Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed/Thrash?

Options
  • 17-01-2005 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

I need a little help here. Is there much of a difference between these two? If so, what is it? I've read things saying that Metallica and Slayer are speed and not thrash, yet they are the most well known thrash bands. What's the story? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

well, most people consider the first 1 or 2 of the big 4's albums to be thrash/speed metal. Metallica went from thrash speed to heavy metal. Slayer went from thrash speed to black death thrash speed. Anthrax went from thrash speed to rap/heavy metal. Megadeth went from thrash speed to heavy metal. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Speed/Thrash are pretty much the same difference. Speed seems to be more melodic than thrash, but there is very little difference. Bah. I don't class my music like that. I just have "Good" and "Bad". Pop and Rap go in "Bad"... 'cept Anthrax's quasi-rap... things going in "Good" have to earn that place... they don't get in just for being, for example, Thrash. Most Viking Rock gets in fine. That stuff is hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The term 'speed' is too vague in my opinion, as it can apply to death, thrash, black and power metal, but I would just use it as an extra tag to another genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Back in the day (mid-late 80's) there wasn't really a distinction, the amerikkkans tended to use the term speed whereas in Europe the term thrash was widely used but the scene had pretty much passed away by 92/93. I imagine the confusion is being caused by Kerrang now that Metal is cool again and they're trying to prove how old school they are by rolling out irrelevant terminologies :rolleyes:

Sacred Reich, Exodus, Anthrax, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Slammer, Annihilator, Slayer, Kreator, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Voivod, DRI, Sepultura, Destruction, Tankard, Suicidal Tendencies, MOD, Xentrix, Sabbat, Sodom, Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Coronor, Hades, Agent Steel,

all these bands were called speed and/or thrash at some stage. They all kick ass, more importantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Bass.exe wrote:
    Speed/Thrash are pretty much the same difference. Speed seems to be more melodic than thrash, but there is very little difference. Bah. I don't class my music like that. I just have "Good" and "Bad". Pop and Rap go in "Bad"... 'cept Anthrax's quasi-rap... things going in "Good" have to earn that place... they don't get in just for being, for example, Thrash. Most Viking Rock gets in fine. That stuff is hilarious. :D

Agreed!

Why complicate things more than it actually is!?

Metal is metal!

Too many bloody labels for it nowadays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Doctor J wrote:
    Sacred Reich, Exodus, Anthrax, Metallica, Testament, Exodus, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Slammer, Annihilator, Slayer, Kreator, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Voivod, DRI, Sepultura, Destruction, Tankard, Suicidal Tendencies, MOD, Xentrix, Sabbat, Sodom, Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Coronor, Hades, Agent Steel,

all these bands were called speed and/or thrash at some stage. They all kick ass, more importantly.

Quoted for truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

That's brilliant. Thanks all. Now if only someone could tell me what the difference is between symphonic scandinavian forest metal and melodic northen troll metal.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Slayer went from thrash speed to black death thrash speed

What the hell? Black Death Thrash Speed? Where did that come from?

Advertisement