Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear Weapons - The only answer?

Options
  • 17-01-2005 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

I'm horrified that I find myself saying this, but I've come to the sad conclusion that it seems nuclear weapon technology is the only answer.

Iraq didn't possess any WMD's, I was sure of this before the war, and off course I'm sure almost everyone is sure of this now. The US knew this, the british knew it. They lied and propagandised to manufacture an excuse to attack, and later claim that WMD was never the sole/most important reason. Yet North Korea that definately does posses such weapons is diplomatically negotiated with.

So bearing all this in mind, it would seem the only way to guarentee that the US won't invade/bully you into submission is if you have nuclear weapons as a deterrant. While this off course creates an increasingly dangerous and less stable environment for everyone concerned, it seems that the only way countries like Syria or Iran can retain their independence is if the aquire nuclear weapon technology.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

You can't hug your children with nuclear weapons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

interesting, does Ireland or any other non nuclear power in europe now need to equip themselves with nukes to prevent themsleves falling victim to US bullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course not ...... we have no oil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Memnoch wrote:
    Iraq didn't possess any WMD's, I was sure of this before the war, and of course I'm sure almost everyone is sure of this now.

Such vision! Why are'nt you our leader?

The idea that having nukes will protect against the mad dog imperialist whores er...of the United States of America is plainly daft what most likely is that one country, say Iraq would simply turn them on thier neighbour say Iran....that'll fix everything.

Here we could wait anxiously for the C/P/O-IRA to break into the Irish launch site in Tallaght and nuke Perfidious Albion. While the exchange between
    Turkey and Greece would be inevitable, though brief.

Mike.

Nuttzz wrote:
    interesting, does Ireland or any other non nuclear power in europe now need to equip themselves with nukes to prevent themsleves falling victim to US bullying?

No,but I would imagine that is because our economies are subservient to the demands of corporate America.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Memnoch wrote:
    I'm horrified that I find myself saying this, but I've come to the sad conclusion that it seems nuclear weapon technology is the only answer.
    you could always try and make the enemy gay...
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/17/arms.homosexual.reut/index.html
    The U.S. military rejected a 1994 proposal to develop an "aphrodisiac" to spur homosexual activity among enemy troops but is hard at work on other less-than-lethal weapons, defense officials said Sunday. The proposal, disclosed in response to a Freedom of Information request, called for developing chemicals affecting human behavior "so that discipline and morale in enemy units is adversely affected."
    or give them bad breath...
    Another idea involved creating "severe and lasting halitosis" to help sniff out fighters trying to blend with civilians.
    or what about a bug plague?
    The Air Force Research Laboratory also suggested using chemicals that could be sprayed on enemy positions to attract stinging and biting bugs, rodents and larger animals.
    seriously....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No,but I would imagine that is because our economies are subservient to the demands of corporate America.

We cannot allow this to happen! I suggest that we follow the original posters idea and develop nukes so that we can have an independent economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Azza wrote:
    You can't hug your children with nuclear weapons!

wasn't it 'you can't hug your kids with nuclear arms'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

solas wrote:
    you could always try and make the enemy gay...
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/17/arms.homosexual.reut/index.html

or give them bad breath...
    or what about a bug plague?

seriously....

They're discussing this on Newstalk at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I think Korea proved the way to keep the US at bay.
    They straight forward threatend that if the US would pull the same thing off with them as they did with Iraq, then they would prove that they Have Nukes in stock, by giving a demonstration on them.
    Since then I do have to say that I have respect for Korea. they didn't curl up and obey the mighty Daddy US

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

er yeah.. I also have respect for the marvellous way that N. Korea run their economy. Such visionaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Nuttzz wrote:

No, but it seems if you've been labelled as part of the Axis of Evil already, its a workable tactic. You either:

a) Get diplomatic talks.
    b) Get your nuclear facilities, and the rest of your country bombed.
    c) Get the rest of your country bombed.

Considering the default US tactic with the Axis of Evil is (c) anyway, you can't really go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

What about Libya? They saw what happened to Iraq and disarmed their WMD capibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Depends on what they saw happen Iraq. I'm sure they knew as well as everyone else that Iraq was personal - not business.

toiletduck wrote:
    What about Libya? They saw what happened to Iraq and disarmed their WMD capibility.
    Yes, but you have to have something to disarm. In Iraq's case, they had nothing to disarm, but because there was no visible disarming process, the coalition had the ammunition to make a case for war. Get yourself some WMDs -> disarm = happy days.

North Korea -> Have nukes -> Result = diplomatic effort.
    Libya -> Had WMDs -> Result = diplomatic effort.
    Iraq -> Had no WMDs -> Result = invasion.

It seems to me that if I was the tyrannical leader of an Axis-of-Evil country, I'd get me some WMDs to bargain with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

3 Ships circled the bay in iraq, when the forces noticed this they went to search them and found them to be empty, this could have been were weapons were stored, but the war and WMD are wrong end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There was no 3 ships containing WMD. It was just an excuse at the time for the US to conduct piracy, that was until they got slapped for it.

As for NK it is better for them to continue the NK/SK divide then it is to arrange a peace or let NK nuke SK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

i know americans have great amginations but still i find it hard to believe that they made up 3 boats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It appears oversimplification and FUD are as fashionable as ever.

Heh. I know I'm drastically oversimplifying the situation, but there does seem to be a rather distinct correlation between countries having a recognisable threat, and being given a great deal of diplomatic leeway. Now, I'm not advocating the use of nuclear weapons, or indeed weapons of any kind, but there are governments out there that are prepared to go to those lengths to survive. It would seem to me that as a diplomatic tactic, the posession of a nuclear arsenal is proving an effective means to survive for those governments. Maybe thats stating the very very obvious, but I would have thought that in todays political climate, the west would be trying to downplay the proliferation of a nuclear arsenal as a bargaining tool. In my opinion, they seem to be doing the opposite. Feel free to point out where you think that is inaccurate.

• Advertisement

It seems that vBulletin is doing its best to eat my reply, so excuse my while I take the time to differentiate my posts by saying blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

*ahem*

Thank you. Now for the actual post:

Heh. I know I'm drastically oversimplifying the situation, but there does seem to be a rather distinct correlation between countries having a recognisable threat, and being given a great deal of diplomatic leeway. Now, I'm not advocating the use of nuclear weapons, or indeed weapons of any kind, but there are governments out there that are prepared to go to those lengths to survive. It would seem to me that as a diplomatic tactic, the posession of a nuclear arsenal is proving an effective means to survive for those governments. Maybe thats stating the very very obvious, but I would have thought that in todays political climate, the west would be trying to downplay the proliferation of a nuclear arsenal as a bargaining tool. In my opinion, they seem to be doing the opposite. Feel free to point out where you think that is inaccurate.

Advertisement