TG4, collect stamps and are afraid of the dark. I hope they all lose their house keys and their mobile phones in a taxi on the way home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

No Deals!!! I'm way up because of my no deals policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Ian147100 wrote:
    never miss Power Rangers on TG4

Interesting that you would know it was on TG4 :)

Advertisement