Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wireless router?

• 17-01-2005 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Anyone any opinions on which is the best all-round wireless router to go for?

I'm in IOLBB, if it matters. Would like to use work laptop at home without the cabling hassle, and maybe a few other PC's as well.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

if it's 802.11b which is the normal 11mb wifi wireless and budget matters to you then I recommend one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44997&item=5743233704&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I bought a few of them and use one @ home and they're perfect not to mention great value, you need either a different lead as the connection is 2 pin US or do what I did & simply used one of those white travel convertors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ye I would like to hook up a laptop to the broadband some how but I already have a pc connected. What do I need to get the laptop online too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SwampThing wrote:
    Anyone any opinions on which is the best all-round wireless router to go for?

I'm in IOLBB, if it matters. Would like to use work laptop at home without the cabling hassle, and maybe a few other PC's as well.

Cheers.

If you dont want to go the cheap route then either the linksys wag54g or the netgear dg 834g at about 120 euros each are grand. Both have modems too. dont forget the cost of wireless cards for the pcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

cheesedude wrote:
    Ye I would like to hook up a laptop to the broadband some how but I already have a pc connected. What do I need to get the laptop online too?
    If your router does DHCP then a hub and that's it. You can get cheap 10/100Mb switches for about €40 + VAT.
    dub45 wrote:
    If you dont want to go the cheap route then either the linksys wag54g or the netgear dg 834g at about 120 euros each are grand.
    What about 108Mb - anything out there been tested yet? I suppose I could keep an internal NIC for gaming/large file handling but if there's 100Mb+ wireless available, why would I bother?

Advertisement